Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Crazy dog girl

To be honest, you're really not supposed to shave a spitz-type breed, *even* in the summer.

I see alot of people do it, and they all say, "Oh, well, he matts, or he gets too hot..."

Well, if you take away all of his long guard hairs, he's going to sun burn, because he has no skin protection because all of his guard hairs have been shaved away.

He'll be more easily bothered by insects and environmental problems because, once again, his skin has no protection.

The dog should be blowing out coat any way in the summer, so its not like the undercoat will be there. That's really what keeps a double coated breed warm.

The guard hairs are water proof, harsh protectors, keeping the wooly undercoat free from matts and insects.
Plus, guard hairs take about 2 years to fully grow back out, and the coat will never ever look the same again. Sometimes, it even comes back in curly, darker, or will forever be more sparse.

And, because it takes so long for the guard hairs to come back, his wooly undercoat will matt more easily, because it doesn't have anything to protect it.

Just thought you'd like to know. I have a spitz breed and this information was given to me by the breeder I purchased her from, and the breeder has been showing the dogs in agility and conformation for 30 years, just in case you were wondering where I pulled all of this info.

Hopefully, you won't shave him again.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Bored Now.

Ooops--Sarah, I didn't mean I like the clip better. I DEFINITELY like him with a full coat better, lmao! Just saying the clip was quite cute.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

LappieLover I know!
We didn't shave him! We took him to the groomers, said he needed a bath and brush because he had a show that weekend. The second picture is what they did, and then we had to completely shave him elsewhere because there was no way to make it look any better!
We knew all about the undercoat overcoat thing and the groomers said they knew what they were doing too, but they didn't.
We would NEVER have shaved him! And I completely understand the double coat thing, with the under acing as the thermos layer keeping him cool or hot depending on time of year etc.
You may have not seen my other thread on bad dog grooming experiences. Of course you might not want to because instead of getting more stories a few people told me about not taking show dogs to breeders etc. A few of those people said it was all my fault which, whilst I made an error in taking him there, I felt horrible and that all just made it worse.
He will never be shaved again! Some people have said he looks better but I love him long coated. Also we got so lucky, and even his breeder said so, in that his coat grew back perfect and he can still show. In fact the same thing happened to the breeder with my dogs sister a few years ago and that grew back fine too.
Just so you know, I'm not snapping or anything, but I do know all of that stuff and even though the groomers assured us they did to it turns out they didn't.
When we got him the breeder gave us all that info and I read about it in books anyway, and I had all that knowledge.
The only time I've ever heard of a Samoyed getting shaved was when it had excema, but other than that it should stay as it is.
And the sunburn thing was a big worry. It was in winter though so he was fine he just got cold, something he'd never really experienced until now!
So yes, I did know of all of that info, except for the 2 years thing, our breeder said about 1, and also how it can grow back worse. I had been told it may grow back in a bad condition, but I had no idea it could get darker. Thanks for mentioning that, and him and his sister both got lucky and are still showing.
So he is never ever ever ever getting shaved again. People may say it's better but when you know the breed like you and I do we know how bad it can be. Thanks for saying that by the way, in easy terms, because some people don't understand why they're not supposed to be shaved.

That's my gorgeous Samoyed Lui, and the cat, Fluffy Bum (named after the cat in the book Bad Jelly the Witch!)

Old 11-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

And yes noludoru, it's fine. It's actually reassuring to know he did suit it! A few people would laugh at him but I didn't think he looked too bad, considering, and it's pretty much fixed now. And I did think he was kind of cute with a short clip, but cuter back to normal nonetheless.

That's my gorgeous Samoyed Lui, and the cat, Fluffy Bum (named after the cat in the book Bad Jelly the Witch!)

Old 11-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

Oh he's so handsome! I love the first pic, the beach looks beautiful!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

It is an awesome place to walk! But it's all stones so it's hard to walk on, not that Lui cares! He falls asleep as soon as we get home though, which is so cute!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahFish View Post
I've been a member for a while but haven't quite got around to posting pictures. Now I've cracked how to do it so here you go!

Lui at Pukerua Bay beach, on one of our long walks! He loves it!
More pics coming soon, now I can do it I love to show him off!
Now THIS is a spectacular shot! And you should show him off . . . he's gorgeous

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Top Dog

His mouth looks weird but I agree he does look good in his beach shots! The waves and that look good actually, now I look properly!
Thank you all for your comments!

Old 11-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Top Dog

He's gorgeous, I like the third picture, he's fur on his legs looks like boots.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

Yeah they had to trim the leg hair to even it up, and it does kinda look like boots, I never really noticed though.