Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Puppy Dog

why dosent he want a guardian? hiking in the mountains can be very dangerous

Last edited by Bulloxer01; 06-17-2005 at 06:46 PM. Reason: You were already coorected
Old 06-17-2005, 06:45 PM
no touchy

Well, I read it as rude. "silly lab" sounds rude to me, a lab owner.

May isn't used to work, we don't go hunting. But just because she doesn't have a "job" doesn't mean she's not a good dog. She takes long daily walks, chases rabbits and squirrels, plays with her "sisters" and she's always there for me when I need a ball of fur to hug. Just because a dog doesn't have a "job" doesn't make them a bad dog. Breeds like bichon frises were bred to companions and lap dogs. Bichons for royalty.

Quote:
can handle frigid waters
I remember one time, when we were in the field with the girls, during the winter time. There is a creek right there. Well, the girls were tired after zooming around hunting for a while, and they were thirsty. We walke down by the frozen creek a little, and suddenly Mayberry walks down, breaks the ice and starts swimming in this freezing water. It was probably below zero in there.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

Grammy here ,Orion....I feel you owe Doberluv an apology ....and to the rest of us who own dogs that aren't in a lather to start something most of us deem unacceptable in a companion dog. Cool it !
Old 06-17-2005, 07:41 PM
user not active

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
Grammy here ,Orion....I feel you owe Doberluv an apology ....and to the rest of us who own dogs that aren't in a lather to start something most of us deem unacceptable in a companion dog. Cool it !

Its just my opinion about lap dogs. I have no problem with them, i just wouldnt own one and dont see a point in them

working dogs can be companions too you know

Besides people read in too much into the stuff I post, nothing I said here was meant to be negative.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Top Dog

No.... you put down her regards of labs.!
Old 06-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulloxer01
why dosent he want a guardian? hiking in the mountains can be very dangerous
Well he and I both feel that a dog who is your guardian is a loved one who can become injured. He has also told me that we doesn't want a dog that is aggressive in anyway shape or form. He is afraid of the legal ramifications.

To me, it is my job to defend the family not my pets. My dogs are silly, and I like them just like that. They do have a serious job though, they entertain me, provide me with companionship and teach my grandchildren compassion and empathy...... Silly oh yeah ...but not unimportant!

If my dog defended my stuff and got hurt I would be heart broken. If someone breaks into my house I wish my dog to go hide and stay safe. Let the burgalar steal the TV and leave my dog alive. Any serious criminal can kill a dog quickly. I can always replace my stuff but you can't replace a friend or family member....which is how I view my dogs. I have weapons at my disposal by which I defend myself and family members.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

I agree !!! If some one broke in here, he would bark his head off but wouldn't attack....he would warn me and hopefully I could save him from harm .
Old 06-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

Thanks Grammy.

The fact is, if one has a narrow or limited view of what usefulness is, and fails to look at the whole spectrum of life, one can call a lap dog a couch potato, silly, useless or any other adjective. But let me tell you that there are billions of people who depend on a dog to be just that, a companion. A companion fulfills peoples' psyche, their spirit, people who are depressed and lost find hope. Why else would there be therapy dogs? The same holds true for a companion dog; a poodle, (a respectable hunting dog too, btw) a Bishon, a Chihuahua and the many, many more dogs used for solely a companion dog.

You want to talk silly? I'll talk silly. My Doberman has a wonderful, correct, protective, working dogs' temperament. He's also very silly....goofy, playful, companionable. My Chihuahuas have bionic hearing and can hear something, often before my Dobe does. They are the early warning alarm. They are highly reactive and bark at things that they don't always need to worry about. Lyric, the Dobe watches and figures out what they're barking about. If he feels it's legit, he'll bark too, otherwise, he'll relax and they tend to settle down too when they see him relax. I have a real protective team going on here. LOL.

But the Chihuahuas can sit on my lap without cutting off my circulation like my Dobe does. They also eat less, easier to travel with, are great hiking company and entertain people with their circus - like antics. They're very agile and atheletic and quite sturdy.

Like I said, I had a Lab who was a companion. She didn't hunt for me, although she did for herself. (never got around to cooking up some stew with those rabbits she got) She was my companion on my horse rides and actually helped my green, nervous horse pass by scary things which the horse would refuse to go past, until she saw Bonnie go first.

But that's fine if someone wants a dog only because it can work. But it's illogical to poo poo the multitudes all over the world who choose a breed soley for companionship.

Gaddy,

That's a great story. I know...they're incredible dogs. Bonnie would roll around in the snow when it was 30 below zero here. But then I made her come inside. LOL. The Dobe and Chi's certainly have to make it quick for their potty breaks when it's that cold. I don't have to tell them to hurry up. LOL.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

I guess all my goldens have been " silly dogs" and I loved them for it ! Silly at Christmas getting their toys from under the tree, silly for bringing home baby raccoons who lost their moms, silly for wanting to go for walks in the woods and investicate the creek, silly to want to go to the grocery, silly to visit Nursing Homes, hospitals, disabled folks, silly for loving my kids and grandkids, silly for wanting to be near me and sleep with me, silly for loving a new stuffed toys, silly for greeting their "cousins" when they come to stay etc etc etc.....yes , you're right...I do own a "silly dog" and thank the dear Lord I do !
Old 06-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I do own a "silly dog" and thank the dear Lord I do !
I love your postGrammy. My sentiments exactly! What more important job is there?

Quote:
To me, it is my job to defend the family not my pets. My dogs are silly, and I like them just like that. They do have a serious job though, they entertain me, provide me with companionship and teach my grandchildren compassion and empathy...... Silly oh yeah ...but not unimportant!

If my dog defended my stuff and got hurt I would be heart broken. If someone breaks into my house I wish my dog to go hide and stay safe. Let the burgalar steal the TV and leave my dog alive.
Love this post too! I agree. If someone breaks into my house, even though there are gnashing teeth and vicious snarling and barking on the other side of the door, I'm ready with my .38. LOL. I won't let anyone hurt my babies.

I didn't get a Doberman for the purpose of protection. I, for one live in a virtually no crime area....a resort area in the north Idaho wilderness. I don't even lock my door when I leave. I got my Doberman for many of their wonderful traits, one main one, being SILLY! Can you believe it? Yes sireeeee....Dobermans are notoriously goofy, dorky, playful, energetic, watchful and alert, so trainable, chalk full of character and personality, brains, atheletisism, which I love to watch. My Lyric is my pride and joy.

All my dogs have been silly, my GSDs, Labs, mixes, Chihuahuas (oh boy, are they silly).
Hey....I just got an idea. I think all dogs, working or not are silly. They're always ready for a game, child like, innocent, loving, loyal. I think that's why we love them so much....most of us. They give soooooo much, just by being who they are, and I, for one, love and appreciate what my pet dogs have to give. They don't have to do more. They can just go on being silly.