Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

Default temperament

I've been reading about how people say, before you get your puppy, check the mother and father for good temperaments, and the puppy too. So what's a good temperament for both? Bad?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Top Dog

Both parents should be happy to be met by you and well mannered. The puppy evaluation should have already been done by the breeder, for them to tell you what scores each got. If you don't have this and want to narrow it down ( how many do you have to pick from ?) to one. I can post what to look for. How long do you have before you get your pup ?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Top Dog

I've actually already got my pup, for about a week now. I don't know anything about evaluating his temperment. So any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-08-2005, 05:54 AM
Top Dog

Here is a site for you to look over.
http://www.kerryblues.info/index.htm.../TEMPTEST.HTML
Old 06-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

Ahh.. My puppy scored mostly 1's. I'm not sure if that means he's "extremely dominant and has aggressive tendancies", or if it's just in his breed and age. I've heard everywhere that Lab pups bite like nuts.. so I'm not sure.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Active Pup

You already have him and I doubt you're going to give him back! The one way to tell a great dog is lay him on his back and see how he reacts-a good dog will calm down and lay :-)

And if he is wound, he's a puppy I'm sure he'll calm down with age! If not, work on his temperament and train him
Old 06-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Happy

Hey, wait a second. A lot of good dogs were puppies who wouldn't take kindly to being flipped like a turtle. The test means something - that the puppy is pretty easy-going and not going to be as big a handful as the puppy who pops to his feet snapping like a barracuda - but the test has nothing to do with how good a dog he'll be. It tests how suitable the puppy is for a novice, casual (or just plain tired) human, since the mellow puppy is going to be much easier to live with.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:47 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

being place on the back is something that is taught gently not something that comes naturally..the first time i tried to hold Victor like a baby he flipped..really flipped right out of my arms. I would not place any credit to that..Victor is very gentle and good with everyone two and four footed. A complactent dog might do it naturally but most likely it means that a puppy has been handled by people from a very young age..

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Big German Shepherd

Staring contest is the way to do it.

Whoever doesn't look away is dominant.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:21 AM
no touchy

I don't really agree with alpha rolls, I think they're stupid. I like Nothing In Life Is Free to teach dogs that humans are above dogs. NILIF involves things such as the dog must obey a command before receiving his dinner, he has to wait until the humans have gone in or out of the door, and that he must obey a command for any loving or a treat. I don't make my dogs obey a command before they get some loving, but if I'm petting another dog, and the others want attention, I usually make the two others sit and wait until I'm ready to pet them.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.