Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Top Dog

Default I've Totally Lost It

I currently have nine dogs in my house. Flicka and Pepe. Matt's out of town, so his GSDs are here. And then my five fosters (two APBTS, two labs, and a GSD).

And do you know what I just did?

I agreed to take in the ten year old Sheltie who just got surrendered to our rescue.

I think I've lost it.

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat
Old 10-18-2007, 11:31 PM
BusterLove

lol yep, you've lost it.
Everyone thinks we're mad for having 4. Non-dog people go "OMG how do you have four dogs, I can barley have 1" and dog people go "oh wow, what breeds? boys or girls? That sounds lovley" lol

My biggest problemw would be finding time to excercise them all.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:13 AM
Puppy Dog

All I can say is...Good for you!!!

My goal in life is to have that many dogs, cats, turtles, fish, goats, alpacas, sheep etc etc I reeeaaaalllly need to win that darn lottery
Old 10-19-2007, 06:52 AM
BusterLove

lol I've thought about it and I don't think I'd have more than a max of 3 at the same time, lots of money on food, lots of time for walking and training and I don't think I personally could spread myself around that much. 2 would be my ideal number, when it comes to cats however! I could happily have 10, they don't require as much effort put into brining them up to be well behaved and I like high prey drive breeds, so the more dogs I have, the more danger I put my cats in.

Our 4 we really still have to watch with Elliot and thats why when he is outside they arn't because inside they are a lot better behaved. They arn't really dangerous to them but I won't deny they can get that pack mentality thing when they are all together so its just taking precautions.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:06 AM
feel the magic

see, this is why I LOVE going and walking the dogs at the kennel.

Think of someone who thinks they want to get pregnant and so someone gives them their child for the day. Sometimes it's good birth control, right?

That's how walking dogs at the kennel is for me. Sure, I fall in love with every single one of them, but I go home and can appreciate Ella's calm nature and the fact that she's clean, healthy, and just happy being with me.
I figure if I keep volunteering, it'll fill that desire for me to have another dog.
It sure makes me see how more than one dog complicates things a bit more (of course).

If Ella wasn't dog aggressive, though, I'd SURE be in some trouble because I'd have like 18 dogs or some ridiculous amount.

But for now, volunteering is good...dog/pet control.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:12 AM
<--------Orson

Yep, you've lost it

I know I couldn't handle it, but good if you can. I think you are about to find out either way! LOL
Old 10-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Top Dog

Those dogs are lucky to have you! Just think of all the extra kisses you'll be getting from the dogs
Old 10-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Top Dog

Ok...here's the full story...I was waaay too tired last night...

Our director is out of town (let's call her C), and therefore, L (who's like second in command) is in charge.

She gets a call at 8 PM last night, from a woman saying she needed to give up her Sheltie. They talk about the dog for awhile...what the dog is like and such...then L says "Well, we can coordinate a time for you to drop her off tomorrow-", and the woman goes "No, I need to get rid of her tonight. Right now. Otherwise my boyfriend's going to take her to the humane society right now if you don't take her."

So, knowing that the dog is ten, and that the humane society would put her down before you could say "senior citizen", L agrees to go pick up the dog, whose name is Missy, and she figures that she'll just keep her, considering she only has her dog, and one foster.

Well, L gets home, introduces Missy and the foster (who's a puppy)...they get along fine. Introduce Missy to her dog...not fine. Her dog went after Missy, if her dad hadn't been there, her dog would have killed her.

So L crates her dogs, and then spends the next two hours on the phone with all of our foster homes, and nobody wants to take her.

So she calls me last, in tears, because nobody will take her, and she can't keep her past tomorrow morning...so I said yes.

Miss Missy arrived this morning at 6:30 AM. She's a total doll - a little scared, but very friendly and quite the cuddler! She's currently in the kitchen, so she can see the big scary fosters outside, but she doesn't have to interact with them. I introduced her to Flicka and Pepe, and that went really well, but I'm keeping her seperated from the fosters for now - considering most of them haven't quite learned all their doggy manners, and sometimes they can be very "in your face" about it...

So far, so good...

-Rosefern

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat
Old 10-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Top Dog

Ooooo, I think we need pics!
Old 10-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

OMGoodness, you, of all people, deserve admiration!

3 are the perfect number for me right now, because I want to treat each of them as if they're the only one, so as of today I only have enough time & resources to do so with three. I can't promise about the future though

Thanks~Jessie~

I believe in the Sun, even when it's not shinning
I believe in Love, even when not feeling it

I believe in God, even when He's silent.