Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Default Mini almost died on friday!

A few days ago I finished a dog food change. Mini had a little loose stool, but was generally fine. On Friday I had to go into the city. Friday morning she had a tiny bit of bloody stool. Steve called the vet. She was happy and playful. A little later that she started throwing up and having diarrhea, which rapidly turned to blood. Steve promptly took her to the vet who ran a ton of blood work as she rapidly went downhill. He had started an iv, but didn't think she would make it. By this time blood was dripping from her rectum. He found nothing on the tests except hemoconcentration. Even the white count was normal. All this time he had been grilling Steve on whether she could have possibly gotten into some rat poison, but the hematrocrit would have been low, not high.

We thought maybe she had eaten one of my daughter's depakote pills, which she sometimes hides instead of taking, but that wouldn't have accounted for all the symptoms. We are grateful for that, Molly said if it was that, she would kill herself. I got back from the city, and when I ran into the vet's office he was flipping a book and came up with Hemorrhagic Enterocolitis. Evidently after a food change this sometimes happens, especially in young, small dogs. It is always fatal except with the prompt administration of iv fluids.

He wanted us to take her to the emergency vet for the weekend, but I convinced him to let us take her home with bags of fluid. I just thought that if all she needed was iv fluids and she might not make it anyway, she would be a lot more comfortable in her own home instead of a cage.

So we took her home with the fluids and a second iv kit just in case. I put her on a waterproof sheet padded with beach towels in the middle of our bed and hung the fluids from the ceiling fan.

Overnight she did ok. She stopped bleeding, finally, and started peeing. By morning she had run out of fluids and looked perkier. The vet called at eight-thirty and said to try her on fluids first and then to move to rice and chicken. We got her to take some chicken broth, and then the rice. By this morning she had regular dog food and was able to go out and play.

This afternoon she was ready to go for a hike on the mountain. Except for some residual diarrhea you would never know there was anything wrong with her. I am now optimistic, though I worry about organ damage. Knock wood she will continue to improve.

Has anyone ever heard of this? It was beyond scary, as I tried to look at a future of Uncle Fred without Mini. They just belong together and we love them.

I assume she will at the very least have digestive problems for some time as she regrows her intestinal epithelium.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Yorkie Love

Wow... this sounds scary... I have never heard of anything like this before and have changed dog foods more time then I can count...

I am so glad to hear that Mini is doing better and hope she continues to heal.

Keep us updated.

Elissa
Old 10-28-2007, 06:58 PM
I love my Sancho

WOW!! What an ordeal. I'm glad Mini made it out okay.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:01 PM
<--------Orson

OMG!

(((((((HUGS)))))))) to you and even more to poor little Mini! How scarey out of the blue like that
Old 10-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Felurian

WHOA! Never heard of anything like that either, and before Innova I switched dog foods all the time

It's a relief that Mini pulled through. We'll concentrate on her being back to her regular self in short order!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-28-2007, 07:25 PM
swimming upstream

wow--I am so glad to hear that she is doing ok!! This is a good thing to know about---so many people do change foods periodically. I sure hope she continues to improve.
Good to see you here again!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Twin 2.0

man I'm glad that Mini is ok!!! I've heard of HE before, have even taken a client's dog to the vet to get it checked. My vet said the same thing, except that he added that the females tend to get it easier than the males. So if you have a small female dog, keep an eye out. Younger needs a stricter eye.

Again, I am so glad that Mini pulled through!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Thanks for the support,. It was really horrible. My daughter and I cried all the way home on the train. I still feel a little cautious about saying everything looks Ok- but she looks good.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 10-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Taco Dog

So happy yours made it through! What a relief you must feel. I just lost my Chihuahua a little over a week ago to HGE (Hemmorhagic GastroEnteritis.) She had all the same symptoms. It was so sudden. And I read the same thing... Small breeds, especially toys, female and the ages of 2-4 years old.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 10-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Top Dog

How scary !!!! I'm so glad things are looking up !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/