Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-13-2007, 08:54 AM
:( only one :(

My guys will chase squirrels an sometimes cats though I try to stop them from doing so. One of these days a cat, who are bigger then 2 of my dogs, will not run away and fight back and probably cause quite a bit of damage on the dogs.

I had a friend come over to our house with her dog who happened to chase our cat around the house. The owner thought it was funny though I did not, poor Nemo. I wonder if she would have laughed as much if my cat decided to scratch back....humm!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Lord Cynical

Mine don't show any interest in snakes or toads, and we dont' really have lizards here.

They aren't encouraged to chase anything except each other, namely becuase the dobes will run for hours after their quarry (or at least Ilsa will). Ilsa has killed wild animals twice before and I'm not keen on repeating those events anytime in the future!

Ada will try to round up anything nearby, but not actually hurt anything. She's allowed to do this, but wanton chasing is not allowed.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 11-13-2007, 09:10 AM
We are Home.

Walker yes and so is Patches jsut not cats although neither have tryed to chase cats either and toads are kinda irrelevent here cuz you dont get many in my yard and when we do they tend to avoid them. walker kinda got attacked by one once it decided it didnt want to be chased and jumped at his face LOL. Scirrocco isnt because he doesnt "see" fences or anything when he is chasing and can break his neck.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Angel Chicken

Absolutely.

She is ok with cats... she'd much rather play with them than chase them.

Any other small game though, squirrels, rabbits, birds, etc., is fair game though. Since I am trying to get her to tree/retrieve/flush out animals, I let her do as she pleases when she goes after something. As long as she comes back and as long as they aren't amphibian, I'm all cool with it. I actually encourage it!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Top Dog

So it appears the majority feels it's okay for their pets to terrorize another creature but would be on here bitching if it was a larger dog doing the same to their beloved pets? Interesting.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:19 PM
We are Home.

So i geuss your telling me that i should disipline my HUNTING dogs from doing what i have trained them to do. And believe it or not unless another dog is trying to attack mine they can chase it all they want its called PLAY! My dog has been chased by a hog and a buck and you know what thats life. He messes with them he gets chased. And the only one thats not a hunting dog chases squirrels up trees

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Angel Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island dog View Post
So it appears the majority feels it's okay for their pets to terrorize another creature but would be on here bitching if it was a larger dog doing the same to their beloved pets? Interesting.
When your dog is used in hunting, and you want to keep their drive sharp as a tack, hell yes.

If it is a larger dog chasing my dog down, hell yeah I'll bitch, because a large dog (or any dog for that matter) should not be loose in the first place. My dog is a small dog, she is easy to catch. Is it so easy to catch a big dog at large? Plus my dog wouldn't have a CHANCE at a bigger dog. she'd be ripped to bits.

It's a danger not only to people, but the dogs too!! I just had to call the landlord on one of my neighbors yesterday because their Doberman chased after my old man when he came home for lunch, and wouldn't let him get past the car. THAT is dangerous. Letting our dogs chase animals under our supervision is not. Big difference.

My dog is doing exactly what she is told by ME. She is being told to chase these animals because I gave her the permission to do so. I hunt with her, so of course I let her chase things down. 9 times out of 10 she won't catch them.

Alot of the dogs that are here today are bred to do just that, chase animals. I'm not going to stop my dog from doing something that is in her genes.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Are you dead yet?

My dog chasing after a rabbit under my supervision is far different than a dog at large or out of control, chasing after my pet. I don't let my dogs chase other people's pets, and they know the difference between pet rabbits (which never run loose around our property, anyway) and ones that are fair game for chasing.

Also, Rabbits and gophers eat desert landscape. Either they're "terrorized" by the dogs, or they're terrorized by people - and usually people kill them. They have a better chance at survival when it's a dog or cat chasing them vs an angry irrational human with a pellet gun, or poison set out.

The same thing goes for Canada geese up north. They're a nuisance, and being chased by dogs drives them away and conditions them to avoid certain areas, so they don't have to be shot or harassed in more painful ways.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Big Dog

I don't really tell Dante to go chase living beings but if he wants he can chase small insects and frogs since we don't have any that are poisonous. He does want to chase birds but I discourage that cause I have a parrot that he very almost caught once already.. definately don't want to see that a second time.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Top Dog

If I had a dog they would not be allowed to chase cats because that's not fair in my mind, it's someone's pet plus I have cats and the dog could chase rabbits/squirrels/birds only if they were completely able to get away, the dog would have to be told to chase or to leave it. I love rabbits and squirrels and birds so letting my dog kill them would not be something I'd do.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!