Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 AM
<--------Orson

Old 09-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Top Dog

Hehe. I love that icon!

I'm personally against both cropping and docking (my dog was a adult rescue with a docked tail), but I don't believe it should be a law either way. I can't think of a single dog I like the look of better when they are cropped, and the more I see of traditionally docked dogs with their tails (dobies, cockers, and rotties I've seen lately), the more I like the look of them.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Bored Now.

OMG Coop STOP beating the dead horse!!!!

We've had wayyyy too many of these threads, lmao. And that's just since I've been here.

Anywho. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the subject--and that is exactly what everything we have to say on the subject is--an opinion. My very own opinion is that if the docking, cropping, dewclaw removal, etc is done humanely and properly, preferably by an experienced veterinarian with painkillers if necessary, it is perfectly fine. There are far worse things to be targeting than docking and cropping, such as, oh, maybe animal abuse, cruelty, neglect.

If you're some scumbag using scissors to chop off your dogs ear or a saw to get their tail, I hope you rot in hell or at least in jail for animal cruelty.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Well, other than my question about when its done, I'd say given the choice I'd prefer not to have my dog cropped or docked. But if the breeder did it routinely, then I'd accept that. I personally think it should be dropped from the standards, but until that happens, I can't blame breeders for having it done. I doubt the dogs remember it, though it may have some effect on temperment. As for dewclaws, Sarama, being a mix, has hers and she'll keep them. I kinda wish they'd been removed when she was tiny though . .we spend enough time in the country that I worry about her tearing one.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:43 PM
~Lisa~

I dont mind it at all.\

Somtimes i feel bad for the por dogs.
How long do ears normaly take to heal?

I do feel bad for the poor dogs whos ears dont stand at all, or take forever to stand. There is a sweet dobe puppy about 7 or 8 months old and STILL has the tape on his ears, they just wont stand. I always thought he process was quick (like a month until the tape comes off) He got them done at 2 months, I think it is a lossed cause for Diseal (the dobe pup)
Old 09-26-2007, 06:03 PM
woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
Well, other than my question about when its done, I'd say given the choice I'd prefer not to have my dog cropped or docked. But if the breeder did it routinely, then I'd accept that. I personally think it should be dropped from the standards, but until that happens, I can't blame breeders for having it done. I doubt the dogs remember it, though it may have some effect on temperment. As for dewclaws, Sarama, being a mix, has hers and she'll keep them. I kinda wish they'd been removed when she was tiny though . .we spend enough time in the country that I worry about her tearing one.
Agree!! I wish some standars can change.

For the poodles they don't or give you the options. and a poodle is one of the breeds in my high possible getting list.

I prefer an undocked puppy but the standar says it has to be cut, so all breeders would do it. :/
Old 09-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankstar View Post
I dont mind it at all.\

I do feel bad for the poor dogs whos ears dont stand at all, or take forever to stand. There is a sweet dobe puppy about 7 or 8 months old and STILL has the tape on his ears, they just wont stand. I always thought he process was quick (like a month until the tape comes off) He got them done at 2 months, I think it is a lossed cause for Diseal (the dobe pup)
It's not a lost cause, they can take till a year or so to stand. The healing process is very quick, however.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:28 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankstar View Post
I dont mind it at all.\

The ears are normally all healed up in about 7-10 days. Like any cut that you or I would have.......they go back and get the stitches removed.

The taping of the ears IS NOT a healing process, it is just a "training the ears to stand" process. When taped properly, it shouldn't cause the pup any pain and VERY minimal discomfort (if any) And the amount of time taped can be affected by the length of crop and ear cartlidge of the pup in question. Longer crop = longer taping time (normally) and shorter = shorter. Good ear cartlidge also matters.........

Orson was in a brace right after the crop until the stitches were removed, and then in tapes for about 2 months. And they didn't affect or slow him down one bit, LOL
Old 09-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Top Dog

I really hate the look of cropped dobermans....while natural-eared dobies, to me, are drop dead gorgeous.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Salty Sea Dog

personally i dont mind docking or dewclaws because its done sooo early, our vet wont even consider it it the pups are older than 3 days. the healing time is a day or so.
the breeds that are usually docked tend to have weaker tails and more prone to damage.

however ears i dont like for the most part. its purley cosmetic on MOST dogs (i have no problem if its done on a dog who suffers chronic ear infections ect)

but mabe thats because im origionally from the uk where the practice has been banned for a LONG time and considered barbaric.
Im so used to seeing natural eared dogs that i just simply dont like the look of cropped ears.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets