Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-19-2007, 11:15 AM
coonhound crazy

I'm lucky. Neither are really big barkers.

Conrad is kind of a "talker", like the huskies. He makes the wookie noises and little "woo!" noises. He also is the watchdog, and will give one BIG bark/howl when someone comes to the door. Just one. I can live with that. Sometimes though he looses control if he's really startled and it just comes out as "BAH-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" and he gets this kind of surprised look on his face like, "Did that come out of me?" If we're in an unfamiliar place like a hotel, he growls and chuffs when he hears people until he can figure out what the heck is going on and that those sounds don't predict any axe-murderers entering our room.

Marlowe, despite his breed, is not a big barker. When he does bark it is L-O-U-D but I can't even remember the last time he barked in the house when people were home. Outside while playing with Conrad, he can be kind of noisy. Their favorite game, for some reason because this does not sound fun to me at all, is for Conrad to grab something like a ball or a stick, and horde it while Marlowe barks in his ear. Whenever I try to get them involved in another game, or give Marlowe the object--he just gives it right back to Conrad so Conrad can horde it and Marlowe can bark in his ear. They are very weird dogs.

Things change a little when no one is home or they are kenneled. Conrad goes completely silent (I think he gets a little catatonic because of his SA) and Marlowe's the barker. He'll stop soon enough, but he'll usually go for a few minutes after we leave unless it's our normal every-day routine that he's used to.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Walks into Mordor

Neither of my dogs are big barkers. Voodoo barks to alert sometimes, but Zeus is my silent boy. He almost never barks.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

It's funny- the only time she barks is when she's trying to play with a dog who doesn't want to play with her. And then she barks like mad!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Big Dog

I don't think my cavalier even knows how to bark. I've only heard him make a few half-heartened attempts while playing, but it doesn't quite sound like a bark. He sometimes 'talks' with me when he wants something, though.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Top Dog

I have a Sheltie, so he does bark. But with training, it's not as ridiculous as many seem to believe it is. I let him alert bark, but he stops when I say "enough". He also barks when he gets excited during play or agility, but I don't mind that. He's just expressing himself.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Top Dog

The Pekes bark when ever they see a stranger or something out of place in the yard, and at stray cats.

Molly never barks unless she sees a stranger or a strange car pulls into the driveway.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Top Dog

My Husky/Shep talks all of the time. The typical husky Woo Woo, but rarely does she bark. My Saint, only barks if he is alerting me of something, other than that he has a whole language of snorts, sighs, and what we have dubbed his gorilla call, when he gets very exited his gorrila voice comes out. My beagle, well, he's a beagle who is going through adolesence right now, so when ever he wants something from us or one of the other dogs he starts to bay. We are working on correcting this behavior, but unfortunatley the other dogs reinforce him by letting him have whatever they have when he starts the obnoxious baying!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Top Dog

Meg is a Mountain Cur, and is not a big barker. I hear her probably 2 or 3 times a week max. Thankfully, because I have a pretty low tolerance for barking dogs and screaming horses .

Old 10-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Top Dog

Baron is almost always quiet unless there really is a reason to bark such as a stranger.

Gimli is a doxie. He barks a lot, and its not a yappy bark, people have thought it was one of the GSDs barking when he barks. He also gets noise when he plays with Duke or Baron and cant catch them.

There is a reason Duke has the nickname Wookiee. He's not super barky but if he's playing or sees something he's not sure on and wants to scare off. He does however have a good Chewbacca inpretion.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Active Pup

My crew is made up of mostly pit bulls and pit bull mixes, and all of them are rather noisy. If they don't bark, they whine. One of my females, Pixie, "screams" for attention (And it sounds just like a small child!)... Not my favorite sound in the whole world.

I also have a bulldog mix who is de-barked (We adopted him like that, no worries). He "barks" at intruders, but not much else.