Foods containing euthanasia drug

Here's a link that I found posted on another forum. I've read about the use of euthanized pets as ingredients in dog food, and this lists the results of an actual study done tracing the amounts of sodium pentobarbital in dog and puppy foods.

Edit: The site was moved. The first link goes directly to the chart, the second to the home page.

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/dfchart.htm

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/default.html

Last edited:
Renee, I'm glad to see someone else refer to this finding. I hope it will serve as an eye-opener, and help people to think about what's really going on in the pet food industry. Another good site is http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm . They have an article there called "what's really in pet foods". After reading these two, hopefully someone will find a good food!

Excellent resources. True comparisons are hard to find.

A Quote from the api4animals.com's website:
"What can the feeding of such products do to your companion animal?
Some veterinarians claim that feeding slaughterhouse wastes to animals increases their risk of getting cancer and other degenerative diseases. The cooking methods used by pet food manufacturers -- such as rendering, extruding (a heat-and-pressure system used to "puff" dry foods into nuggets or kibbles), and baking -- do not necessarily destroy the hormones used to fatten livestock or increase milk production, or drugs such as antibiotics or the barbiturates used to euthanize animals."
:eek:

BabyBoo

hmmm that makes me wonder if that is how one of my dogs (that we had to put to sleep 2 years ago) developed cancer... because we never really found out and it has bothered me ever since.

mommi

i AM REALLY UPSET WITH THIS, WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS? i ALSO HAD TO PUT MY 6 YEAR OLD rOTTIE DOWN BECAUSE SHE HAD LIVER CANCER. dO YOU KNOW HOW IT GETS IN THERE? I WAS TOLD THEY USE ANIMALS THAT HAVE BEEN PUT DOWN TO ADD TO THE DOG FOOD. THIA IS SO SAD THAT WE BUY PRODUCTS THINKING THAT THEY ARE GOOD FOR OUR BABYS AND IT IS ONLY A SLOW DEATH.

puppylove

Puppy Love
As pet owners we assume that products sold on the market are healthy and safe for our pets - we think that companies would not sell anything that would be harmful. Apparently we are all naive. I came across this information several years ago and it was the impetus I needed to start my own business. I had worked in the corporate world where it is all about the bottom-line, so these findings did not surprise me. I have now made it my mission to educate people so when they choose pet foods and treats they can at least make an informed decision. Did you know that Vet schools are taught nutrition by the big pet food companies? They do not have their own nutrition programs. This is a huge conflict of interest in my opinion. They also get kickbacks and special bonuses for selling the specialty vet foods. Remember this when getting nutritional advice from a Vet. We go to a dietician, not a doctor when we need nutritional advice. There is unfortunately no equivalent in the pet world. Reading pet food labels is imperative. Judge the food quality for yourself based on the ingredient listing.

I have compiled a list of my findings on the subject, including what to look for on your pet food labels and links to some good articles on my website at http://www.puppylovegourmetbakery.com/didyouknow.htm This page also has a list of foods that are healthy alternatives to all the common store bought brands. Also our newsletter page is a good resource for further nutritional advice. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want further details on how to read pet food labels. Also check out the rest of the site for our healthy treats - all of which are formulated with your pet's health in mind and approved by our consulting veterinarian - who has a biology degree in addition to her Vet degree and is one of the growing groups of Vets who are questioning the pet food companies and suggesting more biologically appropriate diets.

pitbulliest

Wellness and Wysong are good holistic brands for dogs... I always recommend them. Never buy anything in your regular market unless you like feeding your dog poison and support cruel and pointless animal testing on domesticated dogs...

so what are some safe dog foods?? I cant really control what my dogs are fed because my parents buy it... right now we are getting Kirkland Brand (costco) but if its not healthy I will pay the extra for good brands... what are good SAFE brands??

There is a good list at www.greatdanelady.com, as well as many crucially informative articles. You can also go to www.naturapet.com and use the comparison capability to look at different brands, their ingredients and how they are derived.

I haven't had the time to look at Puppylove's sites or Tigger's sites, but you should check them out, too. There's no such thing as too much information.

JRT_Rattie_Mom

Terrier Lover!
Shocking stuff!! ... and question?

Our JRT, Lucy came home with us at 8 weeks (2 1/2 years ago) along with a bag of Purina Hi-Pro dog food (which the breeder recommended keeping her on... since he fed all of his dogs this food... hmm) but she started having skin problems, which we narrowed down to corn. We ended up putting her on Nutro Lamb & Rice as a puppy, and at 2 1/2 her skin problems are gone, for the most part.

