Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Top Dog

Smile Dobermans in Therapy

This article is touching. How wonderful these therapy dogs are, how they change the lives of people with such a difficult load.

Down a ways in the article is mentioned a particular ***** named Onyx and also mentioned are some of her off spring. Repo Man is mentioned and he happens to be my Lyric's grand dad.

Take a look at this heartwarming story.

http://www.uniteddobermanclub.com/breed/therapy.html
Old 06-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

LOL....it automatically edited out the proper word for a female dog with ****. How funny!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Top Dog

This is so great!! My goal with my mastiff/wolfhound pup is to get to the point where he can do pet therapy some day. I think he has the heart for it. We will see! I love to read these stories. Dogs are miracle workers on so many different levels
Old 06-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Felurian

My Bear, a rescued German Shepherd/Akita, was certified as an animal therapist through the University of Tennessee-Knoxville, as was my big blue cat, Gonzo. It was humbling to watch what they could bring out in people, especially the kids in the runaway shelters.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

I have always wanted to do nursing homes. Something breaks my heart about nursing homes. I think a dog in a nursing home, even for a small time here and there brings something new and fresh and brightens the day. My father in-law just came back from a trip where he ended up visiting a nursing home in a convent. He went with his brother who brought along his dogs. The nuns asked if he would bring the dogs in and they did. There was a very sick nun who was so weak that she could not open her eyes, needless to say, after touching the dog, her eyes opened!! Dogs are the best My biggest fear is not growing old, but growing old without a dog, or being so helpless that I could not care for a dog. I know that bringing dogs into nursing homes helps these people enjoy the gifts pets have to offer and it helps them look back on the happy memories they have of their past dogs.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Felurian

On one of Bear's favorite walks we went by a nursing home. If the weather was nice there were always several people sitting out on the big front porch. I'd walk Bear up and they would all have a nice visit. They all loved him; he brought out so many memories of dogs from their youth. One of the nurses told me once that she could always tell when Bear had been by on one of his walks. The people who had been out on the porch and had spent some time with him were all more animated and happier and more cooperative afterward. She said they seemed to sleep better too.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Top Dog

Believe me, nothing is more rewarding !!! My Bubba was the best....He was newly certified with TDI when my Tom was in the hospital. Our local hospital at that time had no animals policy. I knew Tom wanted to see Bubba so took my chances. I had just gotten off on the cardiac floor when a doctor came up to me....geeeeeze, here we go I thought ! She said , excuse me but is that a therapy dog ??? Yes, I said. she answered , well when you visit your patient, would you mind visiting........and she named off 5 rooms!!! Needless to say we did. Beside the hospital we monthly visited 2 nursing homes , two adult day care services, a place for mentally challenged adults ,& special needs children. He was the best !!!! Chip is also certified,,, but not his Daddy. I started taking Bubby at a young age even before his TDI to some places....Chip was 3 when I got him back. Some smells etc bother him. Bless the Bubba's of the world.!
Old 06-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Felurian

Grammy, you'd have loved watching my big blue Gonzo-cat work the room. I used to describe it as him "doing laps" around the room. Those kids' faces would just light up when he'd jump up in their laps and start that big motor of his and bump his head up against their chins.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Top Dog

It's so rewarding!
Old 06-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

I love it that some of you are into this with your dogs. I love hearing the stories. It must be terribly rewarding. I sometimes wonder if Lyric would be any good at that. He does like people, but only after he has a few moments to size them up. He is a tad suspicious of strangers, but that is in keeping with correct Doberman temperament. They do vary quite a bit and some are much better with that sort of thing. But I can see how neat it would be.