Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Laurelin.. you said my thoughts exactly.. well that I tried to say.
Same to you! We must've been posting at the same time!
Old 11-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Big Dog

Thanks for all the great answers! I am definitely going to be careful about what breeder I choose, I think it is worth the time and effort. I am especially wary of lab and golden breeders because of their popularity. I was thinking the field type lab (or golden) would be less likely to be poorly bred but this doesn't seem to be the case. It sounds like either one would be fine as long as the breeder is good. I definitely don't want a hyperactive dog, especially since they aren't meant to be like that. And I don't mean under-exercised and therefore hyperactive.
I haven't really considered the Tollers, mainly because I haven't read a lot of literature about them. I will try to find some more info on them, they sound like they might work. Plus they are a bit smaller and therefore should be easier to manage (I'm only 5' tall). Of course my husband is going to roll his eyes when I tell him I've added another dog to our list! And I still love Aussies. I've always been drawn to them. I do like German Shepherds, my cousin has an 11 week old female is she is such a ball of fun.
Well, just when I think I've narrowed down what kind of dog we should get I add a few more to the list! Good thing it's going to be at least 6 months before we get the dog.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Big Dog

Oh, a friend of mine has 3 working-line German Shepherds and they are insane. They have so much energy and if she isn't working them they go nuts. They are all search and rescue dogs so I guess they have to be like that. But she has told me they aren't great pets if they don't get to work. They are so smart and obey her instantly, a true joy to watch.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Just try me..

There is a a member here who has a toller named Dance. (Toller08) Here in ontario the agility trials are just full of them. I have friends with them, and know some breeders, so if you have any questions PM me. Tollers are one of my fave breeds.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:59 PM
Top Dog

I also think a Toller would be an excellent compromise between a Lab and an Aussie. I have to take Dance to dog classes right away and don't have the time right now to tell you a lot about them, but if you're interested in Tollers and have any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to tell you a bit about them later tonight.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 11-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Show Dog

Good points have been made. A HUGE, HUGE pet peeve of mine is when people call their backyard bred Labs "field" Labs. A backyard bred Lab is NOT a field Lab! a field Lab is one who comes from a reputable breeder - breeding stock are titled, worked, health tested, etc.

95% of Labs are backyard bred. Backyard bred Labs may resemble field bred Labs in some cases but they are most certainly NOT field Labs. Don't let anyone fool you. When you become more familar with true field bred Labs and their lines you will instantly see the difference between a backyard bred and a field Lab.

In regard to a field Labs energy level, they are intense. When you take a dog that is bred for working, that instinct and desire to work will run through every fibre of that dogs body. With the right amount of exercise and stimulation, they can make wonderful pets. Without either of those, don't even think about introducing a working bred dog into your home.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Big Dog

Thanks Labra for that clarification, I want a house pet, no farm here!

I've been reading about Tollers but I don't think they are right for our family. Thanks for all the advice and info everyone.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Just try me..

Why don't you think tollers wouldn't work. Just curious, as they seem to be everything you want.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Big Dog

I searched the forums to find info on them and I read the one about why people shouldn't get your breed. One person wrote (Toller 08, I think) that they aren't that easy to train although they are very intelligent. Plus they don't always want to obey if they don't think anything is in it for them. They also mentioned they don't like repetition, I'm not sure to what degree this is but I want to do lots of obedience and retrieving and don't want a dog that isn't interested in stuff like that. I know you have to mix things up with any dog, I just am worried the dog would get bored of my daughter and me. They mentioned they are quirky, not sure what that means but I've come across this in several threads. I guess what I'm getting at is the Toller seems to be a bit more difficult than I am looking for at this time. Maybe when my daughter is older (she's 2 1/2) it will be a better fit for our family. Or am I getting the wrong impression?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe532 View Post
I searched the forums to find info on them and I read the one about why people shouldn't get your breed. One person wrote (Toller 08, I think) that they aren't that easy to train although they are very intelligent. Plus they don't always want to obey if they don't think anything is in it for them. They also mentioned they don't like repetition, I'm not sure to what degree this is but I want to do lots of obedience and retrieving and don't want a dog that isn't interested in stuff like that. I know you have to mix things up with any dog, I just am worried the dog would get bored of my daughter and me. They mentioned they are quirky, not sure what that means but I've come across this in several threads. I guess what I'm getting at is the Toller seems to be a bit more difficult than I am looking for at this time. Maybe when my daughter is older (she's 2 1/2) it will be a better fit for our family. Or am I getting the wrong impression?

They are easy to train with the right motivation. They just aren't generally a type of dog with a "Just tell me what to do and I'll do it because I know it makes you happy" attitude like a Lab has without and recognition of a job well done. Dance does absolutely anything I ask of her when I ask it. A quick "good girl" is reward enough for her. They like to know how it is going to benefit them and depending on the dog, it might just be a "good dog" or a pat on the head. For others it may be a ball toss or a treat. Nothing too difficult. As far as repetition goes while training, they don't like to hear "sit", "sit", "sit", etc. over and over again. They quickly lose interest. They like to move on after about 10mins (as with many other breeds) and learn something new or just take a break and play for a while, and then go back to learning "sit". Once you've got the right motivation and such, they're incredibly quick learners (not Border Collie quick, but close) It's hard to explain through a forum. As far as retrieving goes, that is something a Toller would love to repeat all day long if you wanted. They don't tire of working and playing. They love obedience, agility, retrieving, etc. They thrive on those sorts of activities.

As far as being quirky goes, they can react weirdly to different things that they aren't used to. They're just more sensitive than many other breeds in this aspect for some reason. This, however, is easily controlled and stopped with lots of socialization and getting them used to hundreds of different things. In my experience, they are by no means a difficult dog to live with (especially the girls it seems). Dance is by far the most easy going dog I've ever had, and Tango (my last dog, a Toller/Border Collie mix) was about the same. Other Tollers owners I know say the same about their dogs.

Perhaps you could try to meet a few somehow? That's the best way to get to know a breed. It's really hard sometimes to explain exactly what I mean to say over the internet.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]