Cropping & Docking - For or Against?

BostonBanker

Hehe. I love that icon!

I'm personally against both cropping and docking (my dog was a adult rescue with a docked tail), but I don't believe it should be a law either way. I can't think of a single dog I like the look of better when they are cropped, and the more I see of traditionally docked dogs with their tails (dobies, cockers, and rotties I've seen lately), the more I like the look of them.

noludoru

Bored Now.
OMG Coop STOP beating the dead horse!!!! ;)

We've had wayyyy too many of these threads, lmao. And that's just since I've been here.

Anywho. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the subject--and that is exactly what everything we have to say on the subject is--an opinion. My very own opinion is that if the docking, cropping, dewclaw removal, etc is done humanely and properly, preferably by an experienced veterinarian with painkillers if necessary, it is perfectly fine. There are far worse things to be targeting than docking and cropping, such as, oh, maybe animal abuse, cruelty, neglect.

If you're some scumbag using scissors to chop off your dogs ear or a saw to get their tail, I hope you rot in hell or at least in jail for animal cruelty.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Well, other than my question about when its done, I'd say given the choice I'd prefer not to have my dog cropped or docked. But if the breeder did it routinely, then I'd accept that. I personally think it should be dropped from the standards, but until that happens, I can't blame breeders for having it done. I doubt the dogs remember it, though it may have some effect on temperment. As for dewclaws, Sarama, being a mix, has hers and she'll keep them. I kinda wish they'd been removed when she was tiny though . .we spend enough time in the country that I worry about her tearing one.

I dont mind it at all.\

Somtimes i feel bad for the por dogs.
How long do ears normaly take to heal?

I do feel bad for the poor dogs whos ears dont stand at all, or take forever to stand. There is a sweet dobe puppy about 7 or 8 months old and STILL has the tape on his ears, they just wont stand. I always thought he process was quick (like a month until the tape comes off) He got them done at 2 months, I think it is a lossed cause for Diseal (the dobe pup)

Well, other than my question about when its done, I'd say given the choice I'd prefer not to have my dog cropped or docked. But if the breeder did it routinely, then I'd accept that. I personally think it should be dropped from the standards, but until that happens, I can't blame breeders for having it done. I doubt the dogs remember it, though it may have some effect on temperment. As for dewclaws, Sarama, being a mix, has hers and she'll keep them. I kinda wish they'd been removed when she was tiny though . .we spend enough time in the country that I worry about her tearing one.
Agree!! I wish some standars can change.

For the poodles they don't or give you the options. :( and a poodle is one of the breeds in my high possible getting list.

I prefer an undocked puppy but the standar says it has to be cut, so all breeders would do it. :/

noludoru

Bored Now.
I dont mind it at all.\

I do feel bad for the poor dogs whos ears dont stand at all, or take forever to stand. There is a sweet dobe puppy about 7 or 8 months old and STILL has the tape on his ears, they just wont stand. I always thought he process was quick (like a month until the tape comes off) He got them done at 2 months, I think it is a lossed cause for Diseal (the dobe pup)
It's not a lost cause, they can take till a year or so to stand. The healing process is very quick, however.

ACooper

I dont mind it at all.\

The ears are normally all healed up in about 7-10 days. Like any cut that you or I would have.......they go back and get the stitches removed.

The taping of the ears IS NOT a healing process, it is just a "training the ears to stand" process. When taped properly, it shouldn't cause the pup any pain and VERY minimal discomfort (if any) And the amount of time taped can be affected by the length of crop and ear cartlidge of the pup in question. Longer crop = longer taping time (normally) and shorter = shorter. Good ear cartlidge also matters.........

Orson was in a brace right after the crop until the stitches were removed, and then in tapes for about 2 months. And they didn't affect or slow him down one bit, LOL

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
personally i dont mind docking or dewclaws because its done sooo early, our vet wont even consider it it the pups are older than 3 days. the healing time is a day or so.
the breeds that are usually docked tend to have weaker tails and more prone to damage.

however ears i dont like for the most part. its purley cosmetic on MOST dogs (i have no problem if its done on a dog who suffers chronic ear infections ect)

but mabe thats because im origionally from the uk where the practice has been banned for a LONG time and considered barbaric.
Im so used to seeing natural eared dogs that i just simply dont like the look of cropped ears.

The ears are normally all healed up in about 7-10 days. Like any cut that you or I would have.......they go back and get the stitches removed.

The taping of the ears IS NOT a healing process, it is just a "training the ears to stand" process. When taped properly, it shouldn't cause the pup any pain and VERY minimal discomfort (if any) And the amount of time taped can be affected by the length of crop and ear cartlidge of the pup in question. Longer crop = longer taping time (normally) and shorter = shorter. Good ear cartlidge also matters.........