I've been buying Nutro all this time, thinking it was a "very" premium dog food, but after reading all of the resources here I'm am ready to try another brand. We recently adopted a Rat Terrier (4 1/2 months old) that is very thin, and had been on Trader Joe's Lamb & Rice (adult food) in the rescue. I bought the Nutro Lamb & Rice puppy food for her, but we keep food out all the time for both dogs. Lucy, the JRT has always been a "snack" eater, she is just too "busy" to eat all at once, and her weight is just right at 16 lbs. With Holly being so thin, having the food out all the time is okay for her too... but the problem I'm now having is that I have 1 bowl of Nutro *adult* Lamb & Rice, and 1 bowl of Nutro *puppy* Lamb & Rice... so you can probably guess the problem! Lucy is going for the *puppy* food, and Holly is going for the *adult* formula!

Just wondering if I should try to "force" them to eat just twice a day (and try to keep them at the correct bowl!) ... or not worry too much about this? I looked briefly at most of what is considered the "premium" more natural dog food web sites, but wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good food that would be work well for both a puppy, AND my 2 1/2 year old... so that 1 food will work for both??

Any suggestions are welcome... and thanks!

I've got the same kind of problem: Bimmer, for some unknown reason, lets Kharma eat out of his bowl, and of course, she thinks anything tastes better out of Bimmer's bowl! I gave up on feeding him the adult formula and they all just get Innova puppy food for now. Bimmer's such an active dog that it doesn't add any excess weight (we're actually trying to put a few pounds on him before winter every year, but it's hard). You might even consider mixing the puppy food and adult food half and half.

JRT_Rattie_Mom

Terrier Lover!
Thanks for the suggestion! Mixing the two sounds like a good plan. At least Holly should get "some" of the puppy food this way, unless she figures out how to "sort" nuggets, LOL! :p

candy722

What's a good dry food for dogs that is affordable and that contains no by pass products?

We love the EVO by Innova. It looks expensive at first glance, but you feed much less than other foods AND you don't have the health problems - saving on vet bills down the road. Just be sure to follow the feeding instructions and DON'T OVERFEED.

PawsRanch6

We too feed Kaycee & Fritzi a food from Costco...However we do not feed the Kirkland one we feed the Teal bag that is "Nutra Nuggets" It is a premium food at a reasonable price I feel. It was not on any of the tests! Have a 13 yr old shepherd that has been on it since she was 2 and no problems with her. Kaycee is 7 w/allergies and been on it from when he turned a year. Mom has a 12 year old Newfoundland with dozens of alergies and no trouble! My other dogs are on Eukanuba Premium performance and Iams puppy. I live 3 hours from a Costco so I buy a lot at 1 time so I really don't want to feed it to all 6 and have to worry bout keeping it stocked! lol

Aside from the nutritional deficiencies and chemical garbage found in Eukanuba/Iams products, have you seen any of the information on the reprehensible treatment of the lab animals the company practices? The pet supply store I use even stopped carrying any of their products because of this.

josephine

a really good article...

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dogfoods.html

Some of the foods that people swear by are (in alphabetical order):

* Avo-Derm
* AvoActive Care
* Authority (at PetsMart)
* California Natural
* Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul (ed. note: gosh I hate that name for a dog food)
* Diamond
* Eagle
* Eukanuba
* Iams
* Innova
* Kirkland C & R (available at Costco - made by Diamond)
* Kirkland L & R (available at Costco - made by Diamond)
* Lamaderm
* Natural Balance
* Nutro Natural Choice
* Premium Edge
* Professional L & R
* Pro Plan
* Royal Canin Labrador 30
* Sensible Choice
* Wellness

Some of the things on that site are common sense, but much of what is offered as "information" is nothing more than opinion offered in an authoritative manner with no factual or researched basis to back it up.

I do like the care they say they take in placing their pups, but I notice they don't say anything (at least anywhere obvious to me) about health guarantees, hips or address any possible health issues.

I think these breeders probably mean well, but may be doing as much harm as good with their nutrition opinions - you really can't call it solid information since there's really nothing much offered other than personal anecdote. If you'll check out Linda Arndt's site, I think you'll see what I'm talking about. There are others that are well researched as well, I really like hers because not only is the information good, it's presented in a common sense way that you can not only understand, but follow. One of her standards is you have to have a feeding program that the owner can actually keep up with - nothing so exotic that the poor owner gives up on.

LindaD

I don't want euthanasia (pentobarbital) in my pets' food either. However, you'll be a little relieved to know it's not coming from euthanized dogs and cats. Very sensitive tests were run in 2000 that showed a complete absence of DNA material from dogs and cats. It likely came from euthanized cattle. Still not good since it means the pet food company is using 4D meats.
www.fda.gov/cvm/efoi/DFreport.doc

Members online

No members online now.