Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-16-2006, 01:15 AM
Active Pup

I have a question what do you do when you live in a little country where you don't have so many choices ???
It is better home made cook ?
Before I used to give my dogs royal canin , now I;m giving them eukanuba ...
Are they really so bad ????
it is pro plan , dog chow better ????
I really haven't where to choose...
I have seen some american marks here that I haven't heard before like o'roy
or something like that ...
choose her pic ( lola)
put down your email ,
you will get a mail for valid the vote!
Thnks
Old 04-16-2006, 01:52 AM
Island dweller

None of those are really great. WHy don't you start a new thread in the food forum and look for Mordy. She's the expert. She'll help you
Old 04-17-2006, 01:44 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
None of those are really great. WHy don't you start a new thread in the food forum and look for Mordy. She's the expert. She'll help you
Ok Saje I will do that because till yesterday I start looking web about it , I start with teh one you gave me , I try to analize eukanuba product but still need help =OP
I will amke a new board
choose her pic ( lola)
put down your email ,
you will get a mail for valid the vote!
Thnks
Old 04-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Active Pup

I want to say this, which may have been said. My future SIL dad is a vet. A very good one I feel too. his son, SIL, thinks differnt dog foods are bunk. One of my french bull dogs has a algery(sp) that causes her to break out in black bumps that are like pimples. In trying differnt foods, we feel it is corn. If you read the dog food ingredients the first one or in the top 5 is corn. Corn, corn. we found some dog food that did not contain corn, and it made a real difference . I think it was Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken. I think it was very good food, but the place that carried it stopped. This is a real problem in rual Texas. No ones carries it that is close. We have gone to a lamb and rice kibble, but we have not been real happy with it.

We make a large portion of the food that we feed from scratch. It seems to do good with our rescue dogs and our own too.

Just my 2 cents

Richard
New Ulm, Tx
alternate email address that we can get anywhere.
[email protected]

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction.
All your lightning waits inside you...
Old 04-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Certified Animallover!

Hey I am new here upon reading this I am shocked! Is this still happening? I hope It is ok That I cross posted this! This world truly is sad

Old 05-24-2006, 02:38 AM
LabBreeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
Wellness and Wysong are good holistic brands for dogs... I always recommend them. Never buy anything in your regular market unless you like feeding your dog poison and support cruel and pointless animal testing on domesticated dogs...

i disagree. yes, you should feed your dog food that's good for him...but not everyone can get your "holistic brands" where they live...and shipping dog food isn't exactly cheap. my dogs food is not "poison"...as a matter of fact it was one of the FEW listed that said ther was "no phenobarbitol" in the food (none of the varieties of the dog food we use had pheno in it). just because you can afford to get expensive holistic food, doesn't mean everyone else that can't are "supporting cruel and pointless animal testing".
Old 05-24-2006, 02:46 AM
LabBreeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitzgirly94
Yay I'm so glad!
My dogs eat Purina Dog Chow and
that brand is in the clear! I'm
happy that I know my dogs
are healthy thanks to that chart.

regardless of what others have been saying about purina...i still use it...it's been good so far, and i haven't had any problems with it. if you want, you can go to purina's website and find out exactly what all those ingredients in your dogs food are and what they are for.....each person has their own opinions on what dog food is the best.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:48 AM
LabBreeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Actually, the Purina Dog Chow isn't necessarily cleared: it has a 'no result.' But some of the Purina One brand (their version of a premium line) has been found to contain the contaminant.

And Mordy's right about the quality - as usual

it said "no" and the article said if it states "no" then it means none was found. i don't know where you were looking, but all the purina's i saw all had a "no" beside it...not "no result".

just because you think someone is right doesn't mean everyone else does...
Old 05-24-2006, 02:51 AM
LabBreeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedobelover
no dogs cant... i just talked to my vet who has many years research and experience especially with dobermans and corn cant get digested even with kibble... we as humans cant even properly digest... and also....there is no nutrional value with it...

corn isnt digestible anyway you cut it in humans or dogs
The two most common myths about corn are that corn it is not digestible, and that it is an allergen. These two statements are very misleading to the public and NOT true. According to "Small Animal Clinical Nutrition", 4th Edition," corn is 91% digestible. This immediately dispels the myth that corn is not digestible. The story goes... look at how corn comes out when we eat corn on the cob (or some variation on the same crude story), so it can't be very digestible. The reason an ingredient list for pet food says "ground corn" instead of just "corn" is because whole corn is finely ground before it is added to the food. The outer layer of the corn kernel is impervious to stomach acid and grinding the corn is necessary to expose the very digestible inner part of the kernel to the digestive process. Unfortunately, there are people that would rather sell their "corn free" product than to give out correct information. Interestingly, many of these companies do not have access to the corn growing states. The most basic research can attest to the high digestibility of ground corn. Why feed corn?

Corn is 91% digestible
Corn is one of the best sources of linoleic acid
Corn oil is one of the best sources of Omega 6 fatty acid (great for skin and coat)
Corn provides essential amino acids and fiber.
"Corn is nutritionally superior grain compared with others used in pet foods because it contains a balance of nutrients not found in other grains." - Small Animal Clinical Nutrition 4th edition

http://www.beowulfs.com/magazine/corn.htm

now...what was all that about corn being no good and non digestible??
Old 05-24-2006, 02:58 AM
LabBreeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedobelover
Dogs need a balanced meal like humans. Humans are omnivores. We need a mixture of meats and vegetation. Dogs are carnivores. Their digestive tracts are designed to process meat. While they do need some vegetation to aid in digestion, the type and quality are very important. Fillers like brewer's rice and corn gluten (which are the shells of these grains) are primarily undigestible. Corn and soybeans are vegetative products used in many dog foods that are leading causes of allergies in dogs.
~Flint river research company

this right here shows your statement is incorrect and false... corn isnt digestible at all
Canids include the dogs, foxes, coyote and wolf. While all are members of the order Carnivora, most are not, strictly speaking, carnivores. The retention of functional crushing teeth behind the carnassials enables them to eat a variety of foods, and the canids are omnivores.
http://www.azdrybones.com/canids.htm