Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Top Dog

If they were dead, sure. Their soul would be gone and I wouldn't be overly concerned about the body, because it would just be meat. I wouldn't find it any more morally repugnant that eating any other source of meat.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Mr Poopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I realize this is a macabre question- but do you think you could? I still say I'd die first!
I saw a movie where a guy was faced with this same decision. He was about to kill his dog (husky type) and the dog ran off. The man thought he was destined to starve. Hours later the dog came back with a rabbit. Both man and dog shared the rabbit.

Would I or could I kill and eat my dog(s)? Not a chance. They're the only chance I'd have of hunting, eating and surviving. Of course that would require me breaking the "never off lead" rule with sighthounds.

In the minds and hearts of Pharaoh Hounds-serious moments can be dissolved by a good frolicking run with stolen goods.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Oh, it's *you*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I realize this is a macabre question- but do you think you could? I still say I'd die first!
I absolutely would. For myself or more importantly...my children. Killing it? dunno, but definitely if they died by some other means.

Your dog would have no issue returning the favor either.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 11-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Top Dog

Well, maybe you wouldn't eat your dog but your dog would definitely eat you!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

Quote:
This case study documents the nearly complete consumption of adult human remains by two domestic dogs (Canis familiaris) inside a residence. While scavenging behavior has been observed for coyotes, wolves, hyenas and other canines in natural outdoor environments, little information is available concerning canine scavenging of human remains in an indoor setting. In this case, the dogs were confined with the body inside a residence for approximately 1 month. The impact of intrinsic and extrinsic factors on canine scavenging behavior and the postmortem interval are examined, such as clothing on the body, perimortem trauma, drug ingestion and the availability of alternative food sources. While cases of canine scavenging of their owners are scant in the literature, this phenomenon is probably not uncommon, particularly among the elderly and indigent who live alone with pets and are socially isolated.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Top Dog

Would I kill them to eat them? NO! But if for some reason or another they died before me- then yes as heart breaking as it would be, I would.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Show Dog

That's a situation that depends on your type of survival instinct. None of us would EVER break our dogs' necks with our bare hands, but during hurricane Katrina a woman was being rescued from rising torrents off her roof and the rescuers wouldn't let her dog come with her. The waters were rising fast and rescue was about to leave. She panicked and instead of leaving the dog there to wash away as she was lifted to safety she quickly hugged her dog one last time and broke his neck so he wouldn't have to drown. Some people washed away with their dogs, though. Most felt forced to leave them behind.
In a starvation situation I'm absolutely positive if I died first and my body could keep my animals or family alive long enough to get rescued I'd give my blessing on it. Likewise if one of my animals died first I know they would want us to salvage their body to stay alive. But no killing would ever take place. We'd all lean on each other and hope for the best until the end

Old 11-16-2007, 09:19 AM
HarleyD

How long were the Donners lost anyways?
You can go for quite a while, especially if you are of a larger nature, without food. Water would be the main problem. If it rains, drink rainwater. If it snows, eat snow. Worse comes to worse, drink your own urine....YUCK!!!
I'm bigger so I would be hungry, of course. But it would take my body awhile to get through eating all the fat before I'd actually need to eat to sustain my own life.
I think I'd be o.k. but I would be worried that the dogs wouldn't have any food. Depending on the time of year, maybe they could hunt for themselves or eat grass and vegetation.

Yeah, I'd worry that my dogs would die first. But I wouldn't eat them.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Fishies!

I think the Donners were out for a bad winter. Not all that much to eat.

Its not that much of a far fetched idea. Apparently, my friends dad ate his childhood dog when Japan invaded China in WW2. It probably wasn't as culturally unacceptable as it would be here, but my understanding is that it was a pet dog and not intended for food.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Mr Poopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
I think the Donners were out for a bad winter. Not all that much to eat.

http://www.vw.vccs.edu/vwhansd/HIS121/Donner.html

In the minds and hearts of Pharaoh Hounds-serious moments can be dissolved by a good frolicking run with stolen goods.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Taxiderpy

No way! I'd get him to catch some rabbits/squirrels/cats for us instead.