Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-03-2007, 10:32 PM
feel the magic

I couldn't live without these ears!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Dafuq?

I prefer that the owner be able to choose for themselves. But all the dogs in my house are natural.

ETA: I would also prefer that breeders take ears into consideration when they breed, rather than just figuring they can crop them off anyway. So many people -- especially those showing in AKC/UKC -- crop ears that sometimes its hard to know who is going to throw nice ears and not. You're looking at a pedigree full of surgically-corrected ears.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...

Last edited by Bahamutt99; 10-03-2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: gah, grammar
Old 10-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Ella has absolutely irresistable ears.
Aside from my personal (rather strong) preference for natural ears on bully breeds (well on any breed, actually), cropped ears make them look incredibly more "intimidating." I know people who think they are frightening looking because of cropped ears. Of course it's a choice, I just would want to detract from anything that makes a targeted breed more frightening to a lot of the public, which is doubtful of and frightened them in the first place.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Top Dog

I don't mind the cropped look on Dobes, but on pits, I love the natural ears. I have to agree, in a breed that is routinely targeted as mean, it is much better to leave them with their ears. They don't look as mean with their natural ears and the natural ears help show off the goofy and expressive side of the pit bull much better.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
I prefer that the owner be able to choose for themselves. But all the dogs in my house are natural.

ETA: I would also prefer that breeders take ears into consideration when they breed, rather than just figuring they can crop them off anyway. So many people -- especially those showing in AKC/UKC -- crop ears that sometimes its hard to know who is going to throw nice ears and not. You're looking at a pedigree full of surgically-corrected ears.
I love the half-prick type ears on pit bulls. I believe they are more desirable than rose ears, but I could be wrong. I dont understand why breeders dont start breeding for NATURAL pleasing ears instead of taking the easy route by just chopping them off.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Top Dog

I agree, Reggin... just the other day my mom and I mistook a deerhead Chihuahua for a min pin from afar, and my mom asked why they don't just outbreed min pins to deerhead chis...
Old 10-04-2007, 03:13 AM
Dafuq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
I love the half-prick type ears on pit bulls. I believe they are more desirable than rose ears, but I could be wrong. I dont understand why breeders dont start breeding for NATURAL pleasing ears instead of taking the easy route by just chopping them off.
Half-prick ears are not as common. Its been said that a lot of judges dont' recognize a good half-prick earset, because the rose ears are much more frequent. Terra started off with one half-prick ear and one rose.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 10-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Top Dog

I personally am against cropping, its not a very pleasant procedure IMO. Anything that has to be done by a vet to make the look, is unnatural, and not worth it.

I prefer natural ears and tails in ALL dogs. I especially like natural dobie ears and tails. I wouldn't want a part my ears altered.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:17 AM
overdogged

personally i think mushroom's ears are perfect though luce's are much more entertaining.

and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Snow Girl

I'm fine with natural or cropped. I think both look good for its own reasons. However cropping just because the dog looks "sissy" natural, is stupid and unjustified! The reason I would crop if I were to get a Pit Bull is because of hog hunting.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"