Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Water Junkie

Uhm, no, she started after we went to the vet.

I'm going up their tomorrow for a class. I'll ask them about it.

I forgot to answer this question though...."Are allergens high in your area right now?"
No, allergies run very high here year-round.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Uhm, no, she started after we went to the vet.

I'm going up their tomorrow for a class. I'll ask them about it.

I forgot to answer this question though...."Are allergens high in your area right now?"
No, allergies run very high here year-round.
Specific allergens? For people or for dogs? (They react differently to different things than we do)
Old 10-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Water Junkie

No, just a high area for allergies. Nothing specific and we've not done a thing differently or had anything to eat thats not normal.

I'm going to try some Jac' Daniels (I think thats what it's called, it's canned fish/oil) to see if it'll help clear it up.

If it doesn't, I'll be changing foods.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
If it doesn't, I'll be changing foods.
Haha. OK. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:54 PM
<--------Orson

Is the "itching like crazy" just in one or two spots or basically all over?

I ask because a several months back Orson suffered some type of bite (as in an insect) It caused him severe itchiness in one spot, and a little bald spot about the size of a quarter appeared from the constant itching.

So if she got an ant bite/bites or some type of bug bite it could be that.......just throwing one more suggestion out there for ya to consider
Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Angel Chicken

Lizmo, someone recommended EarthBath's oatmeal shampoo for Kona.

Maybe try that before switching foods? I wouldn't switch Lizz's food unless this prollem had started right when she began to eat it. Food isn't always the basis of skin problems

Try to give her Benedryl also.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
Is the "itching like crazy" just in one or two spots or basically all over?

I ask because a several months back Orson suffered some type of bite (as in an insect) It caused him severe itchiness in one spot, and a little bald spot about the size of a quarter appeared from the constant itching.

So if she got an ant bite/bites or some type of bug bite it could be that.......just throwing one more suggestion out there for ya to consider
It's itching all over... Poor girl, she's driving herself crazy. I've looked her over completely a few times, and nothing. I hesitate to put flea medication on her for fear of it just making it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Chicken View Post
Lizmo, someone recommended EarthBath's oatmeal shampoo for Kona.

Maybe try that before switching foods? I wouldn't switch Lizz's food unless this prollem had started right when she began to eat it. Food isn't always the basis of skin problems

Try to give her Benedryl also.

I know, it may not be food related, but it can't continue the way it is now. And like I said before, nothings changed....it's really baffling. We have nothing in the yard she could have gotten into, and she's just had her regular bones/kibble.

I think I'll try the Benedryl after I get home from my class this afternoon. She's had problems in the past with medications like that, so I want to be home. I'll be talking to my vet about it today though.

l ~Jennifer~ l
Old 10-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Crazy Dog!

How old is Lizzie? Allergies tend to worsen as the dog gets older. A mild/medium allergy will usually show up anywhere from the ages of 12 months to 3 years. My oldest dog was allergy free for the first two years of her life, and now every summer it is getting more and more difficult having to deal with her allergies. You should get her in to the vet again to have her checked over.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Crazy Dog!

Also, have you re-bathed her. It is a possibility that you didn't get all of the soap out.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Water Junkie

Yup, I've re-bathed her.

She's 3.

l ~Jennifer~ l