Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Big Dog

Based on the nutrition studies done at NCSU vet school, we have found that the Total Digestible Nutrients in corn (protein, carbs, etc) is 85% (Soybean meal having a TDN of about 25%), which shows corn is a very digestible grain. Far more digestible than vegetables, which have a TDN of 34%, although they are a good source of fiber. When dogs are allergic to corn, they are usually allergic to the protein portion of the endosperm....this also goes for chicken and other forms of protein--dogs are allergic to more protein sources than just grains (although a grain-BASED diet can be harmful).
Old 08-31-2006, 05:04 PM
Active Pup

Default Dog eats Dog

Yes i recently found out that rendering plants not only use cow, lamb, pig and so on but also dogs and cats too. Pretty bad just thinking about it. I stopped feeding my doxies commercial pet food wet and dry.

Think about where all the road kill goes to? the pets that were put to sleep along with the collars and flea collars and the plastic bags that they are wrapped in? Its just too sick for me to think i was feeding my little dogs this crap and how the manufacturers lie to the customers about what in there Special Blend top quaility dog food.

Last night i cooked and seperate in zip lock bag and freeze the following.

Carrots and Spinach
Chicken along with chicken broth
Rice
Oatmeal

Still trying to come up with other thoughts for the diet. But in the morning i feed them oatmeal and a egg with Natural Receipe dry food (all natural)
and in the evening something like rice and chicken or chicken and veggies.

My older doxie (7) seems to have more energy and more alert since the new diet.

So if any one has any good diet receipes please share.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Felurian

Good work, Doxie Mom . . .

If you'll go through the threads in this food Forum, you'll find a lot of information on home cooked and raw feeding. Also, check out Mordy's site (there is a link in her signature) for well-researched, accurate information. And of course, if you'll start a thread with your questions, you'll get some answers as well

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Puppy Dog

God I am so confused. I feed Nutro Natural for Large Breed....Couldn't find it on the list (maybe I looked at wrong one or I am blind)
Uggggg
Old 10-15-2006, 05:11 AM
Big Dog

And again... Just advertising.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:09 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

Hey, I found this link. Not sure if it has been posted. Its long but definately worth the read

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/petfood1.html
Old 10-19-2006, 03:14 AM
Active Pup

Default Dog Food Industry not regulated...

Dog Food producers are not regulated. There is a reason why the bag/can says, "not fit for human consumption". My dog, a mixed breed, had skin problems until I stopped feeding him dog food from the supermarket and starting preparing his food from "human consumption" ingredients. Not only did his skin problems disappear, but he perked up and is acting years younger. Please do your research...your dog will thank you for it! There seems to be a disturbing trend lately....several of my friends have had dogs less than 6 yrs old develop cancers (liver, bone and kidney), the vets could not say it was their diets, but you think about it....

Larry
Old 10-19-2006, 04:59 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by livestrong View Post
Dog Food producers are not regulated. There is a reason why the bag/can says, "not fit for human consumption". My dog, a mixed breed, had skin problems until I stopped feeding him dog food from the supermarket and starting preparing his food from "human consumption" ingredients. Not only did his skin problems disappear, but he perked up and is acting years younger. Please do your research...your dog will thank you for it! There seems to be a disturbing trend lately....several of my friends have had dogs less than 6 yrs old develop cancers (liver, bone and kidney), the vets could not say it was their diets, but you think about it....

Larry
I have been in a small animal feed producer in my travels as a office equipment salesman. I was shocked at what they use. They use expired foods and recycle them into feed for different animals (including dogs). The place was disgusting with bins of dirty candy bars, potato chips and other unrecognizable smelly dirty foods setting open in large bins. It smelled of spoiled grains. I don't know how they make this stuff into a feed that has consistent taste. I don't think they could. But they don't have to make it taste the same every time it only has to look the same every time .

I am not condeming the whole industry after only seeing one small factory. But it did wake me up to what is allowed in the animal feed world.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Active Pup

Angry Skin problems....now I know why

Sparky suffered from skin allergies all his life. Our vet never recommended feeding him any other food... he was eating Purina Dog Chow brand... I wish I could go back and feed him something else! I am appalled that these practices happen.

Sparky is no longer with us, but I will ensure my daughter is aware of all these issues for her pup.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Spoiled Mutt

Default Read This!!! And Watch The Video.

Still feeding your pooch commercial dog food?

When asked, The President of AAFCO said: "If the
ingredient say's meat or bone meal, you don't know
if it is cattle, or sheep, or horse . . . or fluffy." Then
went on to say: ". . . nutritionally, it is still protein."

Watch the video here;

http://home.att.net/~srcusick/deaddogsinfood.avi

I have a ton of information like this on commercial dog food.

Just send a message and I'll forward it to you.