Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Top Dog

Definately get another opinion... something is not right. Someone already stated that maggots only eat dead tissue. If your dog has necrotic tissue forming .... something is WRONG. You need to get this checked out... it could lead to a massive infectinon and death could be the result.

Facebook link to Nancys creations:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Nan...28615003818171
Old 10-18-2007, 03:07 PM
<------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianK9 View Post
So if you have had it properly diagnosed and are treating it the way that has been identified and prescribed by your vet, a recognized DVM, why are you asking what is wrong? Do you not believe your vet has made a proper diagnosis and prescribing?

And in addition the maggot species that does eat living tissue is described as forming in mainly rancid conditions. Do you know when or where these conditions came from? identifying the source is usually the best step to the answer.
And just to add, have you been properly briefed on what is going to be done about the situation you have?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Yah maggots are definitely something you need to see the vet about. They won't eat into his organs but still, you should see a vet.

We had a cat come in once that had a hole, about a half inch in diameter, that had maggots falling out of it (yes, falling out of the hole, sickest thing I've ever seen) but the cat was OK after we cleaned away the dead tissue and patched up the hole.

So, yes, vet time.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 10-18-2007, 03:14 PM
coonhound crazy

Okay seriously, if my dog had HOLES in him and I was pulling maggots out of said holes, I would be in a car on my way to the emergency vet so fast it would make your head spin (after I got done puking because that is just disgusting). Even if it is one of the few bug larvae that will eat living tissue: BUGS ARE LIVING ON YOUR DOG! Do something about that! It is not in any way normal and the common name of all creatures that live off other living creatures is parasites.

If the first vet you went to won't tell you what is going on and how you can stop what is happening (though that makes my mind boggle just in and of itself), find one who will.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Top Dog

Anyone else beginning to think that these maggots are living off ??

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Anyone else beginning to think that these maggots are living off ??

That to me was never in doubt.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Active Pup

you people think that i am fine with my dog having holes . i spent the last two nights without a bit of sleep . as i have said in my first post my dog had diarrhea for a month which it was treated for . because of the diarrhea and drooling there couldve been dead tissues . and yea about the vet for your information i take my pets to the vet even if i see the slightest of discomfort in them . noddy is was given medicine for both his diarrhea and infection .

here is the prescription he is under

tab bayroxin
tab normetrogyl
stibs powder

tab zinetac

tab dremectin

t - bact ointment
siloderm ointment
clamil spray

and i took out all the remaining maggots myself yesterday and today and took him to the vet . i just posted here for a second opinion . people here can think twice before hurting someone .

and ya dexorange for iron and caldipet are the two vitamins i forgot to add .
Old 10-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Top Dog

Could this poster be talking about wolf worm?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Top Dog

I found this http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...lf_worm_in_dog it is not much info but this could be what is going on. I have heard of this before but I don't really know where to get good info on it. I don't think this is very common but I think it is higher if you live in a hot climate. Growing up I was told not to keep a dog outside very long if they had an open wound because bugs or worms or whatever could get in. Keep your dog inside until he heals and contact a vet. It seems to me the vet would clean and remove these things/worms. My advice is vet, keep him clean and keep him inside.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Top Dog

http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/botfly.html