Orson was in a brace right after the crop until the stitches were removed, and then in tapes for about 2 months. And they didn't affect or slow him down one bit, LOL
Oh I didnt mean the taping was healing, just helping so to say keep them stand. No diseal is not effected by them at all, he is a true dobermonster at the dog park, making any one and every one play with him lol. I just hate seeing those things on his ears for the last 5 months, just seems like such a long time. Hopefully his will be of soon.

Either way a dobe looks good to me with or with our ears. I met a "blue" doberman today with at the dog park nautral ears, he looked like a weimeranir (sp) witht he dobie tan points lol.

Last edited:

ACooper

Oh I didnt mean the taping was healing, just helping so to say keep them stand. No diseal is not effected by them at all, he is a true dobermonster at the dog park, making any one and every one play with him lol. I just hate seeing those things on his ears for the last 5 months, just seems like such a long time. Hopefully his will be of soon.

Either way a dobe looks good to me with or with our ears. I met a "blue" doberman today with at the dog park nautral ears, he looked like a weimeranir (sp) witht he dobie tan points lol.
Sorry if that came across wrong......LOL, You would be surprised at the people who thought Orson was injured with his ears taped! I got "Oh, what happened to him.......poor baby" all the time. They saw the white tape and thought bandages, LOL

Also, most people on the street don't even realize that dobes do not "come" with ears standing.......they don't even know that they must be cropped! I explained it quite a few times, then just starting saying they were being trained to stand so I didn't have to feel like a broken record, hehehehe

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I've had people come up to my dogs and say, "WOW... your dogs arent cropped... how did you get a Doberman with uncropped ears?"

Um.... they ARE cropped, it's just that their ears match their heads so it doesn't look out of place...

Sorry if that came across wrong......LOL, You would be surprised at the people who thought Orson was injured with his ears taped! I got "Oh, what happened to him.......poor baby" all the time. They saw the white tape and thought bandages, LOL

Also, most people on the street don't even realize that dobes do not "come" with ears standing.......they don't even know that they must be cropped! I explained it quite a few times, then just starting saying they were being trained to stand so I didn't have to feel like a broken record, hehehehe
Yea I had to tell my boyfriend they didnt come like that either. he though all cropped dogs came like that (dobes, pits, great danes ect) Thats why he wants a rotti now, he doesnt want to have to crop the dobes ears. lol. I told him you dont have to, its a choice, but if you want to show you would have to. I loe the look of a good crop. Most people just think dogs come as they are, most collie ears have to be trained to "tip" I never botherd with it just becuase he is a pet store dog and wouldnt be shown ever any way. But we did do it to the childhood collie we had.

I know what you mean witht he bandages. At the dog park when I walk with diseal many people stop and ask what happened to him. Did he have a accident? Did a dog chew his ears up? then while the owner and I explain they are cropped, you get wierd stares like "huh? I thought they just came "tipped" then offcourse some people go on and on about how cruel it is.

I rescued a one year old Mini Schnauzer that was already cropped and docked. Given the choice, I would not have any dog cropped or docked unless it was a necessity for the safety of a working dog. I, personally, do not think it's right to perform either procedure simply for the look of it.

KT07

Why would a working police dog have to be cropped or docked? Most police dogs are German Shepherds, Belgian Malinois, and Labs . . . none of which are breeds who get cropped or docked.
Some people in the police force have said that their dogs have had their tails damaged during work e.g. getting trapped in a door whilst chasing a criminal so the dog is in pain and the criminal gets away.

verderben

Even if someone does choose to do it, I think they should be given the option. I had a min pin once, and she came docked. :\
You dont get the option of chooseing with breeds like that because they have to be docked at 3 days old. Now if you are on a list before the pup is born and have say 1st pick and are willing to pick when the pup is a day old AND pay for the pup in full at 1 day old then YES you should be allowed to decide if you want the dog docked or not. Otherwise you just have to suck it up and deal with it, or get a breed that is not docked. I think people should be allowed to choose because if you outlaw cropping and docking at a proper vet office then people will start doing it at home in thier basement. Around here the closest vet that will "do" an APBT or Am Staff is an hour away, thus we see ALOT of bad basement crops. If it isn't accessable people will do it thierselves which IMO is worse than having a vet do a proper dock or crop.

ACooper

we see ALOT of bad basement crops. If it isn't accessable people will do it thierselves
And they should be punished to the full extent for animal cruelty! I can't imagine doing something so insane as to hack and cut on an animal without anesthesia, pain meds, and PROPER training! IMO that would be the same as attempted murder to ANY animal...........

verderben

And they should be punished to the full extent for animal cruelty! I can't imagine doing something so insane as to hack and cut on an animal without anesthesia, pain meds, and PROPER training! IMO that would be the same as attempted murder to ANY animal...........
Oh I agree they should be. But do you really think if AC comes knockin they will say "sure officer I cut em myself". No they will just lie and say oh It was done before I got it or some other bs excuse.

Members online

No members online now.