Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
You have to watch out with some of the standard flea bombs and shampoos, they can be extremely toxic.

Just keep using the Frontline and that should help a lot. Try spreading boric acid or diatomaceous earth on your carpet, leaving for a couple of days and then vacuuming it up. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/all...a-control.html

http://www.hartzvictims.org
well.. the bottom floor is all hardwood floring.. and can one leave boric acid or diatomaceous earth down /w the dogs out? i don't live near anyone i could keep the dogs at their place.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
You have to watch out with some of the standard flea bombs and shampoos, they can be extremely toxic.

Just keep using the Frontline and that should help a lot. Try spreading boric acid or diatomaceous earth on your carpet, leaving for a couple of days and then vacuuming it up. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/all...a-control.html

http://www.hartzvictims.org
Can't boric acid kill pets? Correct me if I'm wrong I always heard it was toxic what if the dog licked the carpet?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:30 AM
Top Dog

Are you using Frontline plus? How long have you been using it? When we first started I found out you have to give it awhile to kill all the fleas it gets the eggs and everything but it is not instant. My dog has flea allergy so if he gets one flea bite he will get red around the area and get real itchy and the more he scratches the more it will spread. I bought him some herbal itch relief spray and some herbal numbing pads if he gets bad off I use that on him but it is rare now that it happens since he has been on Frontline Plus.

The Frontline and the oatmeal bath has really done the trick. We have never had to spray for fleas Frontline Plus has taken care of the whole cycle of fleas. I have heard from people on here that it may stop working after awhile and you will have to switch to another flea med but this has not happened to us yet.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Puppy Dog

Welp, im stupid.. i did my own research.. and ima go get some of this DE stuff for the house.. or i am going to make this Citrus extract thing. Seems like id be simmering lots of lemons tomorrow...
Old 09-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Advantage and the like can take up to 12 hours to kill fleas. If you want 'instant' give the dog a capstar, it'll kill all the fleas on the dog within 30 minutes and keep them off for 24 hours.

Also remember not to bathe your dog two days before or after application of a topical flea treatment as it ruins the oils in the coat or strips off the flea treatment unless it's not a harsh shampoo.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 09-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Puppy Dog

has anyone heard of giving the dog half a pill of benedril for their itching? my roomates girlfriend works in a vets and said its what they do.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:25 PM
I run with scissors

You need to determine the cause of the itching before you start giving meds. The dog could have anything from a bacterial infection or fungal infection to a parasite or an allergy. Sounds to me like it might be time for a vet visit. You don't want to give unnecessary medications that are not going to help anyway.

But to answer your question, if a vet determines that your dog has allergies, you can give Benadryl WITHOUT decongestant. 1 mg per pound.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Top Dog

I had a stray pug for a few days who was infested !! When I took her in to see if she had a chip , I bought a capstar .... sure worked !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Puppy Dog

i really don't think he has anything internal. he was just at the vets not a week or two ago and was on metronidezal. and i have found a few fleas on his back side..
Old 09-24-2007, 03:50 PM
I run with scissors

Metronidazole is an antibiotic, which still does not rule out fungal infection or parasite. Did they do a skin scraping?

You are probably right that the problem is fleas if you are seeing them. Is the Frontline you used working? Remember that you can not bathe the dog 48 hours before or after using Frontline or Advantix, otherwise it will not be effective.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.