Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Top Dog

Question haraness or not to harness that is my question?

ok, so i went out and bought 2 harnesses for my babies, my hubby gave me the idea because his dog was harnessed since he could remember and he said it helps with a few things like walking, taking them places and such.

and so i gave in and got them, and it seems to me that they do not mind them, it was easier to handle them when someone came to the door, instead of trying to do the balancing act and such. All i had to do is grab the section where the leash goes and TADA!!!

so, what does everyone else think? any idea's ? what are your experiances with harnesses? agree or not agree?

I LOVE MINE AND SO DO MY BABIES!

Old 11-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Uffda!

Joey wears a harness on his walk most of the time. I've heard from some people that it makes their dogs pull more, but it has the opposite effect on Joey. I also like it better because it's less likely to slip off, unlike Joey's collar (he has a fat neck ). I also feel like I have more control of him with the harness, I don't really know why.

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 11-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Top Dog

i only use harness for walks, I don't leave them on all the time.

I wouldn't recommend a harness for a large dog, because I also hear it make them pull more, and they need to be trained not to pull on the leash..but I don't mind if my small dogs pull.

Harnesses make me feel safer, cause I know my dogs can't get them off..Unlike with regular nylon collars, they have gotten off of those before.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Top Dog

I love harnesses!

Herschel wears either a black or an orange Puppia.

Nala wears a green Planet Dog hemp harness, to match her leash. http://www.planetdog.com/ProductInfo...MP%20HARNESSES

I've taught both of my dogs (regardless of size) to walk with a loose leash. I'm not sure why small dogs should get to have bad leash manners? Nor do I understand why big dogs can't have harnesses?

They don't wear any sort of hardware (collars, harness, etc.) in the house when we aren't around. Too risky.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:47 AM
Big Dog

My dog has a harness on our walks. It does feel like I've got better control of him with the harness and he listens better than with a flat collar on so I like it. He did manage to slip out of the harness a few times though so I tied a little rope between the collar with his ID tag and the harness to be on the safe side. He tried it once more, realized it didn't get him loose and he hasn't tried again since.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:46 AM
Let it be

Miley wears one. Spanky and Bandit wear your basic leather collars. I would be interested in trying one out on them juts for kicks though.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:13 AM
and Fozzie B!

Both of my boys have harnesses, but only for Flyball/Agility, or the dog park. Just for grabbing/holding purposes, they're pretty convenient.

I don't find them at all practical for walks or for training. It's so much easier and more comfortable for the dog to pull in them, and it's way more difficult to control them.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 11-15-2007, 02:29 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Lucas had a few harnesses I used for walks and such. We didn't have a problem with pulling withthe harness vs the collar, but only because I actually took the time to train him not to pull! I don't think anyone should use a harness to stop pulling, train your dog that's all there is to it. Though sometimes with large dogs you need something for control, but devices just so you have control is different then "training" devices.

I honestly hate the fact that so many people aren't training small dogs not to pull.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Lord Cynical

ADa just got her first harness. She likes to try to slip out of her collar, and she also has this nastyhabit of thinking that whenever you say "hier", she thinks you mean "chase me around for hours, while I secretly laugh my dog laugh". She's at the age where obedience isn't fun, she'd much rather be out drinking, gambling, going to the disco, and joyriding... ugh, teenagers.

So, on with the harness we go!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 11-15-2007, 08:58 AM
We are Home.

Walker has a harness for when i take him to the trail to skate but other then that its a flat collar and a chain. The only reason I use the chain is stupid people around here who let their dogs loose and I feel more secure with the ability to get him away with the chain then with his flat collar. Ive had a few of em snap on me and him slip them.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie