Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Salty Sea Dog

Default kitten or sugar glider or rat? or all?! *blinks*

I have wanted a sugar glider (or pair) for years now, i have a setup that will easily work and the means to build a huge play aviery for the real fun times, but i also miss my ratties...and have the cage left form my past ratties...

and now im getting my own apt finnihsed up and getting ready to move in before the new years id realy love a cat...

gah, desicions

LOL!

no worries this wont be untill after my apts finnished im moved in and have steady income comming in...but hey...better get ahead right.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 10-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Yorkie Love

I would go with a cat... but it is all a matter of personal preference.

I LOVE cats and dont think I could ever be without one (or 3!, lol)

The stereotype of cats isnt always true... when I got my kitten in college... she was my only pet at school, so she became like a dog... when I got home she would greet me at the door and lick my face (yes a cat!)... so they really are great creatures.

Good Luck with your decision.

Elissa
Old 10-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Salty Sea Dog

lol, thanks, i worry with cats because my parents cat was supposed to be mine, i found him at 3 weeks old, bottle fed him and reared him myself...now if i even look at him funny he hisses and claws at me...so much for a thank you right? he loves my sister and my mother so kinda adopted them...but for whaever reason he simply hates me, i worry if i get a kitten itll end up the same way...

Old 10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
lol, thanks, i worry with cats because my parents cat was supposed to be mine, i found him at 3 weeks old, bottle fed him and reared him myself...now if i even look at him funny he hisses and claws at me...so much for a thank you right? he loves my sister and my mother so kinda adopted them...but for whaever reason he simply hates me, i worry if i get a kitten itll end up the same way...
haha... cats do have a way of doing whatever they want and often have attitudes on them... lol.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Goober is currently my only animal. He's a kitty and I wouldn't trade him for the world. Cats definitely have their personalities... personally I prefer males because with my experience the male cats I've been around have been more sociable and people affectionate. That's not always the case though. I would opt for a cat though. Although, sugar gliders are oh so cute. I used to have a rat and love ratties too... but hmmm I'd still say a kitty.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

Having as many cats as I do, not one has the same personality lol. One of them for example, his name is Jack. I rescued his mother off the streets when she was due any day. I held him, loved him, played with him since he was a newborn...And he still hates me. He hates people actually. Hes a dilute calico...Most calicos I met tend to be that way. And then my newest addition, Jade, she came from the streets. Shes a dilute tortoiseshell and is the sweetest cat! Shes my shadow.

If your looking for less of a lifetime commitment, I would go with rats .I love them to bits, They are the greatest little critters. I will NEVER be ratless. I do rodent rescue, so always have a bunch of rats in. I prefer male rats over female, they tend to bond better, and like being pet and kissed. Big squishy man rats are the best

Never had SGs and can;t anyway, they are illegal to own in California.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Yorkie Love

Not to hijack your thread... but can someone tell me a little about sugargliders... like are they rodents? can they be trained? anything else relevant..

Have always wondered... thanks.

Elissa
Old 10-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Salty Sea Dog

sugar gliders are marsupials, they are pouch animals.

i know a few gliders who "play fetch" (chase a peice of yarn and bring it back) or come when called, but thats realy the extent of their "tricks" while im sure there smart there definatly nothing as close to as trainable as rats.

they are VERY social. they must be kept in pairs if at all possible as they bond very strongly, and they tend to bond very strongly with their people if properly raised, most people wear a small pouch just inside their shirt or bra that is called a bonding pouch. the suggie spends most of its day curled up inside and becomes used to its humans scent.
however they dont seem to bond like dogs do...to a suggie your essentially a walking tree, a place of security. they will return to you once bonded for saftey...

they eat insects and nectars as their primary diet and should be suplimented with fruits, baby food ect.

they are also noctournal.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Yorkie Love

Wow... thanks soo much... I have heard people talk about them on here a few times and always wondered about them.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Active Pup

A rat all the way!
I'm not really big on cats. I have too many other animals (birds, lizards, etc.) that just wouldn't mesh with a cat anyway.

I do have sugargliders and I love them and will probably always have a few. That being said, I would not recommend them to anyone. They require a lot of work and tons of research. They have dietary needs that we are still learning about. There is no easy fix for making them dinner. They are expensive and finding a vet that is experianced in their care is hard. It takes a while to get them to bond and the bond can easily be lost if you stop working at it. They aren't really trainable, the goal in bonding is to have them not be afraid of you and to recognize you as a 'home base' during play. They can't be potty trained and unaltered males stink.
On the plus side, they are really cute. They are fun to watch and you can play with them using feathered cat toys.

I have owned a rat and I loved him! He was playful, knew several commands, clean, and loving. I lived in an apartment at the time and it was nice that he didn't take up too much room and was litter box trained. I would come home from work and Stench (the rat) would come tearing out of his room to say hi. I've never had a cat do that.