Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-18-2005, 09:04 AM
user not active

Quote:
=Doberluv
Love this post too! I agree. If someone breaks into my house, even though there are gnashing teeth and vicious snarling and barking on the other side of the door, I'm ready with my .38. LOL. I won't let anyone hurt my babies.

I didn't get a Doberman for the purpose of protection. I, for one live in a virtually no crime area....a resort area in the north Idaho wilderness. I don't even lock my door when I leave. I got my Doberman for many of their wonderful traits, one main one, being SILLY! Can you believe it? Yes sireeeee....Dobermans are notoriously goofy, dorky, playful, energetic, watchful and alert, so trainable, chalk full of character and personality, brains, atheletisism, which I love to watch. My Lyric is my pride and joy.

That makes me wonder, if your area is so crime free why do you need a revolver ?

People think guns make them safe, in most cases though an average person doesnt even know how to correctly hold the thing.

Also, where in this thread have I said that being silly with family is a bad thing? People here are so thick, you say something about a breed even if its a good thing and they try to get to your throat... Learn to take a compliment people...
Old 06-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriondw
Also silly was not used as a negative statement...
I think we've just run into one of those language speed bumps. Orion is using the word "silly" as in unsophisticated and playful.

People choose different dogs because they fill a personal desire or need. For some people, a clownish - and yes, silly - dog is a perfect fit, whether it's a silly Lab, Cocker, Doberman or mutt. Some want a dog with a serious, down to earth side, a more sober Lab, German Shepherd, Akita, etc. . . . You guys get the drift. There are as many different dog personalities as there are people personalities - and there's a place for all, well, errr, MOST of them. Nasty, ill tempered dogs aren't any more welcome than nasty, ill tempered people. Thankfully, there aren't as many of the dogs as there are people like that - and most of the dogs are much more willing to change their ways!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-18-2005, 09:31 AM
no touchy

Quote:
Yeah if he doesnt want any protection a silly lab would be good.
I read that as rude.

I don't want a serious dog, I want a mix of goofy and a mix of serious. Even my shepherd mix isn't serious. She rolls around in the grass and runs around like a nutball, it doesn't matter whether we're at home or at the park. And believe it or not, my lab isn't as hyper as most people think labs are. At times she acts like a goofy little puppy, but others she sits there and acts are serious and bold.

Quote:
Gaddy,

That's a great story. I know...they're incredible dogs. Bonnie would roll around in the snow when it was 30 below zero here. But then I made her come inside. LOL. The Dobe and Chi's certainly have to make it quick for their potty breaks when it's that cold. I don't have to tell them to hurry up. LOL.
They sure are . I told her to get out 'cause even though she's got a thick coat, that water must've been pretty cold.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:33 AM
no touchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriondw
Also, where in this thread have I said that being silly with family is a bad thing? People here are so thick, you say something about a breed even if its a good thing and they try to get to your throat... Learn to take a compliment people...
I read it as rude due to a few of your previous posts in other threads, that's all.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Top Dog

Me too Gaddy. It's not just this thread. I was married to a Czech who had just immigrated from Czechoslovakia for 21 years and I know about and can read language difference and where that can be used and not used as an excuse and I see too good of a command of the English language here.

Quote:
That makes me wonder, if your area is so crime free why do you need a revolver ?

People think guns make them safe, in most cases though an average person doesnt even know how to correctly hold the thing.
Well, I always have kept a few guns. There are black bears, Grizzly bears, cougars out in the wilderness where I hike and I wouldn't go in some of these areas without a gun. I grew up from a young teenager being trained by my avid, hunter Dad how to handle all kinds of guns. I'm a crack shot too, by the way, so don't lump me in with people who can't hold a gun.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Felurian

What we lose here is the idiom and inflection of words, guys. I've known people who were second and even third generation removed from their family's immigration to the U.S. and there are still subtle but vast differences that stem from their home cultures.

I've always found that a person's choice of dogs was a good clue to their psyche. Orion is very serious, but every now and then he loosens up and jokes, but sometimes it's hard to tell because he is a very serious person - like his dog. You'd have to know an Ovcharka to be sure it was playing rather than keeping everything under control

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

I think you are being kind, Renee. But, I think if this was the case, he would have admitted to his poor choice of wording.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:24 PM
user not active

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
I think you are being kind, Renee. But, I think if this was the case, he would have admitted to his poor choice of wording.
Should other people admit to their inability to understand the literally meaning of what I wrote?
Old 06-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Top Dog

No, I think I understand you only too well.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il

I've always found that a person's choice of dogs was a good clue to their psyche. Orion is very serious, but every now and then he loosens up and jokes, but sometimes it's hard to tell because he is a very serious person - like his dog. You'd have to know an Ovcharka to be sure it was playing rather than keeping everything under control

Interesting thought, What type of person picks pitbulls? Just looking to see what my choice tells you about my psyche...

Seriously, some people who pick some breeds do wish to live their life through their there dog. I am sorry to say that many who pick pitbulls are cowards who feel that they will be some how tougher if they have a "Pit". Now please no one on this board think I mean them, everyone I have read on this board that has Pitbulls are not the stereotype of the bad pitbull owner.

Since i started this thread I figure I can completely hijack it...lol