Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Show Dog

Unhappy Colt's scrawny, not gaining weight!!

Hi everybody,

Colt is now16 months old and weighs 18-19 lbs. The vet has been concerned since his 1 year check up that he is underweight (you can feel his spine and tail bones!!). He is a poor eater and often picks. He could go a day with no food at all. Currently, he is on Merrick Puppy Plate. He was on Canidae ALS for a long time, and then, at the request of the vet, I began to look for something else. He doesn't seem to like anything more than the other. This past week, a bile acid test was done to check for a liver shunt. Thankfully, it was negative. My vet is suggesting I try Eukanuba Low Residue or Hill's ID. Thanks to you guys, I know better and am turning to you for advice.

What can I do to help him gain weight? Could it be that he just has a high metabolism? He seems fine in every other respect.

Thanks,
Kim
Old 10-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

Welcome back.

Why did the vet request that you switch off of Canidae? Since he is recommending that you buy "special veterinary diets", it almost sounds like he is trying to make some money. (That stuff is expensive)

Have you tried grain-free (high protein, high fat)?
How many times a day do you feed him?
Does he get enough exercise (a lot of dogs won't eat unless they exercise)?

I really hope that no one recommends Satin Balls. They are used for short-term, temporary weight gain. I believe you are looking for something more permanent.

By the way, that weight is just right for a Sheltie. A lot of times people think dogs are underweight when they are actually in perfect shape. You should be able to feel his spine and tail bones! (You shouldn't be able to see them)
Old 10-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Show Dog

Thanks Herschel.

I really need to leave this vet!! I haven't felt good about her since day one but my entire family has used her forever!! This is just another nail in her coffin. I really didn't believe it was a liver problem and $273 later I was right. Colt did just as well on Canidae as anything else. I should follow my instincts. Yes, recommending Eukanuba and Hill's is a definite red flag.

It's hard to tell with Colt because he has quite a bit of fur, but I don't think you can see any bones, just feel.

I free feed Colt for this very reason. I used to feed him twice a day and it was no better, no worse. I figured if I left it down all of the time it may help.
Colt is VERY active and high strung - a real nut!! He isn't on a farm herding sheep or anything but I have three children and he is always running around - in or out - with somebody or going on a walk several times a day. He should be hungry. He wants our food. I know if I gave him a plate of london broil and a baked potato he would eat every last drop!! Once a week I make him two scrambled eggs. If I mix them in with his food he eats everything!!

I welcome your suggestions on grain free. I don't know what this is and suspect Colt may do well on a raw diet also but have absolutely no idea how to go about this and think it may be more than I can handle.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumhouse View Post
Thanks Herschel.

I really need to leave this vet!! I haven't felt good about her since day one but my entire family has used her forever!! This is just another nail in her coffin. I really didn't believe it was a liver problem and $273 later I was right. Colt did just as well on Canidae as anything else. I should follow my instincts. Yes, recommending Eukanuba and Hill's is a definite red flag.

It's hard to tell with Colt because he has quite a bit of fur, but I don't think you can see any bones, just feel.

I free feed Colt for this very reason. I used to feed him twice a day and it was no better, no worse. I figured if I left it down all of the time it may help.
Colt is VERY active and high strung - a real nut!! He isn't on a farm herding sheep or anything but I have three children and he is always running around - in or out - with somebody or going on a walk several times a day. He should be hungry. He wants our food. I know if I gave him a plate of london broil and a baked potato he would eat every last drop!! Once a week I make him two scrambled eggs. If I mix them in with his food he eats everything!!

I welcome your suggestions on grain free. I don't know what this is and suspect Colt may do well on a raw diet also but have absolutely no idea how to go about this and think it may be more than I can handle.
Do you have any photos? It sounds like he is in great shape. You would be surprised at how little he needs to eat. Herschel (terrier mix) eats 2/3 cup per day and he is high energy/very active. I think Beanie's Auggie (Sheltie) is the same as Colt--eats very little but stays healthy and active.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Top Dog

My Sheltie was very similar. He was a horribly picky eater on kibble. When we got him, he was about 4 lbs underweight. He also had a lot of digestive issues.

We switched him to raw and the difference is huge! He's the perfect weight, has a beautiful coat, no smell, bright eyes, etc. He's never once turned his nose up at a raw meal either.

If you want details on how to start a raw diet, send me a pm. I'd be happy to help you out. It's actually quite easy to do.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Show Dog

Here are some pictures I just took today...

Tell me more about grain free.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grain_free
Old 10-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

I pm'd you some info.

Oh, just to give you an idea of the change in my dog.

Kibble fed:

Raw fed:

Old 10-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Show Dog

Hmmm. I always thought lower carbs led to weight loss?

What do you think about Evo Red Meat or Solid Gold Barking at the Moon? I know I can get both of those at the Pet Store I go to.

I try to avoid food with turkey in it. I don't think turkey agrees with him.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Show Dog

Melissa,
How old is your dog now? I definitely see the difference. Prior to raw his build looks very similar to Colt.

What do you think about frozen raw diets?