Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Puppy Dog

ive always figued my next dog would actually be a giant schnauzer or a standard schnauzer, i don't think energy is a problem though, after owning 2 boxers i don't think any other breed could have any more lol

honestly my only real grip with the boxer is the shedding, even after brushing for a long time the hair still flys off my male, he has a thryoid prob and is on meds for that but still they shed like crazy, ive even tried different foods and everything. no biggie though ive lived with it long enough now, i just know for next time
Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 PM
We are Home.

I think a Giant Schnauzer would be best in that situation. BRT's like SaintGirl said they are great with their family but anyone else they are not so good with. The only reason the handler I knew could handle the one she did is that she had been handling him since he was a puppy.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Top Dog

Bouviers don't shed either, do they?

Keep in mind that most non-shedding breeds do require a lot more grooming than boxers. My Bedlington didn't shed, which was wonderful, but dealing with the mats and clipping were such a pain that I will always own smooth-coated dogs from now on, and just deal with the hair!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:06 PM
We are Home.

I totally forgot about them.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Taxiderpy

My Aunt has a bouviers, he is wonderful and has a nice coat. She keeps him in a schnauzer style clip, and he gets groomed every month and a half to two months, but doesn't really shed inbetween groomings.

Also, where did the notion that wirehaired dogs don't shed come from? They do shed, and in my experience it is just as much as any other coat.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:48 PM
We are Home.

All the ones I have had the pleasure of working with have shed less then most types of dogs. Yes they do shed not saying they dont at all. But compared to my APBT or Greyhound it is less. Thats why I always go for them if I'm talking about low/light shedders.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Taxiderpy

Interesting. Scottish deerhounds have a wire coat, and the breeders we have talked to told us they were shedders. I wonder if it less than our borzoi. Seamus, the wirecoat staghound we fostered, you could literally build a few new dogs out of his shed fur each and every day. I swept every day and the mass of fur seemed to equal 2 or 3 JRTs. lol.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:58 PM
We are Home.

OMG Borzois SUCK. We had two here for a weekend for a geryhound lady we worked with and they shedded as bad as my shepard mix.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:41 PM
BusterLove

hmm. i might have already posted in this thread but anyway

greyhounds I've read shed very little

Old 11-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Top Dog

We have 3 Bouviers at our working dog club. The 2 adults are from hardcore working lines and would be a handful for anyone not experienced with that type of dog. The other is a pup and he's a sweet little fuzzball.

I think diet has a lot to do with shedding. People say Danes shed a lot, and I saw one in a class we took with Daisy who had hair flying off of him when you pet him, but Daisy sheds very very little. And the hair is so fine and short, you'd never get tumbleweeds on the wood floor. Gunnar doesn't shed much either, about 2 times a year he'll blow out his coat and the rest of the time it's not much at all.