Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Top Dog

Those would both be good grain free choices. You might want to get some samples. Kai totally turned his nose up at Barking at the Moon. I did have him on Evo for a little while though.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumhouse View Post
What do you think about frozen raw diets?
Depends on the brand. Nature's Variety, Oma's Pride, and a few others are pretty good. You miss the whole benefit of raw meaty bones, though.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

In the kibble fed pic, he's 1 year old. In the second pic, he's 1.5, and the last two were taken on his 2 year old birthday.

I've never tried the frozen raw, but I think there are a few people who use them on the forum. I kind of think it's over priced. Plus, as Herschel mentioned, you miss out on the benefits of feeding raw meaty bones. I also like to know exactly what I'm feeding and where it came from. If you post on the food forum, some people who use the frozen patties might be able to give you more feedback.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
Depends on the brand. Nature's Variety, Oma's Pride, and a few others are pretty good. You miss the whole benefit of raw meaty bones, though.
I'm sort of new to all of this. What do you mean by that?
Old 10-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

Chewing meaty bones keeps the teeth clean. Another benefit I forgot to mention.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Show Dog

Thanks guys for your input. I'm still mulling this around. I'll keep you posted though. I really hate to switch his food again. I'm leaning towards introducing raw - chicken first. I'll let you know how he does.

Kim
Old 10-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumhouse View Post
Thanks guys for your input. I'm still mulling this around. I'll keep you posted though. I really hate to switch his food again. I'm leaning towards introducing raw - chicken first. I'll let you know how he does.

Kim
http://www.rawlearning.com
http://www.rawfed.com
Old 10-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Top Dog

While I do think a diet with a lot of RMB is ideal, I do a lot of the prepared frozen raw. I simply haven't taken the time to find good local sources that I trust to get the bones at a decent price. I do at least one or two RMB meals a week, but most of the rest is frozen.

I try to support two different local stores, because both are owned by friends, so I rotate between the brands they feed. I do some Nature's Variety and some Primal. Meg wouldn't touch the Oma's - the only raw she has turned down.

Yes, it is a bit more expensive than homemade raw, but for my one smallish dog, it is still very reasonable. It is also tough to beat for convenience.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Show Dog

Thanks Boston Banker.

I have looked into frozen but I think it is out of my price range. It seems like a nice option though. It's sort of like take out versus home cooked though like when I feed the rest of my family. Take out is nice for a treat or if there are time limitations, but home cooked goes further for us (a family of five plus the dog )

I am interested to know what you mean by "good local sources" for your RMB. Can't you just buy where you buy your own meat? At the grocery store or butcher?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

I think your dog's condition looks great, personally. His coat is beautiful which is a sign he is thriving on his current diet.

Raw is definitely a great option or have you considered feeding a canned only diet? Does your dog like canned food? Sometimes canned will entice the dog just enough to eat their kibble or it's great to feed canned alone.