Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default Blue Seal Dog Food

What do you guys know about this food?

I'm especially more curious about this one in particular
http://blueseal.com/product/?id=16&s...og&search=true

This is what the breeder has been feeding my puppy. Well, she's been mixing it with California Natural puppy lamb and a little bit of canned food.

I was looking at the ingredients and as long as the chicken fat doesn't bother Cricket (she can't do the meat), but I think she has had stuff with chicken fat in it and did fine. If all my dogs would do well on this food I'm considering trying it out. It's cheaper than what I'm feeding now and all my current dogs like pork a lot.

They also have a buyer reward program (buy 12 get 1 free)
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle

Last edited by skittledoo; 08-19-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: changed the title to make more sense
Old 08-21-2014, 08:45 AM

Bump....
Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Aware

I know that it's nothing I'd touch with a ten foot pole, but I don't think that's the answer you're looking for.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Very Food Agressive

Doesn't look like they offer grain free formulas. How does your crew do with grains?

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

It doesn't look terrible but it does look grain heavy. I did some looking on the company and they look by and large to be a feed company. They have some different dog food brands:

http://www.nativedogfood.com/
http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/

The latter does have a grain free formula.

The only place locally that carries any of their stuff is an agricultural place; even the big feed store that seems to carry everything under the sun doesn't have any of it. I don't know a lot about the company but I could ask around. Looks like they've had some recalls on livestock feed in the past but nothing concerning to me personally.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-21-2014, 03:11 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Never heard of it! So...no opinion. LOL

Last edited by *blackrose; 08-21-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:56 AM

Ok. I have mixed feelings about feeding it. My problem is most puppy specific food I find seems to be chicken based and a lot of Xolos tend to have issues with chicken. I could go with the cal natural puppy which is lamb. He has been getting a mix of that with the blue seal. The blue seal is an all life stages pork based food and the breeder said her xolos seem to do best on a pork based diet. Grains are ok for the little dude for now, but if I notice him not doing well on grains then I'll switch him. On my xolo group it seems to be pretty across the board that a lot of their Xolos do better on a grain inclusive diet oddly enough. Trying to avoid a lot of potatoes and peas. Prefer not to spend more than $55 for approx 30lbs worth. Then there is trying to figure out the approximate protein to fat ratio he should be getting. OMG it's been so long since I've had a puppy.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:36 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I think 4Health (and subsequently Diamond Naturals and Premium Edge) all have a lamb based puppy food. I know TOTW has their Sierra Mountain whatever puppy food that is lamb based as well.

But, if he's eating the Blue Seal food, doing well on it, and it's in your price range/easily accessible, I'd just stick with it!

Old 08-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Wookie Collie

The ingredient panel looks kind of gross, if I'm honest. It's not a horrid food by any means, but it's very meh. I'm sure you could find another chicken-free option that is similar-priced that's a bit better.

FYI, chicken fat is entirely unrelated to chicken protein, as far as allergies and intolerances are concerned. NEarly every dog I've come across with chicken issues have no issue with chicken fat in the food.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 08-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I wouldn't feed it, IMHO.

I saw a grain free food at Petco made by Merrick called Whole Earth Farms that has pork as the first ingredient. I think it was $35 for 30lbs:

Pork Meal, Dried Potatoes, Peas, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Sweet Potatoes, Beef, Natural Pork Flavor, Lamb, Yeast Culture, Organic Alfalfa Meal, Salt, Salmon Oil, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyroxidine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamin Mononitrate), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Dried Blueberries, Choline Chloride, Cinnamon, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product

http://www.feedgoodness.com/recipes/...-dry-dog-food/

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep