Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Herschel Herschel is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: East Central Illinois
Posts: 3,303
Default People from Foreign Countries

There are a decent number of regulars on here that are from industrialized countries outside of North America (Western Europe, Australia). Typically, they share the same value system as most of us. They understand proper nutrition, veterinary care, and even know some of the brand names that we mention. It is great that Chaz has such a far reach.

However, we also get the occasional poster from a developing country or another country with an entirely different attitude towards animals. These people make the effort to come on an internet forum to either share their experience or seek help for their dog. From what I've seen, we all-knowing Chazhound members chastise them for not taking better care of their pets. We tell them to drive to the emergency vet, feed Innova EVO, or re-home their dog to a no-kill rescue. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't have access to any of these things.

I think we should try to give more credit to people that come on here looking for help, especially those in the Health section. There was a recent poster that was looking to confirm that his veterinary treatment would work and instead of anything useful, people told him that his post was SPAM or that he should go to the emergency vet. Turns out, the guy was trying his best and people didn't even give him a chance.

It isn't always obvious that posters are from another country, so here is a short list of indicators that I can think of (keep in mind this does not mean that the person is definitely from another country, but it doesn't hurt to ask):

-"I feed my dog biscuits" - This is completely different than the cookies we use as treats.

-"The vet prescribes tabs _______" - Tabs isn't a term that is typically used in North America, so if you see this ask where the poster is from.

-Several posts are made at between 3:00 and 5:00 a.m. I know some of us stay up late or wake up early, but for a first time poster this usually indicates they are from a foreign country.

-"I chain my dog to the house while I am gone." - Hard to swallow, but it's a heck of a lot better than the dog running through traffic.

-"My doggy likes chocolate!" - Believe it or not, people in other countries feed their dogs milk chocolate all the time.

-"The dog eats whatever we eat." - That happens in the US, too, but is very common in foreign countries.

-"I give my puppy one bowl of milk..." - Yes, people might give their growing puppies milk instead of Innova EVO super grain-free high protein raw diet ultra food.

That is all I can think of for now. Please feel free to add to this list if you think of anything. I know this thread isn't as fun as some of the others but I hope that people might think twice before bashing the next poster. It's one thing to slam someone that shares your values/culture for not acting the way that you would, but can you really impose your beliefs on someone 10,000 miles away?

Last edited by Herschel; 10-20-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-20-2007, 09:56 AM
GSDBulldog GSDBulldog is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21
Default

Great post!
__________________
Don't drink the Kool-Aid
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Herschel Herschel is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: East Central Illinois
Posts: 3,303
Default

bump...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Jean Luc Picardy's Avatar
Jean Luc Picardy Jean Luc Picardy is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 44
Default

I tried very very hard not to reply to this.....but apparently I'm weak.

I can't speak for others here but I for one have been to every continent except Africa, spent a week in India, have seen feral dogs in places as far flung as mexico, Indonesia and yes even Canada! Yes, values and customs are different but a medical emergency is a medical emergency no matter where you are. A dog will die from rabies just as fast in the middle of the Congo or in downtown toronto and nobody on a message board in the great unwashed vastness that is the internet can do a darn thing about it.

Maybe some of the posters found it difficult to offer anything "useful" as you put it, because the answer was extremely obvious or because nobody knew how to fix such an issue with duct tape and some baling wire.

I find your post not only condescending to the members here but also to the original poster. Oh and especially to those unfortunate poor and destitute know-nothings in those God-forsaken "foreign countries"

Anyway, this is simply my opinion and I haven't been here long so perhaps I should've kept my mouth shut, but as i said..I'm weak.

bumping your own thread? nice

btw..does this mean anything ? http://chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53052
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-20-2007, 04:22 PM
houndlove's Avatar
houndlove houndlove is offline
coonhound crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 711
Default

I have to say that unless someone has on their profile or states in their post what country they are in, it's kind of hard to know whether or not to respond in a way that assumes there are the kind of resources and facilities that I'm familiar with or not. People in this country despite the resources we have, do neglect their dogs so it's not like if I see someone talking about something I'd consider neglectful I'm going to automatically think, "Oh they must be from a different country." And I don't like to assume just based on names or their apparent grasp of English because lots of people with lots of various ethnic backgrounds live in the US and Western Europe and I can see someone getting pretty darn offended if it was assumed they were living in a country they don't in fact live in just because of their name.

