Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Squishy22

Talking Is your dog a barker or no?

So is your dog a barker or a non barker? And what breed? I am just curious as to what dogs are barkers and compare the breeds. Ya know how they say all little dogs are barkers or all terriers are barkers?

My pittie isn't much of a barker, but he does bark a couple times when spooked or alerting me of a visitor at the door.

My chihuahua is a HUGE barker. She likes the sound of her own voice. She will even sit there and bark at NOTHING when she gets bored especially when everyone is asleep. She barks at strangers, vehicles, a leaf falling from a tree, a bird, etc. But it all depends on how bored she is at the moment. Having a newborn brought into the house very soon, an e-collar will be in place for her.

As far as previous dogs go. My chow barked very rarely and he made more of a howling sound/growl. My rottie barked, well... never, unless I gave her the "speak" command. My other previous chihuahua, a male, did bark, but only when I came home from work or if he seen another dog and thats it.

So what about your dogs????
Old 10-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Snow Girl

OC and Ronan hardly ever bark. In fact I can count the number of times OC has barked on one hand! HOWEVER they do talk a lot. It's similar to the noise made by Chewbaca but more if a sing-song howl in a way. Hard to describe although I have a recording of it if you are interested. But even the talking the only do at certain times (ex, greeting a new-comer, telling me i'm taking too long to open the kennel door, telling me I'm taking too long preparing dinner, telling me they dont feel like doing obedience right now, telling me its not fair that I won;t share my pizza, telling me....ok in all honesty often it's them complaining LOL I find it adorable though and would much rather listen to it than barking ANY DAY. In fact now if I have a barky dog around me I tend to get annoyed by it LOL.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 10-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Fishies!

Buster is a BC/ACD and for the breeds, barks very little.

I hate barking, I really can't stand it, so thats what I trained for. He jumps on people and pulls on a leash, but he does not bark! Well, he will occasionally, like if I leave some times, but he'll settle down on his commands.

He has developed quite the repertoire of whines to make up for it though
Old 10-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Flicka's not a barker - she'll sometimes bark when she's playing with the other dogs (only outside, though), and she'll bark when someone pulls up in the driveway or something. But that's about it.

Pepe isn't a huge barker, but he is a talker. Think Tosca Chewbacca noise-making sounds: clacking, honking, etc. He has his different noises/barks for different situations. There's his "you're ignoring me" voice, his "someone's here" voice, his "get away from me" voice...

Jackson isn't a barker either - he barks at people when they come to the house, but that's it. He'll play-growl up a storm when he's playing though...

-Rosefern

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat
Old 10-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_spirit View Post
OC and Ronan hardly ever bark. In fact I can count the number of times OC has barked on one hand! HOWEVER they do talk a lot. It's similar to the noise made by Chewbaca but more if a sing-song howl in a way. Hard to describe although I have a recording of it if you are interested. But even the talking the only do at certain times (ex, greeting a new-comer, telling me i'm taking too long to open the kennel door, telling me I'm taking too long preparing dinner, telling me they dont feel like doing obedience right now, telling me its not fair that I won;t share my pizza, telling me....ok in all honesty often it's them complaining LOL I find it adorable though and would much rather listen to it than barking ANY DAY. In fact now if I have a barky dog around me I tend to get annoyed by it LOL.
The "talking" you describe sounds a lot like my chow. He wasnt pure bred either. We were told that he was pure, but the older he got the less he looked like a chow. Maybe he was part husky or something? He was pure black with a white spot at the base of his tail, but the white spot had black tips, so you couldnt see it unless you parted the fur. Kinda weird. His muzzle was also slimmer than a full chow. Maybe I will get some pics of him on here some day.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_spirit View Post
\
LMAO sounds like my Sibes. I actually encourage that starnge noise from them though. But as far as barking they rarely bark. None of my dogs really bark. Not even when someone is at the door

Old 10-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Bored Now.

Middie barks...... he barks out of boredom or loneliness. Or at cats. got he barks at cats. I lost my temper at him today because he wouldn't stop howling at Chili. But generally if I am with him he wont bark at all. A couple "ooh LOOK somethings out there!" barks and then he looks at me like he expects ME to guard the door.. rofl.

Edit: He's 1/2 springer Spaniel.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

Both are, unfortunately, although Tips is worse Every time people walk down the street... So annoying.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:43 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I discourage barking from the get go. THere is a difference between a warning bark and just yammering your head off. THe first i allow, the second is uhnono. FOrever it took VIctor to get that through his head. He would get so excited when playing his mouth would start going and all activity would stop. THe toys would be put up. I would move on to something else. He figured it out. I think Mary helped, she stood there and swung her head back and forth...saying Mom don't like it.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
I discourage barking from the get go. THere is a difference between a warning bark and just yammering your head off. THe first i allow, the second is uhnono. FOrever it took VIctor to get that through his head. He would get so excited when playing his mouth would start going and all activity would stop. THe toys would be put up. I would move on to something else. He figured it out. I think Mary helped, she stood there and swung her head back and forth...saying Mom don't like it.
I give my chihuahua "the eye" right from the get go. She stops, but as soon as I look the other way and get back to my own business, she starts yapping her head off again. GAHHHH!!!