Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Felurian

That's even more frightening, considering how easily beef contaminated with pentobarbital can make its way into the general food supply.

I am so glad I have a freezer full of beef that I have personal knowledge of every single thing that's been ingested or introduced into the production!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Active Pup

There is a book called "Fast Food Nation" that discuss this topic briefly - especially how the cycle between the various food sources are being fed to each other: pets, cattle, horses, and swine.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:39 AM
~3 Mutts~

Quote:
"Restaurant grease has become a major component of feed grade animal fat over the last fifteen years. This grease, often held in fifty-gallon drums, may be kept outside for weeks, exposed to extreme temperatures with no regard for its future use. "Fat blenders" or rendering companies then pick up this used grease and mix the different types of fat together, stabilize them with powerful antioxidants to retard further spoilage, and then sell the blended products to pet food companies and other end users. The grease is then sprayed on the kibble, to make bland food palatable."
OMG! That's disgusting! Ugh...and the list of pet foods scared me, too. I feed my two puppies Puppy Chow (which I didn't like before I read that). I haven't gotten to change their food yet (unexpected family emergency has got us on a very tight budget). And, Shelby is so picky that she only likes Kibbles n' bits. She'll have to get used to eating something healthy...Thanks for posting this information.

But, I did have a question regarding Josephine's list: why is Canidae not listed there? I've heard it's a wonderful holistic pet food.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Active Pup

There is a monthly (holistic) guide that I subscribe to called Whole Dog Journal (WDJ). Each year, it does extensive studies and rates both dry and canned dog foods. The results are published in their December (canned) and February (dry foods) editions. The journal is wonderful. It provides a lot of great information on how to take care of your dogs naturally. I included the February's 2005 article on dog food to give you an idea of how they rate food products. It's long but worth the read cause I believe you are all "Camp B" folks out there!

I highly recommend this monthly subscription for anyone that loves to learn about natural healthy ways to take great care of their beloved pups! Google it under ?Whole Dog Journal? ~ you find out how to subscribe!

Last edited by Renee750il; 04-26-2005 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Publication requested the article be deleted/copyright violation
Old 04-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Quigleyfied

dogtired, please be aware that you are violating copyright by directly copying and pasting information from the WDJ. i'm not talking about address listings, but actual parts of articles.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 04-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Felurian

I've e-mailed the magazine asking for permission to allow the article to remain posted. When I hear back from them I'll act in accordance with their wishes. They are a publication that does NOT rely on advertising to support expenses in order to remain impartial, and, as such, this is a publication that is supported by subscription. www.whole-dog-journal.com

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Top Dog

Talking

I just wanted to inform you that when I worked in a vet clinic for 5 years we saw MANY,MANY dogs that came in with urinary tract infections and crystals . They all ate the same food, Nutro Lamb and Rice. My dogs were on it for a while and had the same problem. I switched immediatley and it never came back again. I own/show pugs and they all eat the same food as puppies and as adults. I feed Solid Gold Just A Wee Bit. It is specially formulated for small breeds. I suggest that you try this and feed them each seperatley, twice a day. You may be suprised by how much they like it. It's worth the money and it does not have any of the "bad stuff" in it. If you read the ingredient list, you will see only foods and words that you can recognize and pronounce. Not to mention, when you open the vacume sealed bag, it smells like fresh edible food and not fatty and stale like the other foods. I sware by it! Their skin is great, eyes clear, coats are full and shiny...which is an added benefit for the show ring!! I will put a link to their website : http://www.solidgoldhealth.com.

Happy feeding!
Old 04-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Felurian

You'll notice that the article from the Whole Dog Journal has been deleted. I received an answer to my e-mail:

Dear Renee:

Thank you for contacting us regarding the use by http://www.chazhound.com/forums of the dog food article from The Whole Dog Journal. The Publisher and Editor-in-Chief have a firm policy of not allowing our editorial material on other websites and forums. The use and misuse of our articles has gotten out of control, so they just don't allow it. In fact, there is someone on staff who works full time to find and legally enforce these copyright infringements so she probably would have uncovered your forum at some point. We appreciate your honesty and desire to educate members about better dog care, but we do request that the posting be removed immediately.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Mona Kornfeld
Belvoir Media Group
Ph: (203) 857-3143
Fax: 203/857-3103

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-26-2005, 05:28 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i am dense..what does all that mean?
Old 04-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Felurian

Basically, just that they don't let anyone use their articles and that even if we had not contacted them for their permission they would have found us anyway and zapped us.

They didn't even read the e-mail I sent them very carefully. This person seems to think that I was the one who posted the article. I asked them to look at the forum and see the context in which it was used, but the reply came back so quickly and is such a rote "no" that I doubt they even looked.

I've gotta admit, I'm kind of disappointed in a publication that is supposed to be concerned about the welfare of dogs. I understand that they are solely supported by subscriptions and can't afford to let their work be posted all over the net, but I'm disconcerted that no one actually took the time to evaluate and realize that it was excellent publicity and could have resulted in new subscribers. I had planned to subcribe, but have changed my mind.

After all, we have Mordy, and I believe her information is much better researched and evaluated with a keener mind . . . and she cares

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian