Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Original Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahFish View Post
100 pounds! wow! thats what, about 50kg?
Lui is about 25kg, about 50 pounds? i think, not sure on pounds-kilograms stuff
But yes, they look quite similar, Lui looks that fluffy when he's fully coated, i've got a few where he looks very close to that pic you have which I will post soon.
But Lui has also been quite light. A couple of years ago at his annual vet trip the vet said he needed to put on some weight, he was about 22-23kg at the time, and now I think he's all good. He's always been quite lean, people think he's huge but then we bath him and he shrinks!
Can I ask how old Conar was? Lui's great aunt and grandmother lived till 14 1/2 and 15 1/2 so fingers crossed Lui will too. He's 7 1/2 at the moment
I believe he was about 11 or so. I'm not entirely sure, because my dad was his 2nd owner. (Well 3rd technically.) He was a gigantic boy though he wasn't overweight either. He was also pretty tall. He would get mistaken for a Great Pyr sometimes due to his size. I wish I had a picture of him AFTER he got out of the water, he looked like a little stick figure dog.

Lui looks MUCH better with his coat.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Top Dog

Conar did look big, but not overweight, just physically looked larger than Lui.
Lui is kinda little though, his uncle is quite a bit bigger.

That's my gorgeous Samoyed Lui, and the cat, Fluffy Bum (named after the cat in the book Bad Jelly the Witch!)

Old 11-16-2007, 01:16 AM
Top Dog

And more, some of these show his size a bit better, some are just more of me showing him off, sorry, but I love it!

Another one of our walks. There's a herd of cows that live here, but dogs can still be walked here. This time Lui decided it would be really fun to chase a calf (don't worry the calf was fine) and this cow was so close to attacking him! He just thought it was hilarious though, running off like nothing was wrong!

On our Pukerua Bay walk. Lui's cracked how water bottles work so we don't have to bring bowls with us.

Pukerua Bay again, I think this one shows his size a bit better. As you can see he's a lot smaller than Conar's picture.
This one's awesome because this is what he does at any beach, runs in, sees a wave coming, and tries to escape, but gets soaked! He doesn't like waves.

That's my gorgeous Samoyed Lui, and the cat, Fluffy Bum (named after the cat in the book Bad Jelly the Witch!)

Old 11-16-2007, 05:14 AM
Crazy dog girl

In your place, I'd be SO MAD! Especially if you show! If his coat is never the same, what will you do?

Did you let them know what they had done wrong? Boy, I would have...

I was told never to take my bitch to a groomer. I was told that they have no idea what they're doing, and nine times out of ten will screw the dog up.

I'm glad you know all of that stuff. Lots of people shave sammys and keesies and eskies and have no idea that its really bad for them.

He's a beautiful boy and you're a lucky mom to have him!

Can't wait for more pictures!!!!! PS- if you show, let us know how you do!! I'm somewhat involved in showing, although I don't show nearly as much as many other people do, and before anyone starts freaking out, no, I don't breed.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Top Dog

i like like him more before the grooming.... ^_^ anyway... he's still adorable ^_^
Old 11-17-2007, 01:36 AM
Top Dog

I have done in the past the odd young handlers class, but in more recent months I've been taking my breeder's dogs in some of their shows, like the odd limits class.
But on the 24th of November (only 1 week!!) I'm taking Lui all by myself in a snow dogs show, with Samoyeds, Malamutes and Huskies. His coat has come back as good as it was (if it hadn't some groomers would be getting some more phone calls/emails) so he's all go! I'm bathing him tomorrow, not sending him off again, so I'm really looking forward to it. My breeder used to do all the showing with him because he's not incredibly obedient and wasn't your perfect show dog, he used to pull a lot so I couldn't show him, but now I'm older the breeder suggested I take him to this and I think he's going to do really well. I'll make a post next week when we get back from it, hopefully with some ribbons!

Our breeder never told us to not take him to a groomer, but she did a couple of years ago and her dog, my boy's sister, got completely shaved, just shows how even the experts still have bad stuff happen.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I can't understand why a person would just begin to shave another persons dog without express permission - boggles the mind!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Love My KEEShond

Well I own a Spitz breed, so I really hope he grows that coat in fast. True, his shave was cute, but its nothing compared to a Samoyed with a full coat--they're gorgeous.

Max has tons of fur too, since he's a Keeshond. We've never shaved him before, not even in the summer, which people find hard to understand.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

The not understanding thing has happened to us plenty of times. We'll be walking him in the summer and we get comments like "doesn't he get hot" or "why don't you shave him". Honestly, the amount of times we've had to explain the double coat thing, how it keeps them warm or cool and how he'd get sunburnt etc if it got shaved off.
I do love his full coat, that's a real highlight about Samoyeds, their white, full coat and fluffy mane.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Love My KEEShond

Gosh, I don't know how many times I've explained his double coat If you've never seen a picture of Max, here he is.

His coat is soo thick, the picture doesn't really show it.