Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 06-14-2005, 06:51 PM
BusterLove

Default thankfully, our rabbits can stay... and now thw question

ok, we ave decided not to move, but that gets me stuck... i dont want to get suck at this school for my seniour years
anyway,
so willow is VERY PROTECTIVE OF HER CAGE SHE BIT ME LAST Night again
and thistle is the complete opposite... very timimd. but just lvely. And i was wondering, should i save up and gt her desexed? or should i save a bucks life (do they tend to keep rabbits at the pound) and breed her, as long as all the babies have already been guarenteed to GOOD homes. If they do have a lot of rabbits at the pound i don't think i will breed her.
i asked mum this morning and told her that if we do breed them and cant find homes, we have to be willing to take them back. whats your opinion, please keep in mind... not many people own snakes here, not many people own rabbits, there are not a lot of people, we have no shelter

Old 06-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Island dweller

Please do NOT breed them. After dogs and cats rabbits are the most abandoned pets and the thing is that people think that house rabbits can just survive in the wild so they set them free but that is NOT true. There are way too many.

Not only that but your rabbits will just have more hormones and it won't help the problem at all. You should get them altered. That's the best decision.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:35 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

the people behind us when i lived in the apartment complex had rabbits they had let run "wild" in their yard. I discovered this the first time i took a dead baby rabbit out of a cat's mouth and realized it was not wild..then another and another./ I finally caught one that was still alive and found out where it came from. Why bring something into this world that has little chance of survival..or little chance of a home. It is always the babies that suffer for their caretakers bad decisions. spay and neuter

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat
Old 06-14-2005, 10:04 PM
BusterLove

but if i could find good homes, before she even got pregnant, maybe i could save a bucks life aswell, do u know if the pund keeps rabbits???

Old 06-14-2005, 10:04 PM
BusterLove

but if i could find good homes, before she even got pregnant, maybe i could save a bucks life aswell, do u know if the pound keeps rabbits???

Old 06-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Island dweller

You would really not be saving any lives. Most people who get rabbits don't know what to expect and get rid of them. Look at all of the problems and questions you have had!! You could get bucks if you wanted but it's very difficult to bond rabbits even after they get fixed and once the relationship is ruined it can rarely be recovered. Altered house rabbits can live to be 8 to 12 years old but unaltered rabbits have a very short life. They are very susceptible to cancers.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Definetely spay your rabbit. I had a few rabbits in my time (the last two I got while with my husband) and unfortunetely I have to say that we gave them to his friend from work for his daughter. Even people that have the best of intentions and do a whole heck of a lot of research don't really know what they are getting into with a rabbit. I researched rabbits for six months before we got our two rabbits and I was still dumbfounded when I got them home. Most people think they will be like cuddly puppies and kitties and don't realize the patience and all the training that goes along with a rabbit. Why can't you save a buck regardless of if you get your rabbit fixed? If your parents are willing to let you get a buck in order to breed why wouldn't they let you get one just for a pet?
Old 06-15-2005, 07:23 AM
BusterLove

i doubt they will, but... what are the signs a rabbit is pregnant, willow seems to keep making nests and sitting around with her tail right up, maybe she is just on heat but she has been very protective lately, we got a vet to check that they were both girld but could he have been wrong/???

ok, i will spay thistle. she is more important. How much does it cost, mum wants me to pay for it myself.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:24 AM
BusterLove

but i see your point, i had no idea what i got into with these rabbits, but i will stick it out, they are still my pets and i still have to care for her

Old 06-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Rusty but Trusty

I think it's sort of hard to be mistaken. I don't know though. I'm not sure what the signs of them being pregnant are I've never had that kind of problem with our they were always housed seperately and I only let them play together when I could watch and supervise them.