Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Top Dog

Default Disapointing.

Im very disapointed in TOki. His a really good dog inside the house and comes when I call. But the moment he goes outside when I call him he runs away from me. I've tried it all. I yelled his name , I raise my voice high pitch but nicely, I 've lowered my voice and calm. He just runs away and I can't get him until I he gets distracted from smelling something. Any advice on how to train a yorkie to come when your outside. His really good at home. I take him out almost everyday so I don't think it's because I don't walk him enough.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Big Mutts

Have you tried giving him a treat or making a big fuss over him when he does come?
Old 06-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Top Dog

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...ecall+training

Here's a great, helpful bunch of info too:

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/dog.htm

Find one method which you like and don't flit around. Stick with one way for 3 or 4 weeks and be consistant. If you try something only a few times, then try another way, it will confuse your dog and he won't catch on. Use positive methods. With the recall, especailly, it's reward or nothing. Always motivate your dog to come to you. You and what you have to give has to be better than what the dog is interested in. Also, don't use a command you can't enforce. You dog will learn how to ignore you, which it sounds like he's getting a start. So, nip it in the bud. Good luck! Keep us posted.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Top Dog

We used to have the same problem. He would go outside and stay there 15 minutes before actually coming when we called him... We trained him more inside, with treats, and always gave him treats when he came to us outside. It took a month or two, but it worked, now he always comes when we call him. I think it just takes a lot of patience.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

I only do it once in a while because he doesn't always run out of the house. So should I let him loose outside of my house everyday? I tried it with treats before but he doesn't care about the treats when his out.
I tried letting him loose but I see crossing streets without looking. Thank god I live in a tiny neighboor hood with gates and we barely have any cars in our neighboor hood. Speed zone in our nighboor is like 20.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Top Dog

Well without a fence it's a problem for sure Do you keep him leashed? Have you tried just getting him to come to you when leashed outside? If you just sit on the ground with a treat or something, he will come eventually, then reward him etc. I just think it takes a lot of patience, like all the rest, just don't give up.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't let him off his leash ever, ever outside where there's a risk, even if small of getting hit by a car. What if he runs off further where there are more cars? When off leash, you have no control what so ever over whether he comes or not. Use a long line if you want him to be able to run around. Again, if you call him to come, and he doesn't come immediately (eventually is not good enough) then you can reel him in. I prefer to entice him with playful sounds, running a little the other way like you're having a marvelous time, and then treats. Use special treats. There's got to be something he likes. I use monzerella cheese or homemade liver treats. When he does come, praise him like you would not believe and give him a treat. Then let him play and run some more on his own. Repeat. When you do bring him inside, all the fun outside is over and that can also make him not want to come....naturally, so when you come inside, play some more for a while with a ball or toy...something he loves to do. Don't end the fun when you call him to come.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:37 AM
Top Dog

Toki responds to come when I have him on leash. His just a smart one. He knows when his off leash he will run and run. Im just worried because the past couple of days someone in my house has been leaving the garage door open and I noticed that he ran outside and he won't come so I just want to train him to come instead of me chasing him and you just never know what will happen. But I will try to train him to come and try to have fun instead of going inside home. Man that's going to take alot of patience to see him walk inside the house by himself. hehe He can stay out for 30 min and still not want to come inside.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:38 AM
Top Dog

The strange thing is that sometimes he will listen to me to come inside but most of the time he doesn't respond to me. He never leaves my sight if I let him off leash to an area were his never been to but I don't know that because I've only done that at the dog beach and dog park.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

Keep three things mainly in mind:

1)Don't give a command you can't enforce.

2)Only give a command ONE TIME. Do not repeat yourself. He heard you the first time. Otherwize he's ignoring you and the command becomes a string of the same word. come come come come come....sit sit sit sit sit. You don't want that.

3)Make coming to you or in the house better, more fun than whatever it is which is keeping him from wanting to come.

The other thing, even though he knows when he's on the leash, and of course, will come, because he knows he has no choice, if he HAS to come every single, solitary time, never once getting away with disobeying, it will become habit to him to come as long as he's motivated and rewarded heavily for coming. It needs to become habit and then it WILL get to be as though he has no other choice.

I've done it this way with my Doberman and he is very, very reliable....not 100% but darn close.