Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 AM
~Lisa~

I live outside of Toronto, the most multi cultral city in the world. So my neighboorhood has offcourse lotsss of differnt backgrounds all living together in it. I have noticed pretty much every person in our neighboorhood from the middle east is down right terrified of dogs (ofcourse there is always the exception and a few familys absoulutly love to see dogs out on walks and interact with them). But alot are deathly afraid. One little girl goes SCREAMING and RUNING as fast as she can in to her house to get away from me and my dog, that is on leash and 30 feet across the road from her. What I know is that countries in the middle east dogs are like vermon to them like rats are to us. Dogs over there all live on the streets and are riddled with disease. So most families bring that "attitude" with them and teach it to the children. I am friends with many middle east girls and guys, all have told me their families have taught them dogs are evil. Offcourse some dont belive it, but some do. It all boils done to either
-what their families teach them
-or couldbe a bad experience.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Lord Cynical

I grew up in a 50/50 neighborhood, and in my experience was that only the poorer families (of either color) were afraid of dogs. Either that, or the criminals which were of either color.

In the town where I live now, it's mostly foreigners who are afraid of my dogs. Foreigners = students at the university who don't speak much english... specifically from the Asian and Middle Eastern countries.

Although the only time in my current town where someone ran away screaming and crying at the mere sight of my dogs was at a flavored ice stand - and they did happen to be black. Both women were scared of my dogs, as well as JACK the goofy English... so I don't think it was a fear of "big scary dogs".. jut dogs in general.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Lord Cynical

corgipower - I have a theory why people might be afraid of corgis... but it doesn't apply to one race and not the other.

Corgis, to the untrained eye, can look foxlike. I've had people ask me if Ada is a fox with an amputated tail. Perhaps people who don't know dogs could see a corgi and think "wild animal"?

Old 11-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Squishy face

In some Middle Eastern religions, dogs are "unclean" and they aren't allowed to interact with them, except for one breed (the Saluki, I think) who was sent to them from Allah and used for hunting and stuff.

In my area I haven't really noticed people of any race being more afraid of dogs than any other. There are more white people than other races that adopt from and volunteer at our rescue though. I'm not sure why that is, we certainly aren't predjudiced.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
corgipower - I have a theory why people might be afraid of corgis... but it doesn't apply to one race and not the other.

Corgis, to the untrained eye, can look foxlike. I've had people ask me if Ada is a fox with an amputated tail. Perhaps people who don't know dogs could see a corgi and think "wild animal"?
interesting. i can see it.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Are you dead yet?

Interesting.

I've had varying experiences with people, and I think race is truly just coincidence. It's secondary to people's lifestyles. I've had hispanic people compliment my dogs in public. I've had black people want to give Eve a hug. I've had white people stop me and talk to me about Eve in a department store or restaurant. There is the nicest guy at the sushi bar I go to, who always saves a little piece of fish for the dog when we go in for lunch, and talks sweetly to her in Japanese while he feeds it to her. I know a lady who came here from Pakistan, who speaks hardly any English but still always bends down to talk to Eve when we go into her store. She never touches Eve, but the two of them look into each other's eyes for probably a full 60 seconds and "talk" to one another. Every time we go in there. Although she's never been petted by this gal, Eve adores her. I think it's sweet that people here have been so welcoming towards her.

I've also had numerous people of various races cross the street when they see me walking my dogs. The dogs are all under my control (and Eve in particular is glued to my side, leash or no leash, no matter where we go) and they don't look wild or intimidating. So all I can think of is that some people just don't like dogs. That's their right, and if they'll respect my right to have my dogs then I respect (and appreciate) their right to stay the hell away from 'em.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Top Dog

It might be coincidence, but here is my experience:

1) When Herschel was a puppy we had him outside in front of my house and he ran up wiggling his butt at a woman that was walking by. She screamed, "I'm scared of dogs!" and shielded herself against the 8lb impact. We called Herschel back before he got to her and we felt terrible about it. She was black.

2) We walk past this guy in our park at least 3 times/week and he is seriously afraid of Herschel and Nala. He sees them playing, sees us walking, and sees that they interact with other people and dogs perfectly well, but when we walk past him he jumps off of the sidewalk and throws his arms up. He is black.

Most of the white people that we've met that don't like dogs are disgusted by them (rather than being afraid of them).
Old 11-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Bored Now.

I haven't had anyone overtly afraid of Middie. I did have one man of middle eastern descent who was giving Middie the nastiest, most hateful glare.... I got his attention and kept eye contact until the asshole walked away. It really made me angry.... NO ONE is allowed to look at my sweet, innocent little pup that way especially when he's done nothing towards them, not even a tail wag.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Water Junkie

I've heard this only from a few, few people. So I don't know how true it is.

Anyways, it's not ment to offend any one either. I've heard that many of that (Black) color race are afriad of many dogs because when they were brought to America as slaves they were treated harshly by dogs.

Dunno, it's probably some stupid myth.

But yeah, my neighor's of the same race are terrified of all dogs on this street.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Let it be

Around where I live it's mostly people with brown skin that are afraid of dogs though a lot of older white women jump sideways too. I don't know about you but where I live it's mostly dominated by east indians so that could be why there are more of them afraid of dogs. Simply because there are more of that race that live around here.