Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Let it be

Default we have fleas

I noticed the boys and Miley were itching today. I looked through Miley and yupp. She's infested. The boys aren't near as bad. I gave them all baths with flea shampoo and just spent god knows how long going through them all. Is there anything else I can do short of shaving all their hair off? I've never dealt with fleas. My childhood dog never got fleas (thank goodness! Could you imagine an overly poofy sheltie with fleas?) so I am clueless as what I should do.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Snow Girl

Advantage has worked wonders for me but I have never had a serous outbreak of them.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 11-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Let it be

The boys hardly had any. Spanky had two bugs on his chest and Bandit had one. Miley was the worst by far. Should I get a professional to do it? Or are there even professionals who do flea baths?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm PAWMAZING!

make sure you treat your home as well.

I read somewhere that for every one flea on the dog there could be up to 1000 in your home.

Did you know that it is a sin, Immorality lies within- September

I am a "Female Dog"
Old 11-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

Don't want to come on too heavy here , but there's no excuse for fleas today . I really feel that the dipping , shampooing , spraying and powdering I had to do years ago was harder on the dogs that the once a month treatment today . I can't even remember when I last saw a flea on mine . I've used K9 Advantix . When I took in a lost Pug , she was loaded with fleas ! I took her in to see if she had a micro chip ( no ) but bought a pill that would kill her fleas in less than 24 hrs. Yes , see one flea and there are many ! But if they don't have a host , they die off.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Top Dog

We use Frontline plus and it has worked wonders here.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Top Dog

Frontline, Advantage, Advantix. Any of those three will solve your problems. They are just once/month treatments. (Heck, we only give it once/6 weeks and it works perfectly well)
Old 11-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Don't want to come on too heavy here , but there's no excuse for fleas today . I really feel that the dipping , shampooing , spraying and powdering I had to do years ago was harder on the dogs that the once a month treatment today . I can't even remember when I last saw a flea on mine . I've used K9 Advantix . When I took in a lost Pug , she was loaded with fleas ! I took her in to see if she had a micro chip ( no ) but bought a pill that would kill her fleas in less than 24 hrs. Yes , see one flea and there are many ! But if they don't have a host , they die off.
I've got thick skin and am not easily offended so say what you will. I will not get offended or get defensive. I am not expecting a positive "OH POOR YOU" response. I'll take opinions if I can get answers along with em. I honestly didn't even think to check Miley for fleas when she moved in and I am positive that's where the boys got it from.

As for the house I have the joy of doing that right now. Should the dogs go somewhere else while the house is being treated?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Top Dog

^^^ I tend to slack off during the winter . Paige we posted at the same time . That was to Herchel . I'm not faulting you ......it's the people that fight fleas for years .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Top Dog

I used to use Program years ago with my 2 Lhasas. Now I use Revolution as it doesn't wash off - it's a liquid applied on the dogs back in between their shoulder blades once a month. If you have carpeting the fleas will be there as well. You'll probably have to spray your home with some type of flea killer and vacuum regularly otherwise they will continue to bite your dogs until their all dead.