Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-13-2007, 09:39 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
I believe that DA dogs will, fail in the end........they may rule at first but it will be the dogs with the best social skills that will survive.
I don't agree with this necessarily..........DA dogs will still pack up.......the strongest would still lead, there would be squabbles but the strong would rule the roost until it lost to the next strongest came to take the "crown" for leader..........sort of like a pack of lions or hyenas, baboons, or any other group like that.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
You make good points, George . . . except Some of us live with dogs who aren't overly developed to emphasize one or two traits. That's one of the beauties - and responsibilities - of living with a more "primitive" breed. I can personally vouch for mine's abilities to stalk, kill and eat on their own. They really prefer what they hunt themselves. They also work together as a pack. They will use their herding instincts to drive their quarry where they want it, then one confronts and distracts while the others circle around, cutting off escape and making sure one is behind the prey to disable. They even confront human threats that way. But, you've gotta figure that anything that hunts jaguar . . . .
I tend to agree, my jrts will hunt as a pack or by themselves.........they do track, chase and take down quarry and they will eat it.
I watched one of my girls, while chasing a rabbit, put her head under the rabbits belly and grab the opposite front leg and bring it down, she then violently shook it, flipped it over and put in a death hold by the throat.
Interesting style at a dead run.
My one dog will sit for hours and not move a muscle, waiting for a mouse to appear, that fast he has it, one chomp its done and he will eat them. He will also play with them like a cat, throwing them in the air and catching them.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Felurian

Heheh . . . there used to be a JRT that lived in the trailer park next to Charley's farm who LOVED to come over and hunt with Bimmer.

As long as Buffy wasn't around.

The poor little guy had insulted her once and she never forgot . . . or let him forget. She had him completely convinced that if she ever caught him he was an appetizer. Of course, she could catch him anytime she wanted, she just liked to torment him.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Fishies!

Its been said that Dingos came to Aust. with the aboriginals and then became feral. The same is thought about the Carolina Dog. The Carolina does spend much of its time on the edge of human civilization, but they have made several adaptations, including den digging, to the wild. Just because they use the edges of human settlements does not mean they need it, raccoons and skunks do not give up free meal either!

My old retriever would fetch with a soft mouth, but was also prey driven. She had 2 baby skunks and an escaped domestic rabbit to her credit. She would have been too slow to deal with grown ones though. GSDs are notorious cat killers, I guess you cant herd cats! I've seen a cattle dog dig for its own water before... Hyper-DA wont go far, ie some pits, but those who just squabble, or fight over something good isn't unfeasible. Wolf hybrids have been called DA before...

I think the major failing of many breeds would be speed. Unless there is a great pack working out, there is no substitute for speed. Coat and climate would also come close, a double coat would be required in most of NA and Europe.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Gadget Hound

I think that some of us are making different points.

"Which ones will survive?" could mean which will find enough food to last through the first winter...my poodle certainly wouldn't, not unless he was clever enough to fashion his own can opener (won't eat dry kibble) but other dogs would.

However, to survive can also mean continue to exist and compete. I think the fact that one GSD was able to survive with a pack of coyotes is interesting,but does not mean they could compete with true coyotes to survive over time. My guess is that rather quick real wolves and real coyotes would prove why they have survived so well thus far.

PSYFALCON does make a great point about Dingos....from what I have read they are descended from domestic dogs, or probably a single domestic dog that was brought to Australia by Asians thousands of years ago. In Australia there were no foxes/coyotes/wolves to compete with, and they filled a void. So, domestic dogs could well survive on islands where there is no large carnivore competition....Puerto Rico?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I don't agree with this necessarily..........DA dogs will still pack up.......the strongest would still lead, there would be squabbles but the strong would rule the roost until it lost to the next strongest came to take the "crown" for leader..........sort of like a pack of lions or hyenas, baboons, or any other group like that.
Sorry I didn't make myself clear, what I meant was the severly aggressive.
Those are the ones that I don't think will be tolerated. As we know aggression doesn't necessarily mean alpha, especially in the extreme.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:10 AM
BusterLove

First breed that came to mind that would do well I would have to say would be ACD's. They can live happily never being bathed, they're great litlle hunters, can look after themselves and hold their own when needed. Same would go for kelpies.

BC's probably not so good as their coats would mat.

Where I used to live there were aLOT of strays, they basically just hung around town, most were ACD mixes and I believt hats how Buster would have grown up if we hadn't grabbed him.
Also saw packs of dogs in the middle of the bush, so yes domestic dogs can easily live dependantly.

Also most dingoes arn't pure anymore thanks to wild dogs mixing with them and interbreeding.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post

Border Collies, it's hard to say. They have the build, coat, drive and speed to survive in the wild, and the brains to outwit most of the competition, but most don't have the inborn hunting skills of hounds or terriers. I think they'd learn quickly, and they certainly have stealth on their side (BCs are the ninjas of the dog world) but you must keep in mind that these dogs were bred NOT to hurt prey animals. The end result (the kill) of the chain of hunting behaviors (herding) that they perform has been bred out of them, and I think it'd take desperate starvation for a border collie to realize that their quarry is actually food. Also I have to admit, I don't know if a breed that was developed to work closely with humans would be okay without them. If I went *poof*, I don't know if Eve would ever stop waiting for me.
I was thinking they are fully able to survive on their own but without their people they would see no reason. Almost all border collies I have met work to please their owner. They are never happier then when they are doing what their owner asks. Bandit starved himself when I went on vacation and left him behind. He'd be dead pretty quick.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:20 AM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
First breed that came to mind that would do well I would have to say would be ACD's. They can live happily never being bathed, they're great litlle hunters, can look after themselves and hold their own when needed. Same would go for kelpies.

BC's probably not so good as their coats would mat.

Where I used to live there were aLOT of strays, they basically just hung around town, most were ACD mixes and I believt hats how Buster would have grown up if we hadn't grabbed him.
Also saw packs of dogs in the middle of the bush, so yes domestic dogs can easily live dependantly.

Also most dingoes arn't pure anymore thanks to wild dogs mixing with them and interbreeding.
My boys coats never mat and I will honestly admit I never brush them except behind the ears. Well the odd time I will not it's not a common ritual around here. They are mat free. They do not have a thick coat or a thin coat. They've got a nice, no effort coat suitable for all weather.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:36 AM
Top Dog

I hadn't thought about the coat types before. What would happen to a poodle's coat with no one to groom it? I've heard the coat never falls out and never stops growing?

Yes, I do think breeds with long coats like Irish setters, show-style English setters, etc, would die out over time.

I think huskies would adapt well . . . They're athletic, prey-driven, get along great in packs, and are independant (from humans.) Though probably they would stay in the cooler parts of the world . . . They could overheat in hot places.