Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-14-2007, 04:31 AM
BusterLove

Default How long would your dogs survive?

Follow on from another thread, how long do you think your dog would survive if POOF all humans gone?

I thik Buster could do quite well. I think at first he'd have a few squabbles with other dogs as he can be quite dominant, after that he'd either wke up to himself and sit in line or he'd become a leader.
He's a champion tracker, great at finding prey animals, as far as I know he's never caught anything so he'd have to fix his skills.
i already know he can well and truely look after himself if another dog picks on him and his coat type will mean he'll be a bit uncomfortable when his coat drops but other than that he'll be fine.

Sophie, probably not so well. She's a bit older now and might not be able to hold her own as well as she once could. She's slow and would probably have to rely on scavenging. She'd also get cold in the cooler months.

Mac is very versatile, I think she'd stick with buster and follow his lead. She'd naturally end up on the lower part of whatever pack she's in though and would rely on them a lot.

Harry I don't know, I don't actually think he'd fare very well without a human looking out for him.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:54 AM
Let it be

Spanky would manage. Nothing holds him down and his coat type is pretty much perfect for where we live in Canada. Bandit, however, would die. No question asked. He'd probably he the first dog in history to commit suicide. He gets easily depressed. Miley would be someone's dinner.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I have my suspicions that Sarama could take care of herself. She had a thick coat, strong prey drive, brains and guts. But she'd not be happy with her new life.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Snow Girl

I strongly believe Ronan would have no problem surviving at all. He has the coat and he has the brains. Yes he has some issues with other dogs but its not that he's always out looking for a fight. If he sees another dog he doesnt immediately go into attack-mode. We only risk a fight if he is forced to meet that other dog (ie. owner brings their dog into his face). When loose, he would simply avoid the other dogs unless another one made the first move. Then he would simply handle the situation (a light scuffle or Ronan would realize the fight is not worth it and back away - he has really good judgement for that). He has already proven many times that he has the complete instinct to chase - catch - kill - devour. His old owner would tell me stories from when they would go camping in the sticks. They would bring kibble for Ronan but he would never eat a single bite of it. Instead the whole trip he would be living off squirrels and chipmunks LOL Where Ronan might risk his life is if he would see OC being attacked. Ronan would do anything to save OC and that could mean severe injury during a counter-attack.

OC I'm a bit on the fence about. He has the coat type and he has the instinct to chase - catch - kill -devour BUT I dont know how strong his instinct to survive is. By that I mean his instinct to make decisions with the future in mind. Where Ronan would know that the huffy dog who insists on guarding his bed of pine needles isnt worth the time of day, OC may try to interact anyways which would get himself in trouble. However if OC would follow Ronan (which he would likely do) I think he would learn quick after a couple mishaps and settle into the new lifestyle very quickly.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 11-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Top Dog

I know that all my dogs could and would hunt. Could they completely avoid trouble with coyotes and other dogs? I don't think Sprout would, she is tiny plus she really is socially inept. Hailey is getting old and has a trashed patella (bad injury), so I doubt she could travel for great distances or hunt for long distances. Bobbi, Petie and Kiah would have the best chance BUT I doubt any of them could survive unless they found a den for winter months or travel far enough south, they all are all smooth coats.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:31 AM
We are Home.

Walker would probably survive. Tytus and Patches heck no they are to much of a people dog. Whisper would be someones meal. Scirrocco would until the extreme temperatures came.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Top Dog

In her day (she is getting old) Athena would have done pretty good in a warm climate. I think she could survive on rodents.

Sal on the other hand w/o Athena's guidance (he is not a hunter) would most likely die of a broken heart or starvation.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Squishy face

I think Daisy would do ok, as she is a really good scavenger, lol. As long as she found somewhere warm to go in the cold winter months, I think she'd survive a while. Benji would probably get eaten by something :/.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Top Dog

maybe a few hours. maybe.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-14-2007, 10:30 AM
CASSA

Jlo will survive the best high defense high hunt. age 5 High distrust and only trust humans with a call to her
Ali her mom would back her up and is doing well age 7. Her love of humans would get her killed.. She would sneak into peoples houses for a smooch.
Tasha would do well even at age 11 she took on a Coyote the other day but it got away she lost her speed,. But something would DIE trying to kill her.
Would only look for us and not trust any human.

Bear is going on 11- he would die first heavy molosser type, teeth worn down, slower now and without to protect him he would go. Would revert back to half wild without human intervention.

Coz would at age 8 still be kicking but could die if the humans he loves and approched were hunters - his love of humans would kill him in a wild state.

Teddy would be stupid enough to take on anything that got in his way for breeding and when he got older the younger k9 would hurt him bad. He now is teenager stupid at age 3 young male. But agile and speed middle name... He also would approuch humans in agoofy state and possible get shot for being big and brindle.

Ice and Spirit and Pebbles youngest would do well strong natural instincts and young enough to adapt to a wild state.

Tanky Wanky due to neglect by his previous owners would DIE. His structure is horrible and he would be injured fast age 6.

Bam Bam the working LGD would go one and do well compared to all of them since he has NEVER lived inside and thou he loves attention he can and has lived without it.

Justice my non breeding pet from CA_ would be killed 3rd to Tank and Bear.
She lacks common sense, and pack drive the pack would leave her to die .
And human would shoot her the minute she went OFF for no reason.
But her sigthhound speed would keep her alive past Tank and Bear..

Working pack dogs would outlive any solitary dog of any breed.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].