Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Gadget Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101 View Post
I think all of mine would be gone in a matter of weeks. They are way too dependant on me for all their needs. ......... (They sleep curled up in my bed, under the covers).
Ha!, Sounds like my Shadow, he would probably die of sleep deprivation when he couldn't find anyone to tuck him in.

I think we have bred almost all dogs to be very dependent. A lot of our dogs "cry" if they are alone, afraid, hurt, hungry etc.

A great survival trait for dogs in captivity....cry, get what you want.

Also a helpful trait for a young wolf pup who is still in the den.....Not so much when they are out in the wilderness where they would just attract the attention of other beasts who are out looking for a quick dinner.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Mr Poopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groch View Post

I think we have bred almost all dogs to be very dependent. A lot of our dogs "cry" if they are alone, afraid, hurt, hungry etc.

A great survival trait for dogs in captivity....cry, get what you want.

Also a helpful trait for a young wolf pup who is still in the den.....Not so much when they are out in the wilderness where they would just attract the attention of other beasts who are out looking for a quick dinner.
Yes, it's quite a drawback if they are cast into the wild, but neoteny (what you are describing-retention of puppy-like behaviors and characteristics) is also necessary for them to be accepted into our homes or at least it was.

In the minds and hearts of Pharaoh Hounds-serious moments can be dissolved by a good frolicking run with stolen goods.