Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Yorkie Love

Default Isnt 4 weeks a bit young?!

I know someone who just got a 4 week old kitten from the humane society... this seems awfully young to be giving kittens away, especially to inexperienced owners (these people have never owned an animal before of any kind)... just wondering if this is standard HS procedure or not? Also, what kinds of problems is this going to cause in the future?

Thanks.

Elissa
Old 11-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Felurian

YES! That's awfully young

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Top Dog

I think it is too young when going to an inexpericed home. Having said that a friend of mine has made it a hobby (gr) of going to the shelters and bring home the very young or sick kittens. But she is very experienced with animals, she nurses them back to health, raises them with her other cats, gets all their vacc's etc. then has them s/n when old enough and then she finds them a new home.........or it could stay if she got too attached to it and has the room.
Sorry I have no idea what the policies are for Humane Soc. but raising a kitten generally isn't all that difficult lol.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Sorry I have no idea what the policies are for Humane Soc. but raising a kitten generally isn't all that difficult lol.
obviously it is not hard to raise a cat.. I have three, Im not dumb.

I was asking about future health/behavioral problems the kitten could have from being taken so early... you couldnt answer the question, then dont post.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
I think it is too young when going to an inexpericed home. Having said that a friend of mine has made it a hobby (gr) of going to the shelters and bring home the very young or sick kittens. But she is very experienced with animals, she nurses them back to health, raises them with her other cats, gets all their vacc's etc. then has them s/n when old enough and then she finds them a new home.........or it could stay if she got too attached to it and has the room.
I'm not sure why you got slammed for your post. I thought it was perfectly reasonable...
Old 11-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Top Dog

Ours won't accept any before 6 or 8 weeks ...............

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
I'm not sure why you got slammed for your post. I thought it was perfectly reasonable...
I asked a question about future problems with bringing a kitten home early... I know bringing a dog home early leads to bite inhibition problems, socialization issues, etc... obviously the issues with cats are different, I wanted someone who knew anything about it to possibly answer the question instead Im told... well its not too hard to raise a cat, haha... like Im dumb and couldnt possibly raise an animal. My oldest cat is 17 today and we got her at 8 weeks old... Im pretty sure I can raise a cat... so if the only point in posting is to tell someone the question was dumb to begin with, why post?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Ours won't accept any before 6 or 8 weeks ...............
Yea, thats what I thought was more "normal"... I would have thought 8 weeks was the norm.. my first two cats were both 8-10 weeks at adoption... my last one was about 12-14.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 AM
and Spy.

I don't think she was calling you dumb in the least.

I think it's too young for inexperienced owners.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:16 AM
Top Dog

I also agree..I see nothing wrong with her post, she was just saying its not difficult to raise a cat. I got most of my cats as kittens, and most of the ones I didn't I got their mothers when they were pregnant..So I have raised plenty of kittens. Many of which I bottle fed.

The Humane Society and SPCA don't really care in most cases. Our SPCA will adopt any of the animals out, and they don't screen like rescues do. They are just trying to make room. I used to take lots of kittens under 2 weeks off their hands to make room for adults. But generally they don;t adopt out until atleast 6 weeks.