Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy

Question Breed Trait Or Dominance?

Every time I take Bodi anywhere in public, he greets all newcomers the same way - he wags his tail, turns in a circle and proceeds to sit on the persons feet and lean into them, looking up with warm, brown eyes. Almost everyone comments on how demanding and dominant he is, but I really think it's just a Bernese Mountain Dog trait.

This past weekend at a local BMDCA meet, there were about 50 Berners all doing the same thing. Are they all dominant and demanding, or is this something just bred in the dog. Do any other breeds do this?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

I think that's silly. It sounds to me like he's just trying to get some loving. lol
Old 11-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Top Dog

Dominant!! Apparently everything a dog does is dominant nowadays. If he ignores you, lays on your bed, pees on your bed, begs, walks in front of you, goes through the door in front of you, or now sits on you he is called dominant. Very few dogs actually try to dominate their owners. I think your dog is just looking for some love and attention, he's not dominating anyone I don't think. I love when dogs sit on me. I actually thought Great Danes do this a lot too or perhaps they sit on laps and I've met quite a few Labs who do it.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Uffda!

My grandparent's rottweiler does this. She also tries to grab your shoes in her mouth if you stop petting her and start walking away. Needless to say, she's not the most polite dog, but she LOVES to get attention. I would say it's a little demanding, as far as getting attention, but I don't think it's necessarily dominant. I definitely don't think it's breed specific either. I had a Saint Bernard and a golden retriever do this to me too.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:35 PM
*Biter*

It's a breed trait. Every berner I've known does this.

And yes, danes are HUGE into leaning, and will sit on your lap or your feet in a heartbeat. Alot of giant breeds seem to share this propensity. I think it's special. It's certainly not dominance, more a show of affection.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt

Paws Jaws and Wrecking Balls
Old 11-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Let it be

Bandit does this. Demanding? Yes. Dominant? Nawwwh. Just a big love bug who wants some lovin'.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

i agree. he wants love, and some dogs are more inclined towards physical contact than others. in my limited experience with berners (three of them) they seemed to very much want physical contact, a lot of leaning against people, sitting on feet, so there may be a breed trait as well. which isn't to say that dogs of other breeds don't also do it.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Mr Poopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfacedanes View Post
It's a breed trait. Every berner I've known does this.
Same here. Most are just fuzzy love hounds.

In the minds and hearts of Pharaoh Hounds-serious moments can be dissolved by a good frolicking run with stolen goods.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:21 AM
We are Home.

I say breed trait for actually most of big fuzzy ones (newfs, Saints, Berners) Our Saint does that and it drives me insane. Most Saints, Newfs and Berners that I have met do this.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi's Mom View Post
Every time I take Bodi anywhere in public, he greets all newcomers the same way - he wags his tail, turns in a circle and proceeds to sit on the persons feet and lean into them, looking up with warm, brown eyes. Almost everyone comments on how demanding and dominant he is, but I really think it's just a Bernese Mountain Dog trait.

This past weekend at a local BMDCA meet, there were about 50 Berners all doing the same thing. Are they all dominant and demanding, or is this something just bred in the dog. Do any other breeds do this?
This is exactly what my Berner boy does to everyone. I don't think it's a dominance thing. It's just a Berner trait.