Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Salty Sea Dog

dodger would join the suicide scene, hes off himself 3 seconds after realizing "mommy aint comming home"

If in a warm climate vixie and rosie would probably pack together and probbly coupld survive on rodents and bugs, but both are also veyr people orientated and probably wouldnt last more than a couple weeks

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 11-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Show Dog

Teddy no way.He might have the coat for it but he is to big of a mommas brat.He already Will Not play all day while I am at work.He would commit suicide if he thought I was never coming back to him.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Walks into Mordor

I think Zeus would do just fine. He is a great hunter and has good instincts. He'll take care of himself.

Voodoo, I dunno. He's a curious, problem-solving dog, but I think that may get him into more trouble than he could get out of. He's also not really a hunter, certainly not the way that Zeus is. The one time he caught/killed a young bird was completely accidential. He wasn't really trying to kill the bird: he was very unsure as to what to do.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Top Dog

I don't think either of mine would live through one whole day. Bear would come close. he's got the coat for the colder weather and he'd fight off attacking animals. WHen it came to food, he'd either have to eat sticks or grass. He's not a hunter and doesn't have a high prey drive. I've never seen him kill anything.

Dixie has the high prey drive and could make food from lizards. She's just too curious though. She'd get herself in some deep trouble wanting to investigate something. I think if she was a little more grown up and out of her puppy stage. She would have a good chance.

Thanks for the siggie Baxter'smybaby!

Laura
Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 AM
coonhound crazy

I think both of mine would do just fine. First, Conrad would rid the neighborhood of all cats. Marlowe I think would probably go after the wild turkeys. Next on Conrad's agenda would probably be the deer (that dog is FAST and agile running through the woods like woah). They're both excellent hunters and have a lot of street smarts and are totally unafraid to scavenge whatever carcasses present themselves. Conrad's got a nice thick coat too, but don't underestimate the light-coated dogs. If they are living outside full time, they tend to acclimate to the cold pretty well and don't shed as much so their coats get thicker. A lot of coonhounds are kept outside 365 days a year and they have very light short coats and it doesn't seem to hurt them.

All in all I think they'd pack up just fine with the rest of the local dogs and acquit themselves quite well. Without the humans and our pesky cars around I think they'd live good long lives.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm All Ears

Nikki would have been just fine back in the day, I'm sure of that. Now when she's old and arthritic, not so much. Nikki honestly doesn't care what we do and is sneaky enough to find out how to get what she wants.

Trey would be lost. If you leave him outside on accident, he sits next to the door and never moves and he gets so upset. He cannot think by himself, I've decided and needs the rest of his 'pack' to keep him feeling secure. He is by far the most submissive dog I've ever seen. Beau would shrivel up and die right away. His life revolves around his people and he is totally devoted to them. Rose might do okay, but she's tiny. She has the strongest prey drive of all our dogs, and she's crafty. But as soon as it rained, she'd get upset and want back inside. She hates the rain.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Mr Poopy

Xerxes wouldn't just survive, he'd be the leader of a pack of huge dogs and a good number of fertile females, each willing to do his bidding. Their territory would be 10 square miles at least and they'd feast on venison and squirrel every day. And you'd always see his pack, but you'd never see him.

Winter would be tough, but if any dog can think of how to deal with the cold, it's Xerxes.

In the minds and hearts of Pharaoh Hounds-serious moments can be dissolved by a good frolicking run with stolen goods.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Top Dog

Pshh, i doubt Oakley would last long honestly...

He'd prob be too busy running after squirrels & bunnies (but not catching them...) to realize he was hungry. He has a strong prey drive, but only to chase...when he comes close to catching, he freaks out and lets the animal go, or slows down, lol. Maybe it would kick in...who knows though.

He is also a huge lazy butt, and while I know he is capable of figuring things out, will often get bored of doing so, or decide its not worth the minimal effort....

Thanks Jessie!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Top Dog

Meg has a lot of the survival skills she would need. She's experienced at catching and killing rodents, and since she's an easy keeper, she wouldn't need a ton of food to stay alive. She's great at finding water to drink in areas where there appears to be none when we are hiking. She can find a warm(er) place to curl up and sleep almost anywhere.

But without people around, I think she would just curl up and shiver herself to death. She is so people-oriented that I'm not sure she could make herself care if nobody was around.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Lord Cynical

If they stuck together, Ilsa and Ronin might make it. Ilsa is one of those natural born leaders. She's got a great prey drive and has killed wild animals before with no trouble (squirrels, rabbits, and birds - one VERY large bird once).

Ronin is a good follower, as long as he had a clear alpha bitch to follow he'd be fine. His prey drive is through the roof, but I don't know if he'd just chase instead of chase and kill. He's very agile and fearless when it comes to unsteady surfaces.

Here in Iowa though, they'd die from the cold... unless they could find a *very* warm place to hole up.

Ada has the coat to survive, but that's about it - she's more of the "people give me food so I don't have to find it myself!" mentality... SO says that Ada won't get out of bed for anything less than a Tremendous Twelve, if that gives any indication of her dependence on humans for food! She has very little prey drive, she'd probably herd her prey around in circles and then try to play with it, unfortunately.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)