Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Top Dog

Default Losing a Nail?

Daisy has been licking between 2 toes on one of her paws recently, and it looks kind of raw and is reddened from the licking. Last night when doing our nail clipping/wrestling ritual, we noticed the nail on that foot is black around the area where it attaches into her toe. It turns out the black stuff is actually dried blood and it looks like she's done something to that toe and nail- maybe caught it in something or whatever. It doesn't hurt her, she's not limping or anything, and we can poke and prod it and she doesn't react any differently.

I'm wondering, if she damaged the base of the nail, will it fall off like a persons nail can do?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:47 PM
But please, call me Barb

Hmmmm, I'm not sure Dan, I think you should post a picture of her sweet face to help us concentrate on an answer!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

Does this help?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Love my pets

OK, Max hurt his nail that way too. The vet told us to soak his paw in warm water for a few minutes for 5 days so it will draw out anything in the nail area to prevent infection. it worked; the nail area started to look better and we didn't have to take him in for an exam. (It was just plain warm water with nothing in it.)
Old 11-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Top Dog

Thanks Barb, we'll give that a shot. I wonder if epsom salts or something would be good to try as well.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Love my pets

I asked the vet about the epson salts and he said just plain warm water is all I needed. It definitely helped Max. Let me know how Daisy does.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:20 PM
But please, call me Barb

Yes Dan that helps a lot. I so want to smooch that face!!!!!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
Daisy has been licking between 2 toes on one of her paws recently, and it looks kind of raw and is reddened from the licking. Last night when doing our nail clipping/wrestling ritual, we noticed the nail on that foot is black around the area where it attaches into her toe. It turns out the black stuff is actually dried blood and it looks like she's done something to that toe and nail- maybe caught it in something or whatever. It doesn't hurt her, she's not limping or anything, and we can poke and prod it and she doesn't react any differently.

I'm wondering, if she damaged the base of the nail, will it fall off like a persons nail can do?

Sounds like you are more lucky than I was with Lucy. She had the same problem but eventually it broke off right at the base and she was in incredible pain. I have never seen this dog cry or yelp before but she was a mess. I almost had a heart attack because she was crying so much.

I really hope all goes well with Daisy. Keep that nail real short so she can't step on something wrong and make it crack.

Thanks Steveinski!