Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 06-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Top Dog

Default does anyone have a parrot??

i would like to get an african grey or amazon parrot, in future. just wanted some info which parrot is a good "starter" parrot, for beginners. i will do a lot of research, but any advice will be helpful. thanks
Old 06-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Rusty but Trusty

We have been thinking about getting a parrot as well, in a few years after our daughter and the future child we are planning are in school. I have been doing research and lovebirds are good starter parrots. You don't need to buy two, either. They bond better with you if you just buy one. They can learn to talk and whistle and everything and have all the qualities of a larger parrot. Are you set on getting a larger parrot or would a smaller parrot be an option for you as well?
Old 06-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

i want a talking one.lol medium sized i would say. anything smaller than a macaw, cus i have children, ages 2, 6, 10. so i thought of an amazon....do u think they would get along with the dog(s)???
Old 06-13-2005, 08:49 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I had an amazon..blue crowned that was my heart bird..oh i loved him so much and he was so smart..i had him from the time he had pin feathers..the amazons will always be special to me..they are so loving! He not only got along with the dog but would grab the cat by the tail and drag him across the table top. My ex had one tho that was very possessive and jealous of me and didn't want me anywhere near him..I would wonder if while your children are so small that you might want to wait a bit. Parrots are very much one person birds..they form very strong bonds and do not like a lot of chaos around them..no bird does plus a bite from a parrot is something to take seriously.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat
Old 06-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Cockatiels are great starter Birds . My cockatiel i own now Scooter is my first parrot and I could'nt be happier with him. Male Cockatiels are more of talkers then females. My cockatiel just turned 1 year old the other day.
A list of words he can say
Hey Baby
Kitty Kitty
Hello
Hello Scooter
Morning Scooter
Chippie
and a few others

He can also whistle numerouse songs lol

Theor really sweet birds and don't stink though they are messy with their food. Scooter takes showers with me.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 06-13-2005, 08:54 PM
no touchy

My sister has an African Grey named Janie and had a Quaker Parrot named Picasso. Picasso was a pretty laid-back little guy. When we first got him, he didn't like being held, and would bite, but we trained him to be gentle and to sit on our shoulders (he absolutely loved grooming people). Janie has always been a bit of a brat. She quickly learned that biting people and then yelling, "NO! BAD BIRD!" was fun, and she would take any chance to do it.

Both Quakers and Greys are on the top ten talkers list. Janie talks a lot, but Picasso was never much of a talker. You might want to rethink getting a grey...Abbie, my sister who owns Janie, says that when she couldn't spend a lot of time with Janie a few years ago, she would mumble for half an hour at night..."Stupid Abbie! Stupid, stupid Abbie!"

Birds can learn bad manners like it's nobody's business. They can learn them very quickly, believe me, I've seen it, LOL, in my own birdies.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:47 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4Pits
Cockatiels are great starter Birds . My cockatiel i own now Scooter is my first parrot and I could'nt be happier with him. Male Cockatiels are more of talkers then females. My cockatiel just turned 1 year old the other day.
A list of words he can say
Hey Baby
Kitty Kitty
Hello
Hello Scooter
Morning Scooter
Chippie
and a few others

He can also whistle numerouse songs lol

Theor really sweet birds and don't stink though they are messy with their food. Scooter takes showers with me.
did u get him from a breeder???
Old 06-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Yes i actually got him from my friends Brother inlaw who breeds and raises Cockatiels. I Paid $120 for him. He's a Lutino which means he is white with yellow points and his cheeks are bright red.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie