Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Help Me!!! ASAP

Okay just last sunday I adopted a coonhound from my local shelter. She is about 2 years old. Her previous owner I was told was very neglectful, and only used her for breeding. She had been at the shelter on 4 different occasions.

However she is timid but, she is very sweet and gentle. She loves people and dogs, and she shows no signs of aggression.

But here is the issue: SHE WON'T PEE OR POO

I'm going crazy here. Somedays she won't go for like 24 hours. It's ridiculous. The only time she'll go is if I walk her around the nieghborhood. But I can't keep walking her everytime she has to go to the bathroom.

What should I do.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Your Mom

For some dogs, especially if she is nervous, it can take them a while to become comfortable enough to go to the bathroom. When I first got Mike I had him for 3 days before he would pee. He refused to poop and at night on the third day I heard one small cry and then he exploded in his crate. Then he held it for three days and exploded in his crate again. After that he began to potty every other day, and then got onto a regular schedule after about 3 weeks of living with me. But even then it took him a couple of months before he would pee anywhere but my yard, and if we went away for a weekend he wouldn't potty at all.

The longer I had him the more this insecurity seemed to slip away. For now be patient. I would give her canned pumpkin in her meals to help ease things along.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 11-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Puppy Dog

Okay thank you for the advice.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Puppy Dog

See Roxy can go to the bathroom. But she just doesn't want to go in the backyard I have to take her on for a walk so she'll go. Its ridiculous.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Formerly DoglessInSeattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover4 View Post
See Roxy can go to the bathroom. But she just doesn't want to go in the backyard I have to take her on for a walk so she'll go. Its ridiculous.
CeCe was pretty much this way too. I'm prepping her for a few minutes before I take her out now, "Potty girl, Potty?" When I take her out she goes pretty quickly. Now I'm doing the prep routine and letting her out into the back yard and she goes right away. Of course she won't move to where she cannot see me.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Twin 2.0

Why is that ridiculous? You should be taking her for a walk regardless of whether or not you have a back yard. She needs exercise and most dogs aren't very good about self-exercising. This is also a chance for her to get out and see the world and maybe start to come out of her timid shell a little bit.

You could also try picking up some of the poop from a walk and putting that in the backyard for her as sort of a starter cue. But she really should be getting walked daily anyway.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Puppy Dog

Ya she does get walked daily, Twice a day actually. But i'm just saying I'm not walking her 5 or 6 times a day so she can finally poo on some guys lawn.

But I'll try putting her poo out in the yard so she can maybe pick up on that.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:46 PM
But please, call me Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Why is that ridiculous? You should be taking her for a walk regardless of whether or not you have a back yard. She needs exercise and most dogs aren't very good about self-exercising. This is also a chance for her to get out and see the world and maybe start to come out of her timid shell a little bit.

You could also try picking up some of the poop from a walk and putting that in the backyard for her as sort of a starter cue. But she really should be getting walked daily anyway.
I think every dog needs to be able to eliminate in their back yard.

I had surgery a couple of years ago and for a week would not have been able to take Dante for a walk, but I could sit in a chair in the back yard and throw the ball for him.

For that matter, Dante doesn't go for a walk every day, strike me down I'm a horrible dog owner. He does however get a lot of training time, play time and with me time...most of it's just not spent walking around the neighborhood.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:47 PM
But please, call me Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover4 View Post
Ya she does get walked daily, Twice a day actually. But i'm just saying I'm not walking her 5 or 6 times a day so she can finally poo on some guys lawn.

But I'll try putting her poo out in the yard so she can maybe pick up on that.
Does she fetch? Is your yard fenced?
99% of the time Dante doesn't poop until he's moved a bit so for your girl it may also be she just needs to get in some movement first.

Also if she is pooping 5 or 6 times a day, you need to look at her diet!!
Old 11-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Twin 2.0

Edit: Never mind.