Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Too Skinny APBT!!!

My friend has a white very hyper APBT. He has been to the vet many time (once every two weeks) and nothing is ever found wrong with him except a slightly higher temp which happens when he gets nervous. But he is extremely skinny. Looking at him would make most people cringe, he looks as if he is starved. He is very active and drinks water almost uncontrollably and eats a little more than the recomended amount for their other APBT's weight. She is a big girl about 50-55 pounds. Any Ideas why her brother is so skinny and she is so fat? He is 5 so he should be thick but can't seem to gain any weight.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:04 PM
overdogged

have they done bloodwork?
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Show Dog

Do you have a pic of the dog? APBTs are not supposed to be big barrel chested dogs. I am just wondering if this dog is a typical rangier looking APBT. I get the "god your dog is thin" crap all the time about my one girl but she actually is in great shape and at the weight she should be.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

The symptoms described make it sound like diabetes. Especially the excessive water intake.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 10-01-2007, 01:40 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

Ideal weight for an APBT is this. You should easily be able to see the last two ribs. The other ribs should be noticeable when the dog curves its back.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Puppy Dog

They have done blood work and have found no abnormalities. Sugar level are normal so not diabetes. I think hyper thyroid or hypo. the one that makes you lose weight.

Quote:
Do you have a pic of the dog?
Don't have a picture, but this dog isn't just skinny. He is Gaunt. You can not just feel but clearly see more than his ribs. His hips portrude and his vertebrae is very visible. He does have muscle which you can see around his legs and face and he is no means frail but he looks like one of those dogs you see on extreme abuse cases. They even had a new nieghbor report them once just because she saw B walking the dog and thought they were starving him so he would be meaner in a fighting ring or something. *sigh* She is one of those ladies that thinks anyone expessially younger adult who one a pit type dog must belong to a fighting ring. She runs inside and slams the door everytime The dogs go on a walk and they are in harnesses, walking alongside B not even noticing. Plus they are but cuddle bears who love all the attention. I promise you his owners treat him very good.
BUt back to the subject. Does the dog just have a super high metabolism and if so is there any type of food to recomend? Something that will put some weight on him. Last time they checked he was I think 10-15 pounds overweight and he is the larger leaner looking type. His sister is the shorter thicker type.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:59 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

What kind of food is he eating right now?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Just try me..

Yes food is a biggie. Zo can't seem to keep weight on, on many types of (very good) kibble.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Puppy Dog

I am going to slaughter the spelling but Eukanuba.....Plus they used to get some vet gravy powder stuff. It is like the stuff they give body builders when they want to gain weight but for dogs. Don't know if they are still using that anymore though. I'll have to ask them tonight.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:18 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

Yeah Eukanuba is that crappiest of the crappy. It is not a good quality of dog food at all.

I would consider switching to Eagle Pack or something along those lines. Others will be able to give you advice on better choices of dog food for her.