Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Top Dog

wow, seems like everyone loves to use harnesses, ya know i am sooo glad i got them when i did because i had some kids come over and all i had to do is grab the back of the harness and TADA LOL..

as far as walking we are NOT doing that yet because Thunder does NOT have all his shots yet, and we do not want to take any chances of him getting anything, he will be done with his shots in late January so we can take him walking then. Cinni already has all her shots, but, we dont want to take only her.

as for pulling i think that no matter the size of dog they should not pull when walking.

thanks for all the great comments and experiances.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Squishy face

I walk Daisy on a martingale collar, but Benji is walked on a harness because he has a sensitive throat. If I walk him on just a collar he chokes and coughs. He does pull on the harness though.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppylover2007 View Post
as far as walking we are NOT doing that yet because Thunder does NOT have all his shots yet, and we do not want to take any chances of him getting anything, he will be done with his shots in late January so we can take him walking then. Cinni already has all her shots, but, we dont want to take only her.
Wow. What about socialization and exercise?

I guess I'm risky. We got Herschel at 8 weeks and walked him daily, let him play with other dogs all the time, took him to the vet, took him to pet stores, etc. He never got sick. We got Nala at 4 months and we did the same with her.

I think you should be reasonable about it. Should you take your dog to a dog park and let him swim a pool of warm, stagnant water? Probably not a good idea. But not walking your dog until January? The body builds immunity by exposure!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Top Dog

Flicka and Pepe are on harnesses, for everything except obedience and agility. Then it's a flat.

My fosters are walked on whatever suits them best: flat collar, harness, Halti/Gentle Leader, Martingale, etc.

In the house, all the dogs wear flat collars.

And Lillian would like to add that she also has a harness and leash (in pink) for her outdoor adventures.

-Rosefern

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat
Old 11-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
Wow. What about socialization and exercise?

I guess I'm risky. We got Herschel at 8 weeks and walked him daily, let him play with other dogs all the time, took him to the vet, took him to pet stores, etc. He never got sick. We got Nala at 4 months and we did the same with her.

I think you should be reasonable about it. Should you take your dog to a dog park and let him swim a pool of warm, stagnant water? Probably not a good idea. But not walking your dog until January? The body builds immunity by exposure!
i understand where you are coming from, however in our area there are ALOT of stray dogs and yes maybe i am very protective, however parvo is a very serious deadly diease and can be contracted from ANYWHERE. even the vet we took him too said not to take them to places where there have been alot of dogs because of the outbreaks they have had with parvo and others.

as for socialzation OH YEA he gets TONS of that, we take him to my dad's house and he plays there with his mamma next door, i just do not want him to get sick, i have had a pup who got parvo and it was terrible it broke ny heart to see him soo sick, and when you can not pick them up and love them and tell it will be ok, you have to hold your head up and just watch, lucky for us we caught it in timel and he was only 4 months old, he had not yet had all his shots, but, he got it because we mad the mistake of taking him to a park that we thought was safe...

as for excersise we have a HUGE backyard that he plays in and we know is safe because all previous owners had no dogs, and it is completly fenced in. and he plays with cinni all day. we just do not want to take any chances.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

sizzledog --

1. i want pics of ada in her harness

2. did you have trouble fitting it? i looked into harnesses for one of my corgis and couldn't get them to fit him, and have heard the same from a couple other corgi owners.

Quote:
whenever you say "hier", she thinks you mean "chase me around for hours, while I secretly laugh my dog laugh".
isn't that what we love corgis for?

Quote:
She's at the age where obedience isn't fun, she'd much rather be out drinking, gambling, going to the disco, and joyriding... ugh, teenagers.
with a corgi, that's not a teenage phase, it's a permanent life choice. tell her she can do what she wants when she pays the bills.

for the OP -- harnesses can be great for some dogs. enjoy!!

and for those who say that harnesses can make big dogs pull, well, harnesses can make any dog pull, as can a collar. a dog pulls if he has something to pull against. a harness in and of itself won't create pulling.

also there are harnesses that allow you to clip the leash to the front, which help prevent pulling.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Yorkie Love

I do think it is harder to train a dog not to pull on a harness... Elle was trained with a flat collar and switched to a harness once she was trained and she does not pull.... Bella has only ever had a harness because she has a collapsed trachea and it was recommended that she not be put on a flat collar... she still pulls when she is excited...

So I like them because they are harder to get out of and give more control but I would consider training on a flat collar and then switching to the harness once they are trained.

Elissa
Old 11-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Top Dog

for the OP -- harnesses can be great for some dogs. enjoy!!

and for those who say that harnesses can make big dogs pull, well, harnesses can make any dog pull, as can a collar. a dog pulls if he has something to pull against. a harness in and of itself won't create pulling.

also there are harnesses that allow you to clip the leash to the front, which help prevent pulling.[/QUOTE]

i agree dogs will pull against anything LOL.. that is what they do. it is nature for them no matter what size...

Old 11-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Lord Cynical

corgipower, your wish is my command!

1Ada in her harness... BTW, it's a Hamilton harness, size Medium I think. It *barely* fits around her middle, but it's perfect for her. I really like th eHamilton brand for sturdy yet VERY inexpensive utilitarian dog gear. The harness cost $8.99.

2. As for fitting it... not really. The Hamilton stuff is made to fit very well, and I just took Ada into the store with me and fit it right in the store.

3. Yeah.... that's why I'm not too worried abut it, misbehaving for entertainment is a corgi thing!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

Milo had a harness but he ate it.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com