Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 10-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Question Cat heat cycles??

At what age do cats/kittens go into heat? Since finding Roxy and determining she is about 6-7 months I'm not sure if she was already in heat or if she maybe going at any time now? She goes back to the vets for a re-check tonight on her wounds and we are hoping to get her spayed within the next couple of weeks. Where she was stray and the not knowing her history we obviously don't know if she has had any shots so she needs to get up to date before they spay her. I know about dogs cycles but never owned a kitten this old that was never fixed so I am curious. Thanks guys
Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Top Dog

They can go into heat around six months, occasionally earlier. They also go into heat as often as every two weeks.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:34 AM
BusterLove

every 2 weeks? wow... gross question but do they bleed?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
every 2 weeks? wow... gross question but do they bleed?
I'm not sure . . . I've heard they rub their butts up against furniture trying to get "relief", though.

Also, they can become pregnant with Litter #2 while still nursing Litter #1. Cat overpopulation is a big problem, as you can imagine!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Top Dog

Alot of times they will go out of heat(after an extremely long and annoying time where they yowl and try to breed with everything that touches them, while outside all of the neighborhood toms gather outside the windows and yowl back at her) and then go back into heat almost immediatly. If she is 6 or 7 months old and not spayed, I would have the vet check for pregnancy. You can still get her spayed if she is pregnant, but it will cost more.

No they don't bleed like dogs do.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

I have had females go into heat as early as 4 1/2 months. I would be worried she were pregnant, and get her checked out by a vet for that. I try and get all kittens spayed when they are 2-3 pounds, and when they are still very young. And I noticed when I do that the males don't spray (I have neutered males who still spray because they were neutered after 6 months).
Old 10-24-2007, 06:52 PM
BusterLove

oh god, no interest in every have an entire cat.
Panda was an oops litter, his mum got out on heat, from what I remeber it was not easy to keep her in as is. SHe gave me one kitten and my brothers GF another one, which I suppose isn't bad, if I hadn't got Panda I wouldve gone to a pet shop so hey.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101 View Post
I have had females go into heat as early as 4 1/2 months. I would be worried she were pregnant, and get her checked out by a vet for that. I try and get all kittens spayed when they are 2-3 pounds, and when they are still very young. And I noticed when I do that the males don't spray (I have neutered males who still spray because they were neutered after 6 months).
I'm a big fan of pediatric spay/neutering as well. My kitty boys were done at eight weeks and have never sprayed. It also makes the smell of male cat urine less rank . . . It can be quite smelly otherwise!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Top Dog

My females came in very young and I didn't even know she was in heat !! She was an inside/outside country cat so had a litter very young ...... then spayed .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

Cats usually don't go into heat until around 6 months but CAN go into heat much sooner, even around 4 months old. Being a little older, I would be worried she might be pregnant. I would have her spayed anyways since besides being much too young to have babies, who knows the health of the male she mated with. Also a cat doesn't need to be UTD on shots to be spayed, I don't even see how that would make any difference...

Oh another thing to remember, cats don't have to be in heat to get pregnant! They are induced so they can get pregnant at ANY time.

Good luck and great job taking her in!