Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-01-2007, 02:23 PM
feel the magic

Like Verberen said, APBTs have a very specific body type and what the average dog is considered too skinny at, is actually what an APBT is SUPPOSED to look like.
It's not uncommon to see almost all of the APBTs ribs while working.
Like this, this is Ella running:

You can see her ribs. Before I got her, I had NEVER seen a pair of ribs on a dog that wasn't extremely malnourished.

The only thing that would set off red flags for me (because you don't have a pic) is the protruding hip bones.

Ella should have more muscle on her, or...I WANT more muscle tone on her. I want her shoulders and arms to be more muscular than they are. But the only thing that will bulk that area up is weight pull and I cannot do that with her right now.

I wish you had a pic of the dog.

Eukanuba is probably not a food that is working for this dog. Being grain heavy (ier) which can often translate to sugar, it would stand to reason why the dog would be drinking more water.
If I feed Ella raw, she will barely drink any water. When I feed her kibble, she drinks TONS of water. And that's with high quality kibble.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Puppy Dog

I'll have to get a picture of him but it is funny cause he looks really good in his pictures. Before I met him in person his owners would come over and they showed us pictures of him Saying how skinny he is and everything. He is all white, but not albino. And I thought he was so pretty (not too skinny but perfect) but in person you are taken aback. I'll have to get a good side profile picture of him. Cause he looks good from the front where you mostly see his head but level to him and from the side you can see what I am talking about.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Dafuq?

I agree with upgrading the food. If the dog is really that hyper, he will need a higher quality kibble to keep up with his energy output. For a quick fix, he could do the satin balls recipe (its probably been mentioned on this forum, so try searching for it), but a long-term solution is also required.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 10-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Bored Now.

Yep.. higher quality kibbled including California Natural, Innova, Orijen, Eagle Pack, Canidae, etc etc. Spinal bones protruding is a BIG red flag as well as hip bones. I can feel Middie's hip bones, but not see then, and even that worries me. This pup's owners ought to be at least feeding him as much as he wants, if not switching to a better food, which he should gain weight on and eat less of.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethebulliedbreeds View Post
Yeah Eukanuba is that crappiest of the crappy. It is not a good quality of dog food at all.
Well my mom makes us buy the cheapest dog food she can find, because she cares more about herself than the dogs, but they look great. The food is like... 'Disney's Old Yeller Kibble' or something like that o_O But yeah, I've never heard of specific foods making a dog skinny... of course, our dogs also get an array of leftovers as a treat on weekends, so that may have something to do with it.