Given that this is a U.S.-based board where the language is English, I really wish that if someone is posting from a country where the standards of care for dogs and the resources are very different from here would just say so so everyone can be of more help. Just inspecting time stamps on posts is of limited utility because so many members are in Australia and New Zealand.
__________________
Cressida and her best friends:

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Herschel Herschel is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: East Central Illinois
Posts: 3,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Picardy View Post
I can't speak for others here but I for one have been to every continent except Africa, spent a week in India, have seen feral dogs in places as far flung as mexico, Indonesia and yes even Canada! Yes, values and customs are different but a medical emergency is a medical emergency no matter where you are. A dog will die from rabies just as fast in the middle of the Congo or in downtown toronto and nobody on a message board in the great unwashed vastness that is the internet can do a darn thing about it.
A medical emergency is a medical emergency, but access to care isn't the same. Not only is access completely different, routines and customs are different as well. Do most dog owners in developing countries take their dogs to the vet for shots, spay/neuter/, regular check-ups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Picardy View Post
Maybe some of the posters found it difficult to offer anything "useful" as you put it, because the answer was extremely obvious or because nobody knew how to fix such an issue with duct tape and some baling wire.
The fact that you think the answers are "extremely obvious" is the reason that I made this post. The answers are obvious TO US, but not necessarily to someone with a completely different set of values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Picardy View Post
Oh and especially to those unfortunate poor and destitute know-nothings in those God-forsaken "foreign countries"
Yeah, I'm one of them. A**hole.

It's a matter of culture and belief-systems. If you haven't figured that out already then there is no sense in me explaining it again. "Right and wrong" to us are completely different than "right and wrong" to different cultures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Picardy View Post
Anyway, this is simply my opinion and I haven't been here long so perhaps I should've kept my mouth shut, but as i said..I'm weak.

bumping your own thread? nice
I have been here for a while, and unfortunately, I've noticed that people typically stay away from threads like this. What is so wrong with a bump for visibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Picardy View Post
Not really. There was another post there of a guy advertising his e-book or his website. He posted it in just about every training thread. I reported it to clean up the threads and to prevent people from getting roped into scams. Nice work, Sherlock.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Herschel Herschel is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: East Central Illinois
Posts: 3,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndlove View Post
I have to say that unless someone has on their profile or states in their post what country they are in, it's kind of hard to know whether or not to respond in a way that assumes there are the kind of resources and facilities that I'm familiar with or not. People in this country despite the resources we have, do neglect their dogs so it's not like if I see someone talking about something I'd consider neglectful I'm going to automatically think, "Oh they must be from a different country." And I don't like to assume just based on names or their apparent grasp of English because lots of people with lots of various ethnic backgrounds live in the US and Western Europe and I can see someone getting pretty darn offended if it was assumed they were living in a country they don't in fact live in just because of their name.

Given that this is a U.S.-based board where the language is English, I really wish that if someone is posting from a country where the standards of care for dogs and the resources are very different from here would just say so so everyone can be of more help. Just inspecting time stamps on posts is of limited utility because so many members are in Australia and New Zealand.
I agree with you. Some people do make it clear from the start that they are from another country, others don't. Just as they should tell us, we also shouldn't be afraid to ask!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Jean Luc Picardy's Avatar
Jean Luc Picardy Jean Luc Picardy is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
A medical emergency is a medical emergency, but access to care isn't the same. Not only is access completely different, routines and customs are different as well. Do most dog owners in developing countries take their dogs to the vet for shots, spay/neuter/, regular check-ups?

Ah yes, but the OP had already stated that he had been to the vet so he obviously had access and knowledge so your point holds no water

The fact that you think the answers are "extremely obvious" is the reason that I made this post. The answers are obvious TO US, but not necessarily to someone with a completely different set of values.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with 'values'. It is about intelligence and , again, the OP had already established that he wasn't an idiot so once again your point is condescending



Yeah, I'm one of them. A**hole.

please learn to recognise when someones' tongue is planted firmly in their cheek...need me to 'splain that too?

It's a matter of culture and belief-systems. If you haven't figured that out already then there is no sense in me explaining it again. "Right and wrong" to us are completely different than "right and wrong" to different cultures.

this is not about right and wrong!! It's about medical care! The man had MAGGOTS coming out of his dog!


I have been here for a while, and unfortunately, I've noticed that people typically stay away from threads like this. What is so wrong with a bump for visibility?

gee I dunno. Some might find it self-serving. It's up to the readers to decide whether a post or thread is worthy of a long life, not the OP


Not really. There was another post there of a guy advertising his e-book or his website. He posted it in just about every training thread. I reported it to clean up the threads and to prevent people from getting roped into scams. Nice work, Sherlock.

oh I see. my mistake. I now know that you are the one to clear things through first

and don't call me names.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Lizmo's Avatar
Lizmo Lizmo is offline
Water Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AL
Posts: 17,300
Default

**Just for the record, I never saw the other thread**

I think Herschel has a very good point. Not everywhere is the same as the US. Lots of other countries do not have the resources and freedoms that we as Americans have. You can give advise, but you can't flame a person for trying everything -known- possible.
__________________

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Herschel Herschel is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: East Central Illinois
Posts: 3,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
**Just for the record, I never saw the other thread**

I think Herschel has a very good point. Not everywhere is the same as the US. Lots of other countries do not have the resources and freedoms that we as Americans have. You can give advise, but you can't flame a person for trying everything -known- possible.
Thanks.

Here it is. Be warned, it's kind of disturbing. He was trying to get a second opinion after his vet visit: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63703
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site