Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-19-2007, 03:00 AM
Active Pup

Exclamation Help!

Help! we got a new puppy a week ago. He is two months old. We took him to the vet yesterday and he told us that the puppy has Distemper. Does anyone have any ideas that might help him to survive?

This is not a joke. I am very worried about my dog. Please help!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:31 AM
HarleyD

Where'd you get him from that he hadn't already been given his shots to prevent distemper?
Did the vet not tell you anything about it?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:39 AM
HarleyD

The time between infection and disease is 14 to 18 days, although there can be a fever from three to six days postinfection. So you're pup probably had it before you got him.
The dog should be treated by a veterinarian, usually with antibiotics for secondary bacterial infections, intravenous fluids, and nutritional supplements. The prognosis is poor.
The virus is destroyed in the environment by routine cleaning with disinfectants, detergents, or drying. It does not survive in the environment for more than a few hours at room temperature (20-25 ***176;C), but can survive for a few weeks at temperatures slightly above freezing.

Young puppies between 3 and 6 months old are most susceptible to infection and disease and are more likely to die than infected adults.

Many diseases can cause symptoms resembling canine distemper and should be ruled out during diagnosis. Respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough and labored breathing) could be caused by bacterial pneumonia. Intestinal symptoms (e.g., vomiting and diarrhea) could be caused by gastroenteritis (an inflammatory bowel disease). Seizures and other neurological symptoms could be caused by toxoplasmosis (a protozoan infection) or epilepsy.

Treatment -
Since there's no cure for distemper, treatment is supportive.

Provide a clean, warm, draft-free environment.
Keep eyes and nose clear of discharge.
Give antiemetics (anti-nausea and anti-vomiting drugs) if there is vomiting.
Give antidiarrheals for diarrhea.
Monitor closely for dehydration. Dogs without an appetite that are experiencing vomiting and diarrhea may require intravenous rehydration therapy.
Antibiotics or bronchodilators are prescribed for pneumonia.
Anticonvulsants may partially control seizures. Many veterinarians prescribe them before seizures start.
Myoclonus is untreatable (and irreversible).
Puppies who recover but have hypoplasia (unenameled teeth that erode quickly) can have the enamel restored to prevent further tooth decay.
Glucocorticoid therapy can sometimes help blindness due to optic neuritis (inflammation of the optic nerve). This may help in the short term, but glucocorticoids weaken the immune system and may make symptoms worse.

Prognosis depends on the strain of canine distemper virus and the dog's immune response. After the initial fever subsides, the disease can progress in a number of ways.

More than half of all dogs die between 2 weeks and 3 months after infection, usually from central nervous system complications. Most veterinarians recommend euthanasia for dogs that suffer progressive, severe neurological complications.

Dogs that appear to recover may develop chronic or fatal central nervous system problems. Dogs with mild symptoms (e.g., myoclonus) may recover, though the symptoms can persist for several months or longer. Dogs with a strong immune response may never show any signs of infection. Once a dog has fully recovered, it no longer sheds the virus and is not contagious
Old 10-20-2007, 02:22 AM
Active Pup

Default Puppy

I got him at a pet shop. I do think he had it when I got him. Our vet did tell us to keep him warm and to give him a tablespoon of warm milk every hour. He also gave us a pill to give him twice a day. I just wanted to know if there was any thing else i could do for him. Thank you for the Info HarleyD.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:24 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Did your vet suggest anything else?

Old 10-20-2007, 03:06 AM
Bored Now.

Pedialite.. get the unflavored... if you're worried about hydration. DEFINITELY double-check with your vet first, though, but I've heard of a few instances where this has helped.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Top Dog

You might want to call the Pet Store and let them know that their puppies have Distemper.

Either that, or call your local newspaper and get a lawyer. A lot of us would argue that it is animal cruelty to knowingly sell puppies that have Distemper.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Dog Show Addict

I hope your vet specified what TYPE of milk to feed a puppy..
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 10-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Nerd View Post
I got him at a pet shop. I do think he had it when I got him. Our vet did tell us to keep him warm and to give him a tablespoon of warm milk every hour. He also gave us a pill to give him twice a day. I just wanted to know if there was any thing else i could do for him. Thank you for the Info HarleyD.
Dog Nerd, where are you from?
Old 10-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
Did your vet suggest anything else?
No that is all he told us to do.