Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Top Dog

Default Chase?

Do you allow your dogs to chase? I let my dogs chase cats in our backyard. If they're no a lease, no. I am wary of them chasing frogs & toads,,,,but critters like lizards, roaches, insects, squrriels, pigeons...yeah.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:47 PM
BusterLove

I don't like him chasing, mainly because once he's out of site his recall is non existent.
I do let him track though, if i pick up the signs early enough I put him back on leash and run thorugh the bush with him, I'd love to actually get into tracking with him, he's good at finding things hiding in the grass, not so good at catching them.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

In certain situations, sure. She's a hunting dog and loves it.

Birds - absolutely. I dislike birds, and they always take off, which makes it not-so-likely she'll catch one. I actually encourage it at the barn; we have some sparrows trying to settle in, and if she wants to chase them off, bless her.

Squirrels/chimpmunks/etc - it depends on where we are. If it is an area where they are able to get up a tree quick and aren't going to lure her into the road (ie if we are in the woods) I let her.

Cats - nope. We play "find the kitty" at the barn, where she hunts them down in the haybales, but they are always out of reach. While I don't ever intend to have cats, I don't want to encourage a behavior that would impact her welcome in other people's homes.

Horses are absolutely off-limits because she spends the day on the farm. Deer, she has no interest in chasing.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Top Dog

Absolutely not to cats, I have hunting dogs, that are encouraged to hunt quarry (fox, coon, groundhog), cats are off limits, so are other livestock.
Squirrels etc, sure as long as we are in the right place and they recall when I ask them too.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Twin 2.0

Only if there isn't a road around and it's bunnies or squirrels. Cats are a no because I know too many people with cats that we visit and I will most likely be bringing a cat home in the spring.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
In certain situations, sure. She's a hunting dog and loves it.

Birds - absolutely. I dislike birds, and they always take off, which makes it not-so-likely she'll catch one. I actually encourage it at the barn; we have some sparrows trying to settle in, and if she wants to chase them off, bless her.

Squirrels/chimpmunks/etc - it depends on where we are. If it is an area where they are able to get up a tree quick and aren't going to lure her into the road (ie if we are in the woods) I let her.
Same goes for me...

Cats, she got to chase one once, when she snapped her tie-out in half, but luckily it had a tree to run up..

Other than that one incidence, NO I do not let her chase cats...
Old 11-13-2007, 02:07 AM
Top Dog

I don't allow/encourage Molly to chase any living creatures.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:33 AM
Feelin' Froggy? Jump!

I made the mistake of letting the my aunts dogs out, and not knowing a cat was in the backyard. Needless to say you dont want to see 3 dogs grabbing a cat in 3 different directions.

My guys try to chase squireels, but they are never fast enough and Im usually chasing after them to stop.

"Friendship is like someone peeing on you, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings"

"Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out of it alive"

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, "never try" ."
Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Are you dead yet?

My guys get to chase the wild critters around our house, but they can't just take off. They need to look to me for permission first.. Ground squirrels, jackrabbits, lizards, etc are ok for them to chase. No toads/frogs since most of the ones here are poisonous, no snakes, no insects and NO cats ever since I have a cat and have strict rules for dog behavior around the car.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Snow Girl

I let my guys chase anything that comes into our yard (cats, birds, rodents) except for toads. Toads are completely off limits because they will make the dogs sick. When on walks I will let the dogs tree squirrels too (never offleash though, I run/stalk with them).

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"