Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 06-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Island dweller

Your female rabbit is just nesting. Unspayed females do that. They pull out their own hair and make a nest. My Mika does it. I'd love to have them spayed but there is no vet in the area that I trust.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Top Dog

Rabbits are one of the worst animals to raise. That was my 4h project for a while and I will never have another rabbit. It is not uncommon for the mother to eat or abandon her first litter. Thats what mine did and even though I got up constantly to feed them they lived to four weeks and died because they never got colostrum. I thought you were not supposed to keep males and females together because it stressed them. I know around here you never hear of fixing a rabbit so maybe thats why they say that. My last bunny died getitng a tumor removed from her neck. She was a sweetie but most people do buy them and then try to give them back or just let them go.

Most rabbits will attack you when you put your arm in their cage. Its just them being protective. I kept gloves next to my rabbit hutch thing.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Island dweller

Well, rabbits can be that way Joce but with training. socialization and plenty of exercise rabbits can be great pets. They are clean, easy to teach to use a litterbox and quiet the little characters when they are comfortable in their environment.

Steve used to let Niblet out while I was still asleep and he'd hope into bed with me and lick my face. He was so adorable.

Some breeds of rabbits are hardier than others. I know with Netherland Dwarfs the first litter is almost always stillborn and that sometimes the doe dies too. The males need to be separated from the females and the litter. I know that if the doe knows you and is comfortable in it's environment things go a lot easier - but that's just obvious. It's definitely not something to get into without doing your researching and making plans.

And altered bucks and does are much easier to bond than two does or two bucks (nearly impossible) as Mrose is learning.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Top Dog

Mine were great pets,just not in their cage, and they were not fun to breed and raise. I had a couple litter trained but the ones that were litter trained were the ones that chewed.The ones that I could trust to hop around for a while weren't litter trained. I really liked my last bunny but her neck lump thing grew and my poor parents spent a ton trying to fix her but it didn't work.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:23 PM
BusterLove

oh, sorry about taht.

well we wern't sure what willow was going to do so we gave her plenty of extra grass and paper to build a nest incase she was going to have herself a baby, but i checked her this morning and everything was all good.

Old 06-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Rusty but Trusty

That's good news. Baby rabbits, from what I have heard, can be a real HANDFUL. Especially if there were problems and the mother couldn't (or wouldn't) take care of them.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:05 AM
BusterLove

yeah, i suppose, she is still nesting so we are giving her some extra TLC.
is there a rason thistle isnt doing this aswell???

Old 06-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Are they both the same age? Maybe Thistle is younger and hasn't gotten the urge to nest yet.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Island dweller

Probably just different hormone levels because of age or body...
Old 06-18-2005, 09:19 AM
BusterLove

we think that they are the same age, they were about the same size when we got them but thislte hasn't seemed to grow as much as willow.