Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Active Pup

Default HELP! Good Beginner Dog For These Conditions?

This is a very specific thread, so those who are experienced dog owners would be best in answering this.

I live in a very bad part of town, with soon to be only my dad and myself, and lately, my dad and I have been entertaining the thought of getting a dog for possible protection while I'm alone in my house. I'm a homeschool student (a junior to be exact), and am gone for only a period of about three hours, two times a week, so I figure I should have a lot of time to train a puppy if I get one. I understand the responsibilities of having a dog, so I'm trying my best to get a dog that would fit well in my household, as I don't want to get a breed of dog that's too much for me to handle, and end up spoiling the dog because of it.

These are some of the things I'm looking for in a dog... As I said, I hope to be able to get a breed of dog that would do well as protection. A medium sized dog preferably, maybe around rottweiler sized, and a dog that isn't too high energy. My dad and I don't do a lot of going out, and I am not a naturally active person, so unless I exert myself to try and satisfy an energetic breed's needs, a more tame, though playful breed would be nice. Again, this is my first time owning a dog, so a dog that a new owner could adapt to easily is preferred. A breed that does well inside, with exception to being taken out for walks and the like, as my house doesn't have a fenced yard. And, last but not least, I hope to get a dog that could do well with smaller animals, such as cats. (I have a cat... Would raising a puppy with the cat be a smart idea? I don't want a breed that has a tendancy to be small animal aggressive!) Also, I live in the city, so a dog that does well in the city would be a help.

I'm not looking for appearance. I'm looking for loyalty and trust, and a good sense of protection, mainly. It puts my dad at ease, leaving me here alone, to have a dog around that could help protect the family.

Any breed suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Water Junkie

Good place to come for sound advice. Welcome

For starters, any dog, by bonding with it's owner, will naturally protect when really needed.

For specific breeds, I would suggest a LARGE breed over something of force, like a GSD or Rottie. Most people -who are trying to hurt you- are going to be scared of a 200lb dog standing next to you growling. He's not using *force* but presence. Does that make sense?

I would suggest a breed like Newfie, St. Bernard, Mastif, or something of that sort. These dog's don't need many hours of walking/running like a GSD or Rottie would. They WILL protect when needed but just by having that SIZE dog standing next to you would scare anyone.

All of these breeds are lovely dogs and huge lap dogs with their owner. And I would assume, if raised properly and from puppyhood with cats, would do just fine.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Most dogs begin being protective somewhere between one and two years old, so depending on the immediacy of your needs, you might not want a puppy. If you are going to train him to do protection, you don't want him to be low energy.

The first breed that comes to mind would be a german shepherd. A doberman is the second breed. Either one though will need a fair amount of exercise, but they're not typically inclined to be bouncing off walls.

I would suggest having him trained in protection, and having yourself and your dad trained as well in handling. A protection dog needs to have obedience control and needs to be socialized so that he is accepting of friendly strangers. As for being good with cats, that depends on the individual dog, not on the breed. Raising him as a puppy with the cat would help, but isn't a necessity.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-21-2007, 09:00 PM
~Lisa~

I agree size will scare some one. Also to mention normally black dogs are more scary looking. I wouldnt get somthing like a german shepherd or rottie as they do tend to need alot of excersise. If you dont mind drool and grooming a newfie or a mastiff would be a good choice i think. They still need walks, but not as much as a golden retriver or another high energy breed would.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

You wouldn't believe how many people have been afraid of my Goldens !!!! Here you would have a pussycat whose bark would make anyone think twice !!! Personally I like a dog that will bark and alarm .....over an aggressive dog . They are loving family members first .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Considering all the info you posted, I would consider looking for a "watch" dog, not a "protection" dog. Maybe a dog that would bark at strangers, or abnormal sounds?
Don't exclude smaller dogs, as they can give you warning and usually the bark of any dog is a deterrent.
Good luck in finding a great dog.... Just don't "bite" off more than you can chew...
Old 11-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Salty Sea Dog

just as a general side note, even my 3 lb chihuhaua can be protective when he wants to be.

my 10lb chinese crested can be down right scary when she shows those teeth (shes only ever done it once to a man that was making me very uneasy...men tend to back off when a gorwling dog is staring at their crotch.

a rescued greyhound might be great for you if you have a securly fenced dog park locally, they are 40mph couch potatoes in the home, and a good walk with a nice offleash run in a securly fenced area (never let a sighthound offleash in an unfenced area) greys are a large breed but slim, they are quiet indoors but form height alone can be VERY intimidating, they are sweet natured and rescues are pretested for their reactions to cats, i know of many rescued greys that are living happily in homes with cats! they are sweet natured and very loyal and loving to THEIR people. sometimes they seem like there not listening, but there realy just either too lazy or too smart. and a growling grey is definatly something to be aware of.

ive heard alot of good about schnauzers, but im not sure of the energy needs of the breed, i do know however they are very family protective

Staffordshire, american staffies and "pitbulls" (apbt's) can be wonderfull dogs for beginners IF they are bred right and raised properly, they might be a little high energy for you, and while they are certainly not a protective breed (a well bred bully by nautre should love everyone) the shere fact that they are a bully breed and their unfortunate reputation most people would think twice beofre trying it with anyhome with a pit in in...
i only have experience with staffordshire bull terriers from the UK, and i LOVE the breed...

just some suggestions to look into..

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccy View Post
I live in a very bad part of town, with soon to be only my dad and myself
I would go with a dog that will back up his threats if need be, and be sure to get adequate professional training for him, but that depends on just how bad the neighborhood actually is.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Personally I like a dog that will bark and alarm .....over an aggressive dog .
I think you've hit the nail on the head here, Grammy. I would, if ever needed a protection dog, get a dog that had more of a bark and presence than over an aggressive dog. So many "bad" people are used to Pit Bulls, Rotties, ect. But when you have a HUGE dog standing next to you barking in a VERY deep tone, it makes people think twice.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
I would go with a dog that will back up his threats if need be, and be sure to get adequate professional training for him, but that depends on just how bad the neighborhood actually is.
Thank you corgi, hah hah.

Every house around me has gotten broken into and multiple murders have occured over the passed five years in neighboring streets. It's only due time before my house is targeted as well. (It has been actually. But none of the break ins were successful.)

What you said is actually what I meant. I'm not saying I want some vicious mean guard dog and that's all I want, but I don't want a dog that's just standing by and barking while someone is trying to harm me. Every dog is protective and I know this, but some only vocally. I guess I'd kind of like a dog that could take someone down if need be, even if not of any particular breed. I was just wondering if there were any dogs that were inclined to be protective. (Not vicious